FRIAT Forum - Summary of Event Now Posted

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Bluemike52

Re: FRIAT Forum - Summary of Event Now Posted

Post by Bluemike52 »

Thanks for the update and the good work you put into it.

effects

Re: FRIAT Forum

Post by effects »

PeterR wrote:
effects wrote:Yeah, of course you did not!!

You are aware there's a big difference between a 'Validation' and 'Practice Display' or 'Rehearsal' aren't you? :wall:

Well aware thank you,like the difference between being in the RAF and the ATC.
maybe the commentator needs a slap because he constantly referred to any display acts up before 1300 as 'validation'.
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

Dr Cake

Post by Dr Cake »

boff180 wrote:
RIAT 2016 Changes - General

• Site 15 will no longer be the early bird car park for P&V East, Site 15 will now be the Cadet camp site which has been moved from the North side of the runway for safety reasons.
  • P&V East Car Park will now open at 6am to compensate however PLEASE NOTE this is the car park only, P&V itself will not open at 6am and people will be made to queue inside the airfield.
  • South side will again be used for live aircraft parking both at East and West ends.
  • Saturday tickets will SELL OUT within the next 3 weeks - you have been warned
  • Ticket sales are up 38% on this time last year.
  • Access from Green Car Park has been improved for 2016, they acknowledged this was wrong last year and apologised
  • Friday will have a capacity of 15,000 visitors in 2016
  • Friday will be used as a Futures day for School Children with around 3000 visiting, multiple visiting nations will be taking part in this providing the children with content.
  • Pit day is returning.

Thanks for putting this summary together. It's much appreciated and it sounds like a lot was covered.

Was any more detail given to the early bird car parking arrangements for P&V East than summarised? I am assuming that pre 6am people will form a queue down Washpool Lane. I'm sure they've thought of this but there are traditionally many of us there pre 6am. Just thought I'd mention it!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

All that was said was that all queuing for entry into P&V East will be from within the car park.

By that I can only assume that anyone that arrives before 6am will be faced with one of three choices.
a) Drive around or wait in their car parked safely for the gates to open at 6am.
b) The queue gets quite big and the car park opens earlier.
c) If you are walking, you will be made to enter and queue with everyone else at 6am.

As Site 15 is being used as a camp site I really don't think they'll want people queuing outside this year.

Dr Cake

Post by Dr Cake »

boff180 wrote:All that was said was that all queuing for entry into P&V East will be from within the car park.

By that I can only assume that anyone that arrives before 6am will be faced with one of three choices.
a) Drive around or wait in their car parked safely for the gates to open at 6am.
b) The queue gets quite big and the car park opens earlier.
c) If you are walking, you will be made to enter and queue with everyone else at 6am.

As Site 15 is being used as a camp site I really don't think they'll want people queuing outside this year.

Thanks for that.

It should be fairly straightforward to queue down Washpool Lane as has been done in the past waiting for the Site 15 car park to open. It will be interesting to see if it is marshalled. If not, just need to hope it doesn't descend into chaos. There will be plenty of people there.

RIAT Air Ops

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

effects wrote:
RIAT Air Ops wrote:
ianf wrote:yet they validated several displays Friday morning with the public on.

Okay, lets kill that one straight away. We did not carry out any validations on Friday morning - fact.

Looking forward to seeing those at the forum tomorrow.

Cheers, Tom

Yeah, of course you did not!!

So what are you saying? Are you implying that I'm lying?

RIAT Air Ops

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

Rampvan wrote:
PeterR wrote:
effects wrote:Yeah, of course you did not!!

You are aware there's a big difference between a 'Validation' and 'Practice Display' or 'Rehearsal' aren't you? :wall:

I too saw some "validations" on the Friday....I know they were "validations" because the commentator said they were "Validations" on more than one occasion during the morning of validations that was the Friday ! :biggrin:

Irrespective of what you heard on the PA there no validation flights held on Friday, full stop. There was some practice/rehearsal flying but NOT validations.

effects

Post by effects »

RIAT Air Ops wrote:
effects wrote:
RIAT Air Ops wrote:
ianf wrote:yet they validated several displays Friday morning with the public on.

Okay, lets kill that one straight away. We did not carry out any validations on Friday morning - fact.

Looking forward to seeing those at the forum tomorrow.

Cheers, Tom

Yeah, of course you did not!!

So what are you saying? Are you implying that I'm lying?

What are the MAA regs on 'practice' in front of a crowd?

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Let's end this right here - you clearly refuse to believe what you are told, flogging a dead horse comes to mind.

The MAA closely observe RIAT and its operations throughout the show week and in the run-up, and such contraventions as you suggest simply would not be allowed to happen. I think, with the choice between comment from a random user name or comment from RIAT Air Ops, I know who I believe... :whistle:

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

I'd suggest reading RA2335 yourself https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ssue_5.pdf which will allow you to become a fully fledged armchair expert.....

As far as I can see the only restriction on the public being present is on validations, not practice. And as with Joe, I'll believe Tom over you on this any day of the week.

effects

Post by effects »

WG655 wrote:Let's end this right here - you clearly refuse to believe what you are told, flogging a dead horse comes to mind.

The MAA closely observe RIAT and its operations throughout the show week and in the run-up, and such contraventions as you suggest simply would not be allowed to happen. I think, with the choice between comment from a random user name or comment from RIAT Air Ops, I know who I believe... :whistle:

Okay calm down, just curious that is all. When you hear the commentator say things you tend to take them as gen after all he is got to be close to 'RIAT Air Ops' , as for random user names 'WG655' :roll:

effects

Post by effects »

boff180 wrote:I'd suggest reading RA2335 yourself https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ssue_5.pdf which will allow you to become a fully fledged armchair expert.....

As far as I can see the only restriction on the public being present is on validations, not practice. And as with Joe, I'll believe Tom over you on this any day of the week.

as for 'armchair expert' I was involved in air events before the MAA wrote that RA.

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

effects wrote:
WG655 wrote:Let's end this right here - you clearly refuse to believe what you are told, flogging a dead horse comes to mind.

Okay calm down, just curious that is all. When you hear the commentator say things you tend to take them as gen after all he is got to be close to 'RIAT Air Ops' , as for random user names 'WG655' :roll:

I'm not the one disseminating false and potentially libellous comment... :cuppa:

effects

Post by effects »

WG655 wrote:
effects wrote:

I'm not the one disseminating false and potentially libellous comment... :cuppa:

Why did you not just say that at the start :surrender:

sismore

Post by sismore »

A lot of good changes to make RIAT even better, although P&V will be something they need to keep a close eye on, Had a very bad experience at Waddington P&V when they could not get the gates open any earlier than published and the queue of cars got so big the police tried to move every single car on!

anyone remember that? :lol: