RIAT 2017 (Discussion & Participation Thread)

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
CJS

Re: RIAT 2017 (Discussion & Participation Thread)

Post by CJS »

So if he fell off his boat (callsign Boaty One) and got picked up by the local coastguard, does that helicopter become USCG One while he's still dangling from the rope (wishful thinkin...) or not til he's actually on board? :-P
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

trebleone
UKAR Supporter

Post by trebleone »

nah ...... while he's still dangling on the rope, the callsign would have to be WINCH ONE, surely?

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

cg_341 wrote:It's literally the Cadillac limo, it's the official callsign of the vehicle when he's in it (rather than The Beast, etc.!)

Wow....
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

JANNER77

Post by JANNER77 »

Dear Editor I was shocked to see that my innocuous article on’’ Fairford's Spectator Goose’’ and purposely placed in a non-thread category has been locked.
I did honestly think that this inoffensive and amusing article maybe something that the other contributors may also like to read and view abut A family off to Fairord Air Show ( for the past 6 years) with their pet goose.
Anyhow I thanks to the response of two active members of UKAR I certainly got that assumption wrong
O'Hagan , Wissam who in their opinions if the content doesn't measure up to their expectations,(by those of us who also attend RIAT Fairford Air show) they then can go on to feel free to abuse it. They now can also now feel content that they were the exponents of getting it locked. So as to go on and prey on someone else who again don’t measure up to what they think should be their format should be.
What kind of message is that sending?
They will most probably go on to either censor or lock out this opinion now.
Ps talking about Infantillasation (O’Hagan’s words), about my light hearted article.
Quote: By Dan O'Hagan on Wed 16 Aug 2017, 3:22 pm
Question is, what's contaminated the engines? Carrots, spluff or jelly?

sithrity

Post by sithrity »

JANNER77 wrote:Dear Editor I was shocked to see that my innocuous article on’’ Fairford's Spectator Goose’’ and purposely placed in a non-thread category has been locked.
I did honestly think that this inoffensive and amusing article maybe something that the other contributors may also like to read and view abut A family off to Fairord Air Show ( for the past 6 years) with their pet goose.
Anyhow I thanks to the response of two active members of UKAR I certainly got that assumption wrong
O'Hagan , Wissam who in their opinions if the content doesn't measure up to their expectations,(by those of us who also attend RIAT Fairford Air show) they then can go on to feel free to abuse it. They now can also now feel content that they were the exponents of getting it locked. So as to go on and prey on someone else who again don’t measure up to what they think should be their format should be.
What kind of message is that sending?
They will most probably go on to either censor or lock out this opinion now.
Ps talking about Infantillasation (O’Hagan’s words), about my light hearted article.
Quote: By Dan O'Hagan on Wed 16 Aug 2017, 3:22 pm
Question is, what's contaminated the engines? Carrots, spluff or jelly?

Don't lose sleep over it JANNER77, It's the attitude and delusions of grandeur, of a small number of staff and members (ex staff for some reason?)
That may assist in the demise of UKAR. Until the RIAT thread kicks off again.
I don't know everything there is to know about our hobby.

Kids, aviation, missus then responsibilities, (in that order)

CJS

Post by CJS »

Dan's comment was sarcasm based on previous discussions on another thread, and Sam decided to lock the thread as he is perfectly within his rights as a moderator to do. I would suggest PMing him if you have any questions so as not to clog up this thread.

For what it's worth (ie nothing) I tend to agree with you in the main though - it wasn't doing anyone any harm and can freely be ignored by anyone who would rather not take part in the discussion.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

JANNER77 wrote:I did honestly think that this inoffensive and amusing article maybe something that the other contributors may also like to read and view abut A family off to Fairord Air Show ( for the past 6 years) with their pet goose.
Inoffensive and amusing? Don't think so, dangerous and rule breaking? definately sure. From http://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/visiting/visitorinformation
RIAT wrote:You are not allowed to bring animals onto the airfield.
That rule is there for a reason. And it is even more with a reason if the animal is a bird.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

aviodromefriend wrote:
JANNER77 wrote:I did honestly think that this inoffensive and amusing article maybe something that the other contributors may also like to read and view abut A family off to Fairord Air Show ( for the past 6 years) with their pet goose.
Inoffensive and amusing? Don't think so, dangerous and rule breaking? definately sure. From http://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/visiting/visitorinformation
That rule is there for a reason. And it is even more with a reason if the animal is a bird.

I don't think the goose is going to be doing much flying :grin: Don't think it even got on the airfield if I remember reading it correctly, but then again do I really care :facepalm:

All I remember is they missed the opportunity of the goose enjoying the Red Arrows performing the goose, in the typical lazy journalism you find today. :tongue:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

This Goose stays at Totterdown every year with it's owners so is just a freeloader,so not really relevant to RIAT.I have never seen it fly all the times that I have camped there.

captainfurious

Post by captainfurious »

I really feel the humour on UKAR is fading sometimes. It's likely many months till the first RIAT update so why can't we have a bit of banter in the meantime. I will point out the moderator who locked the thread regularly comments on the RIAT toilet thread each year. Which again I enjoy to the long lead up.

Anyway, I didn't see the the goose waddle by this year at Totterdown so I'm pleased to read this. Another little nugget and treat on my RIAT weekend.

