Totterdown Park and view field queries

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
PanaviaTornado

Totterdown Park and view field queries

Post by PanaviaTornado »

Hi guys,

Getting excited now :yahoo: things are getting close, but I have one or two questions hopefully people those who have stayed there can help me :smile:

After doing mach 3 for straight 7 years, then doing a mix of that and Rhymes the past two I've always wondered what Totterdown is like (looking on from the grandstand) and specifically what the park and view field is like and what view you have. This year, given rhymes has closed I want to give it a go for one of the show days.

If you look at the google map link:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Tot ... -1.7836406

Which field is the day visitors park and view car park? And which ones are reserved for the campers? Trying to way up whether to bother to try and get in on the Sunday. Is the view of the airfield for the campers better than the view of just the park and view field? The flying view of course the same.

Also are the prices £15 per person, or per car? I haven't been able to get onto Totterdowns campsite website for about a week no for whatever reason :dunno:

What time would be best to get there for the show days? At rhymes I usually got there at 4 in the morning on show day to beat most of the queue and grab a decent spot.

I appreciate they are fairly precise questions but hopefully one or two of you could help and shed some light on them.

Thank you and best regards,

Jo. :wave:

TYPHOON3

Re: Totterdown Park and view field queries

Post by TYPHOON3 »

The website has been taken down by the looks of it.Simon is probably fed up with enquiries by now and the campsite sold out ages ago.The campers have the best view in the old Park and View field as they are on the hill with nothing in front of them.The park and view field (in the next field) does have trees in front of it but still a decent view.It's £7.50 per person but a minimum of £15 per car if you happen to be on your own.Get there as early as you can as it will fill up very quickly this year.

PanaviaTornado

Post by PanaviaTornado »

TYPHOON3 wrote:The website has been taken down by the looks of it.Simon is probably fed up with enquiries by now and the campsite sold out ages ago.The campers have the best view in the old Park and View field as they are on the hill with nothing in front of them.The park and view field (in the next field) does have trees in front of it but still a decent view.It's £7.50 per person but a minimum of £15 per car if you happen to be on your own.Get there as early as you can as it will fill up very quickly this year.

Thank you for the help Typhoon3. :up:

Understandable that he has removed the site, his phone must never stop ringing!

So I assume the P&V field is closer to the base itself, poorer for seeing whats going on at the base, however I guess nothing much in it for the displays.

If I want to be one of the first cars in what time do you reckon would be best to arrive? Previously at Rhymes I got there circa 3-4am and there was still a queue of 20 cars infront of me. Are cars tolerated outside the entrance at those early morning times? Or will someone move me on until nearer the open gate time?

Thanks again for all the help, much appreciated. I have some fiends flying in from the other side of the world for this airshow so want to eradicate any possibility of cock up! :smile:

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

The Park and view opens at 6.00am.I suppose you could get there earlier and wait but I have always camped so don't know exactly how early Simon starts letting people on.I am usually still fast asleep in my tent at that time.As long as you are not queing along the main road you shouldn't get moved on but not sure what the Police prescence will be like this year.Website is back up and running by the way.

sithrity

Post by sithrity »

PanaviaTornado wrote:
TYPHOON3 wrote:The website has been taken down by the looks of it.Simon is probably fed up with enquiries by now and the campsite sold out ages ago.The campers have the best view in the old Park and View field as they are on the hill with nothing in front of them.The park and view field (in the next field) does have trees in front of it but still a decent view.It's £7.50 per person but a minimum of £15 per car if you happen to be on your own.Get there as early as you can as it will fill up very quickly this year.

Thank you for the help Typhoon3. :up:

Understandable that he has removed the site, his phone must never stop ringing!

So I assume the P&V field is closer to the base itself, poorer for seeing whats going on at the base, however I guess nothing much in it for the displays.

If I want to be one of the first cars in what time do you reckon would be best to arrive? Previously at Rhymes I got there circa 3-4am and there was still a queue of 20 cars infront of me. Are cars tolerated outside the entrance at those early morning times? Or will someone move me on until nearer the open gate time?

Thanks again for all the help, much appreciated. I have some fiends flying in from the other side of the world for this airshow so want to eradicate any possibility of cock up! :smile:

Hi there, I'm not as experienced with Totterdown as Typhoon but this will be my 4th year in a row this year.

I camp in the very top field but have walked around the whole camp. Its seems the view of the airfield isn't great, due to the large hangars. Totterdown is only good for airborne viewing. Would you agree Typhoon?

As for getting there early, you have to drive down a half mile (almost private) road before you get to the site. Its not the busiest road to block.

Here's a example of the airfield from the top field.

