RIAT 2017 (Discussion & Participation Thread)

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Airshowhammer

Re: RIAT 2017

Post by Airshowhammer »

Oh that sounds promising! I thought they already released their schedule!
And Chris, i claim my bacon roll already. :snack:

CJS

Post by CJS »

Adie1980 wrote:
CJS wrote:Does anyone know if the USAF are treating RIAT 2017 as their official European birthday party? If they are I would say the T'birds are definitely a likely addition. Ten years since their last visit, 100 year anniversary of their own airforce...

Airshowhammer I bet you an overpriced bacon roll next July 15th that you're there ;-)

Why do you keep saying 100th anniversary CJS?? It's their 70th according to the poster! :lol:

Oh pfff, what's 30 years between friends? Details details :sleepy:

:grin:
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Brevet Cable wrote:
CJS wrote:2017 and 2018 have the potential - with the two huge anniversaries - to be even more impressive than this year.

2018.....60 years since the first flight of the mighty Phantom -- subtle hint to DBH !! :biggrin:

This is the 2017 thread, please keep it on topic............. :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

CJS wrote:
Adie1980 wrote:
CJS wrote:Does anyone know if the USAF are treating RIAT 2017 as their official European birthday party? If they are I would say the T'birds are definitely a likely addition. Ten years since their last visit, 100 year anniversary of their own airforce...

Airshowhammer I bet you an overpriced bacon roll next July 15th that you're there ;-)

Why do you keep saying 100th anniversary CJS?? It's their 70th according to the poster! :lol:

Oh pfff, what's 30 years between friends? Details details :sleepy:

:grin:

2018 is 100th anniversary of the RAF. Its going to be HUGE. :up:

zigzag

Post by zigzag »

Flare Path wrote:2018 is 100th anniversary of the RAF. Its going to be HUGE. :up:

Given the seemingly current lack of interest by the RAF in airshows I will believe that when I see it
If you like these pics there are more utterly brilliant shots at https://www.flickr.com/photos/131094099@N08/albums
#MOT

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

Maybe he means huge in the sense everyone will be supporting it, except the RAF :lol: :lol:
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

Russ

Post by Russ »

boff180 wrote:RIAT 2017 will see the Friday become a full day show whereas at the moment it is a half day.

Mixed news for me. I guess it's good that Wednesday and Thursday most probably got a lot busier but I quite enjoyed a more relaxed feel to Friday, where you had plenty of time to wonder around the static without missing the flying. See how it pans out I suppose. :wat:

blackcat

Post by blackcat »

Would love to see the Friday Display become a late afternoon /evening show. Say flying starts at 4pm -8pm
That would give the morning to get more movements on to base,

Would bring something very different to the format and if the sun was out think of that light. :smile:

Appreciate the show is not just for the enthusiast but with it being in school time Friday anyway is much more for us than the weekend.

Go on RIAT ,You know you want to. :smile:

Mark.

Russ

Post by Russ »

Great idea. :up:

flight79

Post by flight79 »

I heard a X German F4 Phantom for static but its not confirmed just a rumor :hide:

Chris IL-76

Post by Chris IL-76 »

Burleysway wrote:2017 thread already :shock: :wink:

Only 367 days 20 hours to wait

I expect there are people standing there now waiting for arrivals! lol

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

flight79 wrote:I heard a X German F4 Phantom for static but its not confirmed just a rumor :hide:

See post 13..
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

blackcat wrote: Would bring something very different to the format and if the sun was out think of that light. :smile:

Mark.

Yep, in your face, a nice display squinting at silhouettes. :up:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Thats Great, So lets hope they stick a Star item on to tempt us in or another ATA Refuelling demo again like last Fridays F35 one so the Joe Soapers that go Sat and Sunday can miss out on it. Great stuff.

3 Days of the type of Sat and Sundays show is far too long, You could look at 12 F-16 demos and 12 Typhoon Demos.

Dont forget the wing walkers and Jordanians will be celebrating the USAF Anniversary too.

Let the Hype begin.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

blackcat wrote:Would love to see the Friday Display become a late afternoon /evening show. Say flying starts at 4pm -8pm
That would give the morning to get more movements on to base,

Would bring something very different to the format and if the sun was out think of that light. :smile:

Appreciate the show is not just for the enthusiast but with it being in school time Friday anyway is much more for us than the weekend.

Go on RIAT ,You know you want to. :smile:

Mark.

My trip to the Sanicole evening show was something I will never forget, something very different. RIAT are going to find it harder and harder to find a varied and interesting line up within the context of modern defense force developments. An evening show would be fantastic IMHO, with a combination of fast jets, helicopters with flares and piros. I know they seem to have issues with flares which is a great shame. RIAT, like all brands, always needs to keep looking forward and evolving. Perhaps an evening show is one option?
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Just to clarify, it appears the FRIAT renewal form is incorrect and Friday will be a half day show in 2017.

Sorry, meant to update the thread with that info as per riatmarketing's post :-)

Andy

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Personally I'm not convinced by the three day format as it stands. It seems like a waste of time for those only attending it on the one day, as it's a half show both in the air and on the ground and for everyone doing the full package, it kind of wears you out by Sunday - yes, we love aircraft but there's only so many times you can watch the same thing or walk past the same thing before it becomes samey. I'm definitely not convinced by the Pit area at all. It was decent for the Red's 50th with all the teams but this year it was utterly pointless - the Typhoons were cool but other than the Reds again it was totally barren and seemed like nothing more than a token effort that in no way made up for the western end being closed off. I understand that it's the RAF's request to have it as a three day show in 2018 but I hope it goes back to the previous format afterwards.

Sadly I suspect it won't, as it'll be a money maker for RIAT that they won't want to just give up.

I LOVE the idea of making it an evening show though. It'd be a USP (as if RIAT needed one anyway) and it'd capture the audience who are coming up on the Friday for the weekend anyway. I could see there being a problem with needing cadets working outside of hours though. But without flares it wouldn't have quite the full effect - that really needs to be addressed as it doesn't seem to be a problem anywhere else on the continent?
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Given they are hopeful of 'significant' contributions to the US Air Force 70th, I hope it is a 3 day full show... :ninja:

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Georgeconna wrote:Thats Great, So lets hope they stick a Star item on to tempt us in or another ATA Refuelling demo again like last Fridays F35 one so the Joe Soapers that go Sat and Sunday can miss out on it. Great stuff.

3 Days of the type of Sat and Sundays show is far too long, You could look at 12 F-16 demos and 12 Typhoon Demos.

Dont forget the wing walkers and Jordanians will be celebrating the USAF Anniversary too.

Let the Hype begin.

Such pessimism will get you a long way... :grin:

Actually, the Breitling Wingwalkers would be very relevant participants for an American-themed show - locally-based and provided by a sponsor (so relatively cheap I presume) and the Stearman type saw its main service with the precursor to the USAF. I suggest you read up on the history re. the Jordanians at RIAT - it might not be the most dynamic display of the weekend, but the team are highly significant attendees because of the country's heritage at the show.

As an aside, inclined to agree with you on that Sam - with presumably three identical show days being touted for 2018, it's bound to become incredibly samey - particularly considering the Friday already seems to sell tickets incredibly slowly, even with less tickets available. Was having this discussion with a friend just the other day, given the extra costs involved in lengthening the week for enthusiasts if Tuesday becomes a regular arrivals day in future (for a full three day show). All for the evening show also! :up:

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

I quite like that evening show suggestion, although that would unfortunately rule out the school/brownie/cub/etc groups that all seemed to having such a good time this year. Inspiring the next generation is one of the event's primary objectives.

I prefer Friday to be different to the conventional weekend show days. Personally, I don't mind the current Friday format. Its different, and steps you up from arrival days to show days. There's a bit of everything on Friday.

john001

Post by john001 »

I like the three day format. Coming from a long way I will always be there four days and it gives an extra opportunity for good weather to do half a static park and display.

AMB

Post by AMB »

Chris IL-76 wrote:
Burleysway wrote:2017 thread already :shock: :wink:

Only 367 days 20 hours to wait

I expect there are people standing there now waiting for arrivals! lol

As I was walking out after the show, an announcement was being made that early bird tickets will go on sale in September for next year....and here was I thinking I had time to recover from this year! :question:
Adrian

RIAT Air Ops

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

Russ wrote:Great idea. :up:

Not sure the local residents would view it in the same vein!

RIAT Air Ops

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

Wissam24 wrote:But without flares it wouldn't have quite the full effect - that really needs to be addressed as it doesn't seem to be a problem anywhere else on the continent?

Please give this a rest, we've explained it umpteen times and it just cant be achieved. The continent is the continent and the venues where you see them have the wherewithall to handle IR flares, we don't.

:wall:

MarkEstus

Post by MarkEstus »

@RIAT Air Ops
I can't help but notice a lot of your responses are either short or very rude. I feel that there should be a level of respect given to those who pay hundreds of pounds to attend The World's "Biggest" and most "Exciting" Airshow no ?

I left a review (my opinion) on the Official Facebook page which then resulted in me being blocked from the page. Why was this ? Because my view was not to the standard of your own ?

The lack of static aircraft the lack of Helicopters and not to mention the lack of Atmosphere that once used to be at RIAT has now gone and it seemed like Ascot minus the horses. Marquees and pavilions blocking the view of the runway and the view of paying customers. Shuttle buses not running smoothly as we had to get of one but then onto another just to get to the exit. You're official campsite advertising a bar and special surprises which never came to reality. 6 toilets for over a hundred campers. Lunch and breakfast ? A burger van which was out of chips.

I could go on with the disaster of what was this year's RIAT. But I'm sure I'm only going to get a condisending, rude response.

Regards

Mark
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/332375753559900/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;