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

aviodromefriend wrote:

:lol: I'm just imagining someone trying to smuggle a fully grown goose through RIAT security...!

Just to confirm, Jack the goose is incapable of flight, and spends his RIAT time confined to the campsite at Totterdown. No safety issue, and no rule-breaking, so can we get back to inoffensive and amusing, now...? :smile:
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

[tweet]https://twitter.com/airtattoo/status/900290885035974656[/tweet]
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Jesus H. It's a sodding goose.

I had zero input or opinion on the action taken on the thread, but I suppose someone in a red username must eventually stump up and take some abuse regarding a thread about a goose.

I've seen the goose several times whilst camping at Totters over the years. The news story was a non-story, but still made me smile a little bit.

Anyway, couple of things - firstly and most importantly, JANNER77, Rule 11 - a moderator's decision is always final. You agreed to all of the listed rules when you signed up to the board. If you have an issue, raise it by the report/PM function, which you already have done. You need to trust it will be dealt with, and open to the idea that the staff team might disagree with your reasoning. It is not appropriate to vent publicly about moderator decisions.

Secondly, the thread had three comments, it was falling into obscurity and irrelevance anyway - I doubt the decision to lock it would have changed anything. People can still see the story if they so wish, and if it raises a smile with them, great. Moaning about the moderator's decision has achieved more comments than the actual story.

More broadly, I reiterate - it's a bloody goose. I would love, really dearly love, to have so little going on in my life that I could care, or be "shocked", or rage about a thread about a goose. Seriously, let it go.

If you've really got a problem with this place, no-one is forcing you to stay. I would be sad to see you go, as I am/would be sad to see anyone leave this place - but if you're not happy with the way it is run and don't want to deal with matters privately, and you do not feel like this is the place for you, then you're quite at liberty to leave. I'd never wish to see anyone here if they didn't enjoy themselves.

How about we all calm down, have a cup of tea, and let this goose nonsense lie, eh? I'd be ever so grateful if I can trust you all to be mature enough, rather than me have to come and tidy up this thread (which I could be doing now anyway, but figured I'd give y'all the benefit of the doubt, first. I hope I don't regret that.) :smile:

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

capercaillie wrote:
aviodromefriend wrote:

I don't think the goose is going to be doing much flying :grin: Don't think it even got on the airfield if I remember reading it correctly, but then again do I really care :facepalm:

All I remember is they missed the opportunity of the goose enjoying the Red Arrows performing the goose, in the typical lazy journalism you find today. :tongue:

In similar vein, I am shocked and appalled that no-one saw fit to crack the equally obvious "Talk to me, Goose" jokes. Some fantastically bored sub-ed should have been all over that one.

Ok, ok, I'll get my, erm, goose... :tumbleweed:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Pringles wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/airtattoo/status/900290885035974656[/tweet]

But the Goose doesn't support RIAT as he doesn't go in the showground.I am told his owners don't go in any day either-they don't budge from Totterdown for the duration of the show apparently.Just what I heard so it could be a case of someone else looks after the Goose whilst they go in.

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

It would probably take some kind of Maverick to crack some goose stories after whats happened. :roll:
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Looks more like a diplodocus in that pic than a goose lol :grin:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Sorry Goose, but it's time to feed the Tower....

JANNER77

Post by JANNER77 »

Jack the goose waddles into the beer tent at Fairford Airshow and asked the barman ‘’has my brother been in here’’? The the barman replies’’ I don’t know. What does he look like’’
[quote="Tommy"]Jesus H. It's a sodding goose.
[u]
Before I do as you ask Tommy. May I clarify one final point here: - my rant wasn’t about ‘’the sodding goose’’ per se but why anyone should at first be upset by it, then go on to censor it, is totally beyond my comprehension, and then Iam told that it's me that needs to get a life.
Come off it Tommy.
Last edited by JANNER77 on Mon 28 Aug 2017, 5:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

planenuttoo

Post by planenuttoo »

I bet he's not in sight when the bbq's are lit.

st24

Post by st24 »

Airwolfhound wrote:Looks more like a diplodocus in that pic than a goose lol :grin:

:lol: Look at the size of it!! It'll kill us all!! :hide:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

MiG_Eater

What was the surprise item scheduled for Saturday?

Post by MiG_Eater »

We keep hearing that there was a 'surprise item' scheduled for Saturday in last years show (Sunday had the B-2). A U-2 display was rumoured but then denied by DBH... does anybody know what the actual display was supposed to be?

play it cool

Re: What was the surprise item scheduled for Saturday?

Post by play it cool »

I always thought it was the U-2, didn't realise DBH had denied this.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

play it cool wrote:I always thought it was the U-2, didn't realise DBH had denied this.
It wasn't denied, there wasn't a pilot that had a DA. How close one of the pilots at Fairford had come to obtaining a DA (if that was the problem) hasn't been said, also a bit of poor asking the question to DBH, creating an escape route for the RAFCTE people.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Dan213

Post by Dan213 »

aviodromefriend wrote:
play it cool wrote:I always thought it was the U-2, didn't realise DBH had denied this.
It wasn't denied, there wasn't a pilot that had a DA. How close one of the pilots at Fairford had come to obtaining a DA (if that was the problem) hasn't been said, also a bit of poor asking the question to DBH, creating an escape route for the RAFCTE people.

What?