RIAT 2017 (Discussion & Participation Thread)

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Russ

Re: RIAT 2017

Post by Russ »

tankbuster wrote:I live 90 miles away and takes me 90minutes on Saturday morning from home to parked up

Wow. Some impressive lawbreaking there. :grin: :whistle:

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

:dizzy: that's an average of 60mph..... that's slow compared to most spotters driving speed dashing between Mildenhall and Lakenheath or Coningsby and Waddington :grin:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Russ wrote:
tankbuster wrote:I live 90 miles away and takes me 90minutes on Saturday morning from home to parked up

Even more so considering the sheer numbers queuing to get in on a Saturday morning along small country lanes :hide: :joystick:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Get there early enough and there won't be any queues, surely?!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Hampshire Aviation wrote:Get there early enough and there won't be any queues, surely?!

I've always encountered queues from 6.00am onwards, how early do you want to get there when you can't get on base until 7.30am?
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Harlequin67
UKAR Supporter

Post by Harlequin67 »

Russ wrote:

I must admit that on Sunday I did 85 odd miles from Heathrow area to Fairford in 1 hour 35 minutes. It was insane left London at about 7am, expecting to arrive at FRIAT stand circa 10am at best. Got onto M4 and cruised to junction 15, thought that was not too bad or busy. I then entered the A419 expecting traffic backed up. Still no traffic. Carried on until I left the A419 at the Fairford turn off. No traffic, still. Got caught at those narrow lane traffic lights for a very short while. Some traffic, but moving well.

Then I had a real stroke of luck, they opened up the rear entrance to the Blue car park. Drove in not stopping and got parked up near the dedicated FRIAT gate, walked straight in via the FRIAT security screening line, no queues. Got to FRIAT stand at 8.35am. That is insane.

The M4 wasn't done at a speed well over 70, it was a cruise speed. :whistle:
Aviation photographer - Achievement unlocked

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

boff180 wrote:Just to clarify, it appears the FRIAT renewal form is incorrect and Friday will be a half day show in 2017.

Update to this....
From the downloadable form I linked to in another topic , the renewal form now says :
Please note the following for RIAT 2017:

• Friday will be a public day with a 4 hour flying display
• Park & View - Wednesday, Thursday & Monday
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

According to today's e-mail, we will pass the RIAT -300 days mark today. Just miss the clock they had at their homepage for years.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Just got my tickets :) first time going. Opted for Saturday and Sunday, grandstand on Saturday and going to use Sunday to walk the static display etc.

Now all I need to do is wait on Easyjet putting flights up for sale!
Last edited by jasonT1981 on Wed 05 Oct 2016, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIAT Air Ops

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

jasonT1981 wrote:Now all I need to do is wait on Easyjet putting flights up for Sale!

Is that the new name for Manchester Airport?

:heyhey:

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

lol. Took me a few seconds to catch on to that

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

This lunchtime DBH have released the following news by E-mail.

Following the feedback regarding the 2016 FRIAT and Viewing Village grandstands, in particular the awful small/narrow seating (including the UKAR review :pinkwafer: ); the contract for the 2017 grandstands has been awarded to the previous supplied from 2015 and earlier. The seating widths.etc should return to "normal" for 2017 as a result.

Great news! :up:

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

It was very pleasing to receive the email. Here's the full thing for those who didn't receive it, I'm sure the folks at DBH won't mind.

Dear Air Tattoo Supporter
As you will be aware each year we ask for feedback about the Air Tattoo through our online visitor survey, comment cards and by talking to you at the event. We use this information to help shape our planning for the next show.
So, one of the main areas of comment from the 2016 show were the Grandstands in both the Viewing Village and the Friends of the Royal International Air Tattoo (FRIAT) Enclosure. We found that you much preferred the Grandstand structures we had in 2015 for a whole manner of reasons.
We are delighted to confirm we have now awarded the contract to the supplier that provided our Grandstands in 2015 so that we keep you, our customers, happy!
With regard to tickets for the Air Tattoo on 14-16 July 2017, we have already sold twice as many tickets as at the same point last year. So, if you haven’t yet done so please take a look at our ticket options HERE.
Many thanks for your support.
All at Air Tattoo HQ

Nice one DBH :clap:

rob68

Post by rob68 »

Looks like Silverstone F1 now clashes as FIA appear to have changed dates

Russ

Post by Russ »

rob68 wrote:Looks like Silverstone F1 now clashes as FIA appear to have changed dates

Not uncommon. Usually the Reds depart Fairford to display at Silverstone and then return. Can't see how it's much of a problem, unless you wish to attend RIAT and the F1.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Russ wrote:
rob68 wrote:Looks like Silverstone F1 now clashes as FIA appear to have changed dates

Not uncommon. Usually the Reds depart Fairford to display at Silverstone and then return. Can't see how it's much of a problem, unless you wish to attend RIAT and the F1.

Was comparing prices on Twitter last night.....

Sat/Sun at RIAT is currently £79
Sat/Sun at F1 is currently £260 - £58 of that is a charge for car parking!

FRIAT Mach 2 (4 day package) is currently £200
Similar access at F1 with a grandstand seat at the finish line is £599!

RIAT Air Ops

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

Russ wrote:

Plus factoring in display timings for Silverstone, time for RAFAT depart FFD to Silverstone and return, turn round/briefing time for the team on return and then display scheduling for RIAT. It may happen the other way around however that is already one factor that contributes to the structure of the display. Not a huge faff but ...... another aspect of display planning.

:cuppa:

CJS

Post by CJS »

Could they - in theory - run straight into their RIAT display as they returned from Silverstone? Fuel permitting of course.
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

I suppose the vast difference in price between Riat and F1 could be attributed to a number of things..
Its the only F1 race in the country.