ImageRIAT 2014 943 by Simon Storey, on Flickr

ImageRIAT 2014 778 by Simon Storey, on Flickr
I don't know everything there is to know about our hobby.

Kids, aviation, missus then responsibilities, (in that order)

PanaviaTornado

Post by PanaviaTornado »

Thank you Typhoon and sithrity.

If you have great airborne viewing that is fine with me! :smile: great pics.

Is the half mile track wide enough for two cars to pass each other? So if i pull up early people can still get past me ok.

Which is better for viewing display aircraft, Rhymes or Totterdown? I guess at Rhymes you only really got the LHS of the display up close but you certainly felt apart of the whole airshow from there. IF Totterdown has better display centre position maybe this will make up for the view of the airfield.

Top stuff anyways guys, much appreciated :clap:

Downes0106

Post by Downes0106 »

The road has a few passing spots so isnt too bad. As for timing, I've got there at between 6.30 and 7.00 most years and driven straight in. I'm sure it will be busier this year though.
Scott

Canon EOS7D, with 30D Back-up
Canon 100-400MM IS, 70-200MM plus some wide-angle/macro stuff

kph100

Post by kph100 »

Whats the field like due to the rain we have been having, does it drain well. Is it likely to still be open on the day if field wet ??

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

kph100 wrote:Whats the field like due to the rain we have been having, does it drain well. Is it likely to still be open on the day if field wet ??

There has been at least one occasion(maybe more) when the park and view hasn't opened due to a waterlogged field and only campers had access.Can't remember the year but ended up at Rhymes instead.I don't think it will happen though as the weather forecast looks a bit drier next week.

trebleone
UKAR Supporter

Post by trebleone »

kph100 wrote:Whats the field like due to the rain we have been having, does it drain well. Is it likely to still be open on the day if field wet ??

Totterdown P&V was closed in 2012 due to the waterlogged ground and deep mud. Apparently, according to the site owner, the ground is again very soft, due to the recent prolonged spell of wet weather - so much so that he's recommended caravan and motor-home owners to bring load-spreaders for their stabiliser legs.

I would be prepared for the possibility that if the ground starts to get churned up by arriving campers, then the P&V could well be closed for show days.

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

trebleone wrote:

Totterdown P&V was closed in 2012 due to the waterlogged ground and deep mud. Apparently, according to the site owner, the ground is again very soft, due to the recent prolonged spell of wet weather - so much so that he's recommended caravan and motor-home owners to bring load-spreaders for their stabiliser legs.

I would be prepared for the possibility that if the ground starts to get churned up by arriving campers, then the P&V could well be closed for show days.

So there has been more than one occasion.It was much earlier than 2012 the time I remember,possibly 2005 or 2007?

mafro987daboss

Post by mafro987daboss »

Are pedestrians/bikers allowed into the P+V with the same price scheme?

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

mafro987daboss wrote:Are pedestrians/bikers allowed into the P+V with the same price scheme?

I think Simon charges £5 per person for pedestrians and cyclists.If you mean motorcyclists I am not sure about them.

Redstripe666

Post by Redstripe666 »

Hi all , I'm Camping at Townsend Farm , that's if I can get in as not heard any thing as to Confirmation of My Booking ?? despite repeated e mails ??
So can anyone Confirm that Rhymes is still open to the Public ??, I heard that it had been closed for Safety reasons ??
thinking of Rhymes on the Sunday if its Open ??
Redstripe..

kianelle

Post by kianelle »

Redstripe666 wrote:Hi all , I'm Camping at Townsend Farm , that's if I can get in as not heard any thing as to Confirmation of My Booking ?? despite repeated e mails ??
So can anyone Confirm that Rhymes is still open to the Public ??, I heard that it had been closed for Safety reasons ??
thinking of Rhymes on the Sunday if its Open ??
Redstripe..

No Rhymes is closed all days and all roads down to rhymes are closed to traffic

Redstripe666

Post by Redstripe666 »

Thanks , So is the Field By the Taxi way Open to Campers there do you know ??

PanaviaTornado

Post by PanaviaTornado »

no Rhymes is completely closed. Doing Totterndown today for a change and unfortunately its not a patch on Rhymes, RIP Rhymes :sad:

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

It sounds like Simon is going to take £30 non refundable deposit(per pitch) from everyone including regulars for 2017 bookings.Apparently he had more cancellations from his regulars than newcomers this year.Info posted by Simon on Totterdown Facebook page.

tmattias

Post by tmattias »

How early did you have to get there this year to get in? I'm thinking you have be be even earlier this year?

Also is it possible to sit outside with your car before they open the gates?
Last edited by Jakub.Zurek on Tue 26 Dec 2017, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Rule 2 - S&G

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

tmattias wrote:Also is it possible to sue outside with your care before they open the gates?