RIAT 2017 (Discussion & Participation Thread)

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Brevet Cable

Re: RIAT 2017 (Discussion & Participation Thread)

Post by Brevet Cable »

Indeed they were.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

jason82wells

Post by jason82wells »

Brevet Cable wrote:Indeed they were.

Cheers. Was only a punt at lunchtime but maybe this *will* end up being the US area comprising flying acts

speedbird2639 wrote:Posted this link before but for those that didn't see it http://afthunderbirds.com/site/wp-conte ... Manual.pdf

They do like to have everything laid on for them!

Interesting to say the least

"Please ensure that the Thunderbirds have access to a facility with a complete weight training area as well as a cardio training area"

Are they for real?!

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

What exactly is the 'Pit area'? And is it access for everyone who attends, or paid extra?

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

speedbird2639 wrote:Posted this link before but for those that didn't see it http://afthunderbirds.com/site/wp-conte ... Manual.pdf

They do like to have everything laid on for them!

Ah bless, aren't they delicate little flowers.

Might have to give this year a miss if it's going to be a yank love-in.
The commentary during the F22 and F35 segments last year were awful.

jason82wells

Post by jason82wells »

jasonT1981 wrote:What exactly is the 'Pit area'? And is it access for everyone who attends, or paid extra?

Last few years most of the display teams have been on the east side. You can walk in front/behind many of them & get different shots.

Crews come out & talk to the public then they close the area (but you can watch from the outside) as they're preparing for their displays

Friday only & no extra price

Jetnoise

Post by Jetnoise »

Just heard that MACH 3 has sold out.

Cheers,
Ralph
www.ralphluntphotography.com
www.jetnoise.co.uk
There's only one way to skin a cat - with a very sharp knife.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

jason82wells wrote:
jasonT1981 wrote:What exactly is the 'Pit area'? And is it access for everyone who attends, or paid extra?

Last few years most of the display teams have been on the east side. You can walk in front/behind many of them & get different shots.

Crews come out & talk to the public then they close the area (but you can watch from the outside) as they're preparing for their displays

Thanks, that's a shame, I am only visiting Sat & Sun :(

jason82wells

Post by jason82wells »

jasonT1981 wrote:
jason82wells wrote:

Thanks, that's a shame, I am only visiting Sat & Sun :(

I wouldn't worry too much by that, from what we can make out there'll be no pit area this year anyway :-(

splishsplosh

Post by splishsplosh »

Nothing more boring than yet another American made machine. RIAT is at death's door.

RIAT should be going all out to get some Soviet/Russian designed aircraft in. Su-27's, Su-35's, MiG-29's, Su-22's, MiG-21's, Tu-160's, Tu-95's. Maybe the Antonov 225 as well just to put the icing on the cake. No doubt it'll just be an F-15 mixed with an A400M with the odd chopper. :wat:

If I want a poor flying and static display I'll go to Yeovilton and Cosford.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

splishsplosh wrote:Nothing more boring than yet another American made machine. RIAT is at death's door.

RIAT should be going all out to get some Soviet/Russian designed aircraft in. Su-27's, Su-35's, MiG-29's, Su-22's, MiG-21's, Tu-160's, Tu-95's. Maybe the Antonov 225 as well just to put the icing on the cake. No doubt it'll just be an F-15 mixed with an A400M with the odd chopper. :wat:

If I want a poor flying and static display I'll go to Yeovilton and Cosford.

You're not serious?
I've read other comments on here slating the US about their commentary. I for one think its great. Gets the adrenaline going.
Can't help but think this post is slightly tongue in cheek.
One problem i have though is if you were to go to MAKS or AirPower you would not see Caterhams or bikes screaming round the place!

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Airshowhammer wrote:I've read other comments on here slating the US about their commentary. I for one think its great. Gets the adrenaline going.

I find the commentary by the Americans hysterical ( in both meanings ), not to mention mawkish.
아직도 숨어있다

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Jetnoise wrote:Just heard that MACH 3 has sold out.

Not according to the RIAT website....they're still selling them.
아직도 숨어있다

DrBenR

Post by DrBenR »

Just purchased mine this lunchtime - Wendy was allocating out the grandstand seats in the background whilst I was ordering :sweat:

Any remaining Mach 3 tickets will be in the bottom 5 rows I believe. Not sure if a X row front seat will be available as the lady I spoke to said things were tight!

Oh well, here's to 12 years as a Mach 3er!
:smile:

Ben R

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Brevet Cable wrote:
Jetnoise wrote:Just heard that MACH 3 has sold out.