You pay to see arguably the current best 20+ drivers as well as a whole bunch of emerging talent.

Bernie doesn't have his mitts on Riat.
I'm as much a motor racing fan as I am an aviation bod. But no, I wouldn't pay Silverstone prices.

I suppose it boils down to what the punters are willing to pay.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

boff180 wrote:This lunchtime DBH have released the following news by E-mail.

Following the feedback regarding the 2016 FRIAT and Viewing Village grandstands, in particular the awful small/narrow seating (including the UKAR review :pinkwafer: ); the contract for the 2017 grandstands has been awarded to the previous supplied from 2015 and earlier. The seating widths.etc should return to "normal" for 2017 as a result.

Now if we could just the the grandstands moved south of the taxiway that the static is on then they won't be obscuring the view of the 98% of the paying public that don't have access to them.

"Oh look - a flying pig!" etc

sismore

Post by sismore »

speedbird2639 wrote:
boff180 wrote:This lunchtime DBH have released the following news by E-mail.

Now if we could just the the grandstands moved south of the taxiway that the static is on then they won't be obscuring the view of the 98% of the paying public that don't have access to them.

"Oh look - a flying pig!" etc

That comment is a little silly do you not think?

-I don't thing 98% of the 'paying public' would fit behind the Grandstands.

-Those of us in the grandstands are not classed as 'Paying public' ?

-you have at least another mile either side of the grandstands to choose from.

I am sure that overall the grandstands do not really obstruct the view to anyone apart from part of the take offs, landings and of aircraft movements on the ground while standing behind them and you would be silly to just stay behind them at close proximity anyway.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

That comment is a little silly do you not think?

Well maybe slightly exaggerated but I will explain

-I don't thing 98% of the 'paying public' would fit behind the Grandstands.

The grandstands and chalets and visitor villages have been steadily expanding over the last 25 years or so and now take up the majority of the centre third of the flightline. Have a look at the map/ schematic they issue each year if you don't believe me. I will never understand why a raised grandstand which allows a view over the people in front of it has to be as close to the front of the showground as possible when moving it say 50m back to the taxiway would have no measureable deterioration of experience for those using said grandstand.

-Those of us in the grandstands are not classed as 'Paying public' ?

Well technically yrs. But I class them as 'ruperts' - the 'paying public' for me is the huddled masses on their tartan blankets on the grass

-you have at least another mile either side of the grandstands to choose from.

Again - technically yes - but as anyone who has been to RIAT will know if you are more than a few hundred metres off centre you will see very little as most of the display items confine their displays to the centre third of the crowdline (in front of the grandstands :mad: ) so if you choose to view outside of this centre area you may as well save your money and go to Totterdown or just stand on the road as the view will be about the same

I am sure that overall the grandstands do not really obstruct the view to anyone apart from part of the take offs, landings and of aircraft movements on the ground while standing behind them and you would be silly to just stay behind them at close proximity anyway.

When I go to RIAT the best shots (IMHO) are the take offs and landings. A lot of the planes (esp the fast jets)are now painted in a shade of grey which I assume is called "English Summer Sky" so taking a picture which the item is flying can be challenging at best. The grandstands/ villages are so large now that you can be some way to the side of them and as they are right on the crowd line you can't get a decent take off or landing shot. If you are to the West of all the crowdline clutter then by the time the plane comes into view the wheels are up and its almost at display height.

My solution is move the grandstands back nearer the taxiway and allow the proles into the area in front. Even if they keep the restriction to FRIAT members in front of the grandstand moving them back will allow a clear line of sight along the crowdline for those who wish to take take off/ landing shots. Those in the grandstands will be largely unaffected as by their own admission they tend to have Saturn 5 sized lens (hence the moaning about the cramped grandstand).

Also move the villages further back - the majority of the people in these corporate sponsored tents have little or no interest in the show and just go to wolf down as much free tuck and bubbles as they can lay their hands on and 'network' with other like minded individuals. They don't need to be right on the crowd line to do this. People say if the grandstands/ corporate villages were removed then the price of the tickets would have to rocket even higher - well I would like to see a breakdown of how much these facilities bring in as I'm not convinced of that argument. Sure the price would have to increase but probably not by more than a £5. Would I pay £5 to guarantee an unobstructed crowdline? Yes; Am I going to be railroaded into paying £200 to join the ruperts in FRIAT just to get that unobstructed view? No.

Maybe I should just restrict myself to arrivals/ departures where things are a bit more egalitarian or go to Totterdown where you get a better view of the display for a fraction of the price.

Any way - rant over as I'm confident nothing will change.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

I feel sorry for you if you go to a US Airshow any time soon, their model is the same regardless of it is a free or ticketed event.

If you want any view whatsoever that isn't the extreme right or left of the crowd line you have to pay extra... not only for grandstands but to sit anywhere at the front.

People pay more for the best views which (of taking off and landing aircraft) is what a grandstand provides. Move the grandstands from the front and they won't be sold, simple economics.

There is quite a large space between the disabled enclosure and the main grandstand at crowd centre for the general public, if you choose not to go and get a pitch at that location that, frankly, is your own problem.

As for the chalets, the sponsors pay a lot of money to the show that without it wouldn't exist, the organisers aren't going to do anything to reduce the experience of the sponsors guests. That would be more damaging to the show tha Alexandra Burke!

We live in a capitalist society and money talks. That is the nub of things whether you agree with it or not.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Do RIAT produce an annual report which breaks down their income stream - it would be interesting to see the make up of their income from traders, general ticket sales, FRIAT etc - people keep stating without the ruperts the show would be uneconomical but I've never seen anyone present any figures to back up their assertion.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다