RIAT 2016

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
cobmauler

Re: RIAT 2016

Post by cobmauler »

Re Ramex sonic boom. Yes, I thought they were not allowed, but apparently in practice on Thursday he did it then. If you go on to Andrew Evans twitter site there is a fantastic shot of the 'pressure wave around the nose of the cockpit taken on the 7th July. I was taking photos of Ramex when they were coming straight towards me when the cloud appeared around the aircraft and someone next to me exclaimed that he was 'going to do it again!'. He then sped over our heads followed about a second later by a small sonic thunderclap. I was listening to the tower and I caught the controller congratulating and thanking the pilot/s for all their contribution over the years and a promise of beers later. I have to admit that it was quite a special moment!
Just found out that Sundays display was the last by Ramex Delta so I presume they wanted to out with a bang! They will be sadly missed. :sad:
TRY THIS LINK! https://www.flickr.com/photos/evansavio ... otostream/

cobmauler

Post by cobmauler »

Hi jjc, I can definitely assure you that they create a boom. As the t shirt would say'I Was There'!

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Nope.
Didn't go supersonic.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

The aircraft did not go supersonic on either day, that I am certain of. The aircraft went transonic, particularly on Thursday hence the shock cones visible in my photo.

If a sonic boom had been created we would have known about it being so close.... that and many windows would have been smashed in red car park!

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

If they had gone supersonic there would've been no doubt about it whatsoever.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

AFC

Post by AFC »

Looking at my osprey pictures, I have just spotted 3 people that were in Rhymes field on Sunday :ninja:

JJC

Post by JJC »

cobmauler wrote:Hi jjc, I can definitely assure you that they create a boom. As the t shirt would say'I Was There'!

I've got the same t-shirt; I can assure you they didn't - hence why the good people of Whelford village, and indeed car-owners on the airfield, still have their windows intact.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

AFC wrote:Looking at my osprey pictures, I have just spotted 3 people that were in Rhymes field on Sunday :ninja:

Only 3 !!
There were several hundred at least along the Northern fenceline between the Eastern end of the runway and the hangars on both days........most were blatantly standing out in the open but some ( guilty consciences ) were hiding under various bushes & ducked down whenever a vehicle went past.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

boff180 wrote:If a sonic boom had been created we would have known about it being so close.... that and many windows would have been smashed in red car park!

I thought the window breaking potential of supersonic jets had been largely disproved via the Mythbusters episode:

"Jamie set up a test area filled with various glass items and products while Adam performed a flyby in an F/A-18 going supersonic. However, at flybys of 8,000, 2,000, and 500 feet (2,400, 610, and 150 m), the jet failed to break any of the glass. They then performed a series of low altitude flybys at 200 feet (61 m), but only managed to break a single window. Since the majority of the glass was still intact, the MythBusters declared the myth busted."

Would be interested to hear some thoughts on this...

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

speedbird2639 wrote:
boff180 wrote:If a sonic boom had been created we would have known about it being so close.... that and many windows would have been smashed in red car park!

I thought the window breaking potential of supersonic jets had been largely disproved via the Mythbusters episode:

"Jamie set up a test area filled with various glass items and products while Adam performed a flyby in an F/A-18 going supersonic. However, at flybys of 8,000, 2,000, and 500 feet (2,400, 610, and 150 m), the jet failed to break any of the glass. They then performed a series of low altitude flybys at 200 feet (61 m), but only managed to break a single window. Since the majority of the glass was still intact, the MythBusters declared the myth busted."

Would be interested to hear some thoughts on this...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eoTqLnL0WI[/youtube]
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Ok! Fairly conclusive!

simon

Plenty of grunt.

Post by simon »

2E0TVR

Post by 2E0TVR »

AFC wrote:Looking at my osprey pictures, I have just spotted 3 people that were in Rhymes field on Sunday :ninja:

I drove back that way after leaving the west park and view today. The Rhymes "Open for business as usual" sign was up at the end of the lane. Did they open after all?

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

I personally thought the Dutch Apache was an incredible display.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Airshowhammer wrote:I personally thought the Dutch Apache was an incredible display.

With the drab olive aircraft now being used as the display aircraft, and with a ban of flares at RIAT, it just feels like we're only getting half of the display. Very much like the AAC Lynx but less punchy
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Pringles wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:I personally thought the Dutch Apache was an incredible display.

With the drab olive aircraft now being used as the display aircraft, and with a ban of flares at RIAT, it just feels like we're only getting half of the display. Very much like the AAC Lynx but less punchy

I know. But them rolls it does when it loses altitude were impressive!

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Did any of the departing aircraft go through the Mach Loop today? Usually there's a few either side of the weekend, but not much happening Wed - Thur.

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

2E0TVR wrote:

I drove back that way after leaving the west park and view today. The Rhymes "Open for business as usual" sign was up at the end of the lane. Did they open after all?

Rhymes was definately closed-they were paid quite substantial compensation to stay that way.

jason82wells

Post by jason82wells »

Wissam24 wrote:If they had gone supersonic there would've been no doubt about it whatsoever.

Exactly right.

2E0TVR

Post by 2E0TVR »

TYPHOON3 wrote:
2E0TVR wrote:

Rhymes was definately closed-they were paid quite substantial compensation to stay that way.

OK. Cheers for the reply.

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

Ramex did not go supersonic.

It was my first year working at RIAT as opposed to spectating. Those believing that the flying display should be flexible enough to react to weather changes and 'star item'....well, I can understand why, but it's sadly nowhere near as easy to achieve as most think.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

If the Ramex Delta broke the sound barrier, then so did the various F16's, The Typhoons, F35, F22 and etc.
No way did it.

PanaviaTornado

Post by PanaviaTornado »

Ramex had just compression waves, they cannot go through Mach one with the large (forget the capacity) tanks, especially so at sea level. The commentator even mentioned they tried to go as fast as they could knowing they wouldn't go through. From different field views I could see on that pass they put the reheats on a huge distance away (way more than any other fast, fast jet pass) to make sure they hit the buffer along a good chunk of the airfield. Not hearing 2 or 4 gigantic, massive bangs also suggests the did not go through it!!!!

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

Flare Path wrote:Did any of the departing aircraft go through the Mach Loop today? Usually there's a few either side of the weekend, but not much happening Wed - Thur.

Nope!
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

rokut

Post by rokut »

PanaviaTornado wrote:Ramex had just compression waves, they cannot go through Mach one with the large (forget the capacity) tanks, especially so at sea level. The commentator even mentioned they tried to go as fast as they could knowing they wouldn't go through. From different field views I could see on that pass they put the reheats on a huge distance away (way more than any other fast, fast jet pass) to make sure they hit the buffer along a good chunk of the airfield. Not hearing 2 or 4 gigantic, massive bangs also suggests the did not go through it!!!!

:up: