FRIAT Grandstand Seating Plan 2016

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
davidjones533

Re: FRIAT Grandstand Seating Plan 2016

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Sat 11 Aug 2018, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ipso

Post by ipso »

davidjones533 wrote:There also seems to be a complete lack of etiquette this year. Lots of people trying to get to/from seats while the displays are on. One woman actually tried it while the Raptor was rolling...

For me this was a problem this year. In previous years I have been happy to stand on the ground on the left of the grandstand, partly due to having a 500mm lens but also I prefer the space. This year there was no space. People would rush to fill any and all spare space as soon as the F35/F22 started. I am 5'6 tall on Sunday just before the F35 one gentlemen who must have been 6'5 stood 2 foot away from me.

For me this year FRIAT turn from a pleasant enclosure to an expensive part of the general crowd line. Never in my past four riats have I been so frustrated and disappointed. Also the weather sucked.

Phill. :dunno:

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

ipso wrote:
davidjones533 wrote:There also seems to be a complete lack of etiquette this year. Lots of people trying to get to/from seats while the displays are on. One woman actually tried it while the Raptor was rolling...

For me this was a problem this year. In previous years I have been happy to stand on the ground on the left of the grandstand, partly due to having a 500mm lens but also I prefer the space. This year there was no space. People would rush to fill any and all spare space as soon as the F35/F22 started. I am 5'6 tall on Sunday just before the F35 one gentlemen who must have been 6'5 stood 2 foot away from me.

For me this year FRIAT turn from a pleasant enclosure to an expensive part of the general crowd line. Never in my past four riats have I been so frustrated and disappointed. Also the weather sucked.

Phill. :dunno:

How tall are you the rest of the week ? :grin:
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

ipso

Post by ipso »

aceyone wrote:How tall are you the rest of the week ? :grin:

Pretty much the same. :clap:

JohnF

Post by JohnF »

I'm always standing on the grass to the left of the enclosure for the same reason - extra space when using a 500mm lens.

I only use my seat for departures but noticed that the space between the seats wasn't as good as previous years. There was also no room on Row A to put your bag behind the seat as has been the case previously.

I was at the front of the walkway near the disabled enclosure. It was busier than normal due to there being less space but I never had any problems taking photos. Wasn't interested in runway shots and all aircraft were high enough to shoot over others.

More ground space would be ideal but I can't say I found the experience unpleasant. I have renewed again.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

When I got to it my seat wasn't there - it jumped from f42 to f47. mind you I ended up on E - a promotion to a mach 3 area.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

sismore

Post by sismore »

First year of being a FRIAT Mach 3 member for 3 of us and although not having to rush to get a decent crowd line space or walking miles to the nearest toilet made the RIAT experience better we were disappointed with the amount of space in the grandstand, everyone pays a lot of money for FRIAT packages and you get packed in like sardines.

I think that they could have a few options to consider, make the grandstand bigger, reduce seat numbers or offer slightly cheaper crowed line packages?

We will be going for Mach 3 again next year because although the seating space is poor we think it is still a great package :cool:

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

The space in the grandstand is simply not fit for purpose if you have a large camera bag with you and want to pan to take pictures with a large lens,I was fortunate that the days I used the stand the occupants either side weren't so I wasn't hemmed in,having said that I was having to be mindful of the person directly in front of me as to not constantly hit the back of the their head!
The stand is designed for people to simply "watch"the show,but there isn't enough space for the serious photographer.
Having said that I guess if you got there early enough you could always claim you're spot on the grass at the front,but in a way it kinda defeats the whole purpose of buying a seat in the grandstand then,doesn't it?

sismore

Post by sismore »

AARDVARK wrote:The space in the grandstand is simply not fit for purpose if you have a large camera bag with you and want to pan to take pictures with a large lens,I was fortunate that the days I used the stand the occupants either side weren't so I wasn't hemmed in,having said that I was having to be mindful of the person directly in front of me as to not constantly hit the back of the their head!
The stand is designed for people to simply "watch"the show,but there isn't enough space for the serious photographer.
Having said that I guess if you got there early enough you could always claim you're spot on the grass at the front,but in a way it kinda defeats the whole purpose of buying a seat in the grandstand then,doesn't it?

I agree with you, hopefully 2017's grandstand will be better, but when i phoned up last week, she said that demand for FRIAT next year was up massively compared to last year, they have already got nearly 800 applications. So i guess it will be the same :dunno:

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Over the course of the show weekend I spoke with a number of the DBH team over the issue with the grandstand, including Wendy. They lknow there was a big issue with the grandstand this year. One that they know needs to be rectified for 2017.
Here's hoping

sismore

Post by sismore »

boff180 wrote:Over the course of the show weekend I spoke with a number of the DBH team over the issue with the grandstand, including Wendy. They lknow there was a big issue with the grandstand this year. One that they know needs to be rectified for 2017.
Here's hoping

Fingers crossed then :up: