Even more expensive hotels.

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
boff180
UKAR Staff

Even more expensive hotels.

Post by boff180 »

Well, I rang a hotel in Swindon today which is usually £55 per night.

Their quote for RIAT2009... £130 per night!

Looks like the price hikes are going to be much higher than last year!

Andy

Russ

Re: Even more expensive hotels.

Post by Russ »

That's disgusting! :mad:

Glenn Beasley

Post by Glenn Beasley »

Shockling, scandalous money racketing! I'd rather sleep on the streets.... :mad:

A380FWWOW

Post by A380FWWOW »

Well I can see even more people purchasing tents and then joining us at one of the many campsites in the area!
It really isnt that bad really, just get nice a lightweight tent, dont borrow a green canvas one from work, they can be a bit heavy! :grin:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65589468@N04/
View on this site are my views and not those of any organisation!

westhamfan84

Post by westhamfan84 »

thats shocking but sign of the times i guess. just a thought but with this past years being a no go would people due to stay friday or saturday night not turn up and not pay causing a loss of profit to local hotels?.
Planned Shows for 2022 - Midlands air festival, Cosford, Weston, Southport, Riat, Blackpool, Bournemouth

Manonthefence

Post by Manonthefence »

Thats business.

Harlequin67
UKAR Supporter

Post by Harlequin67 »

They know that many campers this year were flooded out.

How many will ask themselves can they risk another washout in a tent? A lot of people could decide to change to a hotel.

I met one chap in my hotel this year, he said after sleeping in his car last year he realised that his back couldn't take it anymore so luxury and warm water were the order of the day!!
Aviation photographer - Achievement unlocked

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

I'm surprised that the prices haven't hit £200. As for loosing money if you don't turn up, Well I worked for Premier Travel Inn, and with them if you phoned up within 24 hours of arrival time to cancel your booking they will take 75% of one night of your stay as a "Cancellation Fee", then put the room up for sale that night at the event price (the usual price and about 50% event pricing). Anyway you look at it and PTI win :mad:

mav

Post by mav »

Check out Late Rooms.com, right now even if you enter dates for the Tattoo next year you can confirm nice hotels in Swindon or Cirencester from £40 upwards for a single room or £55 upwards for a double with Breakfast! Mind you I would get in quick some hotels are showing full already! :wink:

http://www.laterooms.com/en/p1301/pv187 ... n=2&rt=2,0
Cotswold Airport, Abingdon & Throckmorton Events Team Member.

mav

Post by mav »

This 4* Guest House is showing rooms for £45.00 & £60.00 with a cancellation policy of 2 days prior to arrival and nothing to pay, cancell after that and pay for a nights board. Other good deals to be had if you book now! :wink:

http://www.laterooms.com/en/p1301/pv187 ... indon.aspx
Last edited by mav on Mon 01 Jun 2009, 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

davidm

Post by davidm »

Thats a stupid price, I can also imagine it going up nearer the show 2!!

glendale

Post by glendale »

AT the moment they are building a new 180 bedroom jurys inn in the centre of swindon next to the travelodge and it is due to open june 09 and that should force other hotels to lower there prices

flying figgis

Post by flying figgis »

We've got a caravan!!!! :lol:
Tornado GR4...IX (B) Squadron Royal Air Force

http://www.yourstressmanager.co.uk

A380FWWOW

Post by A380FWWOW »

flying figgis wrote:We've got a caravan!!!! :lol:

So have we, but for RIAT 2009 it will be the tent again and at Totterdown Farm again!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65589468@N04/
View on this site are my views and not those of any organisation!

Brummiekid

Post by Brummiekid »

A380FWWOW wrote: for RIAT 2009 it will be the tent again and at Totterdown Farm again!

Et moi
Regan - "We're the Sweeney son and we haven't had any dinner"
http://www.totterdowncamping.co.uk

jordan

Post by jordan »

I just enquired about booking a room in a guest house in Swindon today, and was very suprised to find out they actually thought it was a bit early for me to be making enquiries. Considering the amount of hotels already fully booked for that weekend, and the prices that a lot of those still with rooms are charging, I'd have thought I was late if anything.

It's probably unfair for me to make assumptions about their business plan, but it did cross my mind that they may be trying to put people off making bookings this far in advance, so that closer to the date they'll be one of the only places with rooms free, and thus able to charge a lot more.

Liveforriat

Post by Liveforriat »

Perhaps they know something we dont!
Was once Liveforriat2007 but that wasnt a great year so Ive decided to simply live for RIAT period.

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Booked a room today in a travelodge on the M4, only £29. :yahoo:

jordan

Post by jordan »

Nice price! I've managed to secure a room in a guest house in Swindon at £130 for two nights. It was the one mentioned above (The Lodge), although they're charging more than advertised on that other site.

Anyone else staying there or nearby?

daydib

Post by daydib »

jordan wrote:Nice price! I've managed to secure a room in a guest house in Swindon at £130 for two nights. It was the one mentioned above (The Lodge), although they're charging more than advertised on that other site.

I stayed there this year and payed £110 for two nights so it looks like its gone up will probably stay there again for the 2009 show.

jordan

Post by jordan »

daydib wrote:
jordan wrote:Nice price! I've managed to secure a room in a guest house in Swindon at £130 for two nights. It was the one mentioned above (The Lodge), although they're charging more than advertised on that other site.

I stayed there this year and payed £110 for two nights so it looks like its gone up will probably stay there again for the 2009 show.

Excellent. I take it then you had a pleasant experience with them? (Despite obviously the lack of an actual airshow)

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Well after asking around, and shopping around Ive managed to get a room 6 miles from the airfield and a proper hotel for one third the price I paid this year at Premier Inn :rock:

I do believe another Ukarian uses this hotel every year that usually sits behind me in the grandstand..... :tongue:

Andy

daydib

Post by daydib »

jordan wrote:
daydib wrote:

Excellent. I take it then you had a pleasant experience with them? (Despite obviously the lack of an actual airshow)

Yes very friendly people close to Swindon town centre and the train station and its also close to the bus station for the shuttle bus to the airfield.

mav

Post by mav »

Glad the link was useful then, lets pray for better weather next year and enjoy the show. :cool:

Eizo

Post by Eizo »

Is there any hotel near enough to visit airshow afoot? :) I looked on google earth, Fairford is really a small village... I have an eye on Swindon, which town would be best option and nearest to go to Fairford! I do not really want to rent a car to be honest!