Not according to the RIAT website....they're still selling them.

This morning clicking the "buy tickets now" button next to FRIAT Mach 3 took you to the next page which said sold out.

EDIT:- just tried it still does

RiatMarketing

Post by RiatMarketing »

Hi, yes, officially we have sold out of the traditional MACH 3 packages (as in the top rows of the Grandstand) but people are still wanting to buy a 6 day package and aren’t concerned about where in the Grandstand they sit, so we are taking these bookings over the phone at the moment. Wendy has allocated the Grandstand seats but is now trying to cross reference with those people who usually book MACH 3, but haven’t yet, to get in contact with them and try and accommodate them if they still want to book.
Air Tattoo Marketing Team

Xray833

Post by Xray833 »

RiatMarketing wrote:Hi, yes, officially we have sold out of the traditional MACH 3 packages (as in the top rows of the Grandstand) but people are still wanting to buy a 6 day package and aren’t concerned about where in the Grandstand they sit, so we are taking these bookings over the phone at the moment. [b][color=#000000]Wendy has allocated the Grandstand seats but is now trying to cross reference with those people who usually book MACH 3, but haven’t yet, to get in contact with them and try and accommodate them if they still want to book.

I`ve not booked a FRIAT package so far but that sounds like excellent customer service to me. Might think about it for next year.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Have to say I'm extremely surprised FRIAT has virtually sold out so early with just one act announced.

Whilst we may be critical of the new grandstand, we are never critical of the customer service Wendy and her team provide to members. It's one of the things which sets the package above the rest.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

RiatMarketing wrote:Hi, yes, officially we have sold out of the traditional MACH 3 packages (as in the top rows of the Grandstand) but people are still wanting to buy a 6 day package and aren’t concerned about where in the Grandstand they sit, so we are taking these bookings over the phone at the moment. Wendy has allocated the Grandstand seats but is now trying to cross reference with those people who usually book MACH 3, but haven’t yet, to get in contact with them and try and accommodate them if they still want to book.

Can I say thank you to the lady I spoke to today (I've forgotten her name already) extremely helpful and great customer service
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

@boff - I wascdure I had read somewhere that DBH had taken on board the criticism re yhe grandstand andvthry gad confirmed they would be seeking to use yhe same/ similar grandstand to that used and liked in previous years?

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

speedbird2639 wrote:@boff - I wascdure I had read somewhere that DBH had taken on board the criticism re yhe grandstand andvthry gad confirmed they would be seeking to use yhe same/ similar grandstand to that used and liked in previous years?

Yes you are correct. They acknowledged the issue with the grandstand whilst the show was still in progress when queried by me (for comment in the review) and others. They then announced the change back to the original supplier in a press release not long after the show.

SWATCO

Post by SWATCO »

boff180 wrote:Have to say I'm extremely surprised FRIAT has virtually sold out so early with just one act announced.

Whilst we may be critical of the new grandstand, we are never critical of the customer service Wendy and her team provide to members. It's one of the things which sets the package above the rest.

I'd agree with that, Wendy helped considerably last week when myself and a friend ordered ours and forgot to add some bits to it. Brilliant customer service!

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

Any ideas as to when we are likely to get the first update.

CJS

Post by CJS »

When DBH release it? :-P

Normally in February I think.
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

USAF solo displays are due to release their schedules soon (possibly this week?) as they said on the 12th they hope to release them within 2 weeks if not sooner.

Air Combat Command Aerial Events
12 January at 20:14 ·
Good afternoon Airshow fans
Just to keep up to date, we are working on the schedules for 2017,
We hope to release them in couple of weeks.
Also, we might have a few surprises for you in 2017 keep checking back for updates.

F22 Raptor have also said very soon.

ACC F-22 Raptor Demo Team
17 January at 20:13 ·
#RaptorNation do not get to comfortable, your #F-22Raptor will be in a city near you. The 2017 Demo Season schedule will be released sooner than you know! #Raptor #RaptorDemo #ACC #JBLE #FirstFighterWing @usaf_acc @jblegram @aviationweek @airmanmagazine @flyfastandlow @usaf_pics @airspacemag (U.S. Air Force photo by 1st Lt. Mahalia Frost)

skidd40

Post by skidd40 »

There is update posted on the official facebook page saying , "we are 50% up on sales at the same point last year " Surely TheThunder birds cant be that much of a draw or does it mean less tickets as even more of the punters grass areas are being moved over to corporate chalets