RIAT 2015

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
David P

Re: RIAT 2015

Post by David P »

This was for real at Farnborough a year ago - sounds like today was better still...

Image140719-1431-723C6658.jpg by David Pearson, on Flickr

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Last Vulcan pass was something special.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

@flankere

That's Peter. FRIAT legend. He didn't do it during the synchro as i recall, I thought it was during the (pretty pants imo) Hawk T2s. But I might be wrong. Anyway, Peter is great and a big part of the atmosphere in the stand.

Flyforfun

Post by Flyforfun »

Its a shame the Vulcan did such a good display in its final year ,maybe if they displayed like that from the beginning they might have got more money !

paulb1973

Post by paulb1973 »

Someone has been quick [not mine] and posted the Vulcan take-off on You Tube, although the zoom climb and steep wingover at the end was even more dramatic, I've seen a few Kev Rumens displays, but not quite like that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGt--x_vq_M
Last edited by paulb1973 on Sat 18 Jul 2015, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

b1rdman

Post by b1rdman »

What I don't like are the fast jet fast passes that don't seem very fast! I know there are restrictions but surely you can push it a little bit!

Markie

Post by Markie »

I'm pretty sure it was Withers at Yeovilton last week, was a very tame display. Hope it is Rumens again tomorrow

inamo

Post by inamo »

Any top tips for a newbie? It's my first trip to RIAT tomorrow :) not really sure what to expect!

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Really excited for tomorrow, weather is looking a damn sight better than what they were predicting 24 hours ago and all this talk of an incredible Vulcan display has got me :yahoo:

Simon Nicholls

Post by Simon Nicholls »

Can anyone confirm if the Vulcan will be departing tomorrow?

DanH

Post by DanH »

I'm sitting outside my tent and heard the announcements from the hangar party drifting up the hill. Managed to hear that 558 won the 'As the crow flies trophy'. :clap:
Always seeking to lower the tone...

https://danhphotography.picfair.com/

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

DanH wrote:I'm sitting outside my tent and heard the announcements from the hangar party drifting up the hill. Managed to hear that 558 won the 'As the crow flies trophy'. :clap:

Not surprised, I believe the Typhoon/Spit duo has won one too.

The RAF A400M got best static.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

I dont think I've ever seen anything more dutch than the crew of the Hercules playing hardcore full blast.

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Did they backtrack some of the display items based at the eastern end of the airfield down the main runway again today? I wonder why they didn't use the taxiway as normal?

I wonder why they did that, as they would have saved some time using the taxiway?

To prevent the guys at Rhymes farm from getting some good pics???

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Did anyone else think the mig 29 was going to run out of runway on sat? :biggrin:

utopiaplanitia

Post by utopiaplanitia »

UKTopgun wrote:Did anyone else think the mig 29 was going to run out of runway on sat? :biggrin:

Thought he was going to have to pop a chute or do a go around.
Excellent display apart from doing the backwards tail-slide whilst in cloud.....Doh!

Slinky Wizard

Post by Slinky Wizard »

Dare I suggest we could be looking at 09 departures today? Winds currently light and from the east, and loads of stuff being dragged up towards us in P&V west..

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

The Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) demonstrated its Kawasaki P-1 maritime patrol aircraft (MPA) to a potential operator on 17 July, although officials declined to name exactly who.

A 'customer' demonstration flight was conducted out of Royal Air Force (RAF) Fairford during the first day of the Royal International Air Tattoo (RIAT), although the chief of the service's air arm would not comment on precisely who was on board the aircraft.

"We are at RIAT for such a short time," said Vice Admiral Makoto Sato, Commander Fleet Air Force, JMSDF, "but we hope we can show the P-1's high manoeuvrability and low-level capabilities to Europe and the world. We did conduct a demo flight [on 17 July], but I am not saying who to."

http://www.janes.com/article/53074/jmsdf-demos-p-1-to-undisclosed-party-at-riat

Ray Purchase

Post by Ray Purchase »

Whilst walking round the static, noticed a urine bag/catheter on the floor (near the KC135).
If anyone lost it, I picked it up and have got it. Let me know if it's yours.

In other news, always heard on the radio about traffic problems at the 'Air Balloon roundabout' on the A147 but never thought twice about it. Now I know why it's always mentioned, spent an hour and a half crawling for 5 miles. What makes it worse is the fact I was out of the base and tootling along without any problems.
That was the best full English breakfast I've had since Gary Wilmot's wedding.

countryman

Post by countryman »

Ray Purchase wrote:Whilst walking round the static, noticed a urine bag/catheter on the floor (near the KC135).
If anyone lost it, I picked it up and have got it. Let me know if it's yours.

In other news, always heard on the radio about traffic problems at the 'Air Balloon roundabout' on the A147 but never thought twice about it. Now I know why it's always mentioned, spent an hour and a half crawling for 5 miles. What makes it worse is the fact I was out of the base and tootling along without any problems.

That place is notorious. There are ways around it ! :whistle:

Ray Purchase

Post by Ray Purchase »

If no one claims it, I'll rinse it out and use it next year- result!
That was the best full English breakfast I've had since Gary Wilmot's wedding.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Ray Purchase wrote:In other news, always heard on the radio about traffic problems at the 'Air Balloon roundabout' on the A147 but never thought twice about it. Now I know why it's always mentioned, spent an hour and a half crawling for 5 miles. What makes it worse is the fact I was out of the base and tootling along without any problems.

I hadn't heard about it and after my dad and I were congratulating ourselves on a quick get away we hit the bottleneck! :wall: We took and extra hour at a crawling pace along 5 miles of road :mad:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

countryman

Post by countryman »

Pringles wrote:
Ray Purchase wrote:In other news, always heard on the radio about traffic problems at the 'Air Balloon roundabout' on the A147 but never thought twice about it. Now I know why it's always mentioned, spent an hour and a half crawling for 5 miles. What makes it worse is the fact I was out of the base and tootling along without any problems.

I hadn't heard about it and after my dad and I were congratulating ourselves on a quick get away we hit the bottleneck! :wall: We took and extra hour at a crawling pace along 5 miles of road :mad:

Dive off before and go via Stroud (assuming you want the M5)

mikek

Post by mikek »

countryman wrote:
Pringles wrote:

I think they are home now.
Handsomest UKAR member.

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

mikek wrote:
countryman wrote:
Pringles wrote:

I think they are home now.

:lol: :lol: :lol: