RIAT 2015

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Albion143

Re: RIAT 2015

Post by Albion143 »

Well that was the best week ever in a long time at Fairford, highlights for me were Ramex Delta (just WOW) and Patrouille De France (quality display with some different shapes). Lowlights have got to be that TTTE thing, when my mum who has never been to a big airshow says wha my was the point in them you realise how much of a waste of time it was (how it won an award I never know) and also the BoB fly past. If your going to do something like that let the Duxford boys organise it as BBMF really don't know how to fly warbirds!

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Albion143 wrote: BBMF really don't know how to fly warbirds!

BBMF don't fly war birds. :whistle: :biggrin:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Ray Purchase

Post by Ray Purchase »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Albion143 wrote: BBMF really don't know how to fly warbirds!

BBMF don't fly war birds. :whistle: :biggrin:

Brian

So what's the definition of a 'war bird'? I'd assumed it was a type of aeroplane that had flown in the war?
That was the best full English breakfast I've had since Gary Wilmot's wedding.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Ray Purchase wrote:So what's the definition of a 'war bird'? I'd assumed it was a type of aeroplane that had flown in the war?

On the subject of warbirds, Wikipedia lists the following definition:

A warbird is any vintage military aircraft now operated by civilian organizations and individuals or, in some instances, by historic arms of military forces, such as the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, the RAAF Museum Historic Flight and the South African Air Force Museum Historic Flight.

Not sure if 'war bird' has a different meaning though...
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Despite Wiki's definition , isn't it the old argument that a 'warbird' is one that's ex-military & now operated by civilians ?
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

The definition of a war bird is basically any ex-military aircraft that is now flown with a civil registration.

BBMF aircraft are not ex-military as they stayed on the RAF inventory but just to confuse matters I think some of them did fly with civil registrations after the war but are now back in their military markings.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Brevet Cable wrote:Despite Wiki's definition , isn't it the old argument that a 'warbird' is one that's ex-military & now operated by civilians ?

Might be argued by some, but what difference does it make, really?

P7350 is a Battle of Britain veteran, but doesn't count as a "warbird" because it's still operated on the military register...? Nonsense. When it's sent to fight ISIS, I might listen...

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Maybe you should address your question to 'Pen Pusher' , given that he confirmed and elaborated upon my post. :whistle:
As for P7350....along with AB910 , it was 'sold out of service' after WW2 ( but unlike AB910 it was apparently never on the civilian register )
아직도 숨어있다

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Brevet Cable wrote:Maybe you should address your question to 'Pen Pusher' , given that he confirmed and elaborated upon my post. :whistle:

You raised the point first and referenced the Wiki definition I posted, so I replied to your message. If it were a message direct to you, I'd have sent a PM.

Brevet Cable wrote:As for P7350....along with AB910 , it was 'sold out of service' after WW2 ( but unlike AB910 it was apparently never on the civilian register )

And your point is...?

They're warbirds (one word). End of.

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

Loved this scheme.

ImageUntitled by Radleigh Bushell, on Flickr
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

also, I think the break will bring renewed love for the Lancaster next year
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Arthur Tee

Post by Arthur Tee »

pbeardmore wrote:also, I think the break will bring renewed love for the Lancaster next year

..and also possibly - its' younger brother - the Shackleton!

Arthur
Canon PowerShot SX40HS - It's not what you've got - it's what you do with it!

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Honestly, i hugely appreciate the heritage of the Lancaster, I just can't get into watching it display.

I actually think they should display it less, and make more special when it does.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

G-CVIX wrote:Honestly, i hugely appreciate the heritage of the Lancaster, I just can't get into watching it display.

I actually think they should display it less, and make more special when it does.

As with the rest of the BBMF fleet, it's seldom flown very well from the inside of a venue (Blenheim display is a master class that BBMF should try to emulate), but it's also very rare that you actually get to see the thing up close at any shows. I get the argument that they're a commemorative item and they try to get to as many flypasts as possible, but perhaps every now and again they should focus on bringing the aircraft to the public in such a fashion that they can get a meaningful experience from it, rather than just a fleeting appearance before they're off to the next. As someone said during the Lanc tour last summer, they spread themselves too thin.

They don't land the Lancaster at Duxford any longer, and with the loss of Kemble and Biggin Hill as major airshow venues, when do you ever see it on the ground at an airshow besides RIAT/Waddington too? Even Farnborough last year had a single Lancaster flypast across the entire seven day span. As with many other aircraft, the take-off of the Lancaster is something to behold, and something all too rarely seen outside of Lincolnshire.

Another example - last week they had six of the fighters at North Weald for a corporate event for a sponsor, that was kept under wraps. When was the last time you saw six BBMF fighters parked on the ground at a public air display that wasn't RIAT (were they even accessible from the crowdline, or parked north side as usual?)? Even at Headcorn, which had four of them on the ground, they weren't parked in a position that made them very accessible to the crowds and they were already tucked away inside the hangar before the flying display had ended. Why is it so difficult to see these machines up close? When they're displayed as poorly as they are, it's the fleeting appearances on the ground at an airshow that really get me interested in them. A take-off and a landing are worth a hundred underside passes...

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Arthur Tee wrote:
pbeardmore wrote:also, I think the break will bring renewed love for the Lancaster next year

..and also possibly - its' younger brother - the Shackleton!

Arthur

for 2016? a long shot but it would be good
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Extract from today's VTST newsletter article about the Saturday display ( interview with Kev Rumens ) :
'The take off was a display take off, I wasn’t permitted to turn below 50ft, so I hung on until 100ft before pulling a hard right
(snip)
I always aim to use 135 degrees of bank in the wing over. It is a little harder to judge after a zoom climb, because of the nose of the aircraft. It’s a lot higher and therefore the horizon is harder to see. On Saturday, I aimed for 135 degrees as normal but in reality I think I ended up around 150 degrees’.

Forgot to say.....
The newsletter also included a link to a video of the full Saturday display : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elyWH5NKoZE
아직도 숨어있다

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

boff180 wrote:Too early for a 2015 thread? Well no not really.

Andy

Very tardy in starting the 2016 tread
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

-
Last edited by Flare Path on Tue 21 Jul 2015, 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanH

Post by DanH »

Does anyone have a final count of how many aircraft actually attended in the end?
Always seeking to lower the tone...

https://danhphotography.picfair.com/

T6NL

Post by T6NL »

:lol:

I'm sorry , had to post this.

I just watched some small clip I took of my daughter near to where the Extreme Zone thing was. And all I heard in the background over the mic was......

"Now that's what air time looks like............. IN YOUR FACE VULCAN"

:rock:

Cringe!!!!

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Now I know there are some on here who go to airshows merely to collect the aircraft serial numbers.
The weirdest thing I saw this year , though ??.......someone going around photographing the data-plates on the aircraft tow-bars !!
Didn't see him take photos of any of the aircraft or even the actual tow-bars , just the data-plates.
Anyone beat that ??
아직도 숨어있다

MarkL
UKAR Supporter

Post by MarkL »

Brevet Cable wrote:Now I know there are some on here who go to airshows merely to collect the aircraft serial numbers.
The weirdest thing I saw this year , though ??.......someone going around photographing the data-plates on the aircraft tow-bars !!
Didn't see him take photos of any of the aircraft or even the actual tow-bars , just the data-plates.
Anyone beat that ??

Well, there was this Welsh guy walking the crowd lines checking for 10m tent and gazebo infringements, then hanging around until the end of the show and nicking all the fold up chairs and other bits and bobs.....
HTAFC

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Not guilty......the bin-men got to all the chairs & stuff first , because they had a vehicle. :whistle:
아직도 숨어있다

ukaskew

Post by ukaskew »

Did the Ospreys leave on Monday? Two of them buzzing about on a path directly over my house (near Trowbridge, Wiltshire) tonight, same path that the B2s take on their visits to Fairford. Not seen them here before.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Seems the U-2s were delayed a few days to take in the show.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program