Which is the Best 'Park & View' for Sunday?

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
RobThePlaneSpotter

Which is the Best 'Park & View' for Sunday?

Post by RobThePlaneSpotter »

Hello,

I am planning on coming down to Air Tattoo on Sunday for the third time running and parking up in one of the many park and views around the area. In 2014 i went to Furzey Hill but this location was quite distant from the runway and the trees surrounding the field completely obscured the view of what was happening at the show. However this location did have it's advantages because it was the turning point for quite a few planes, and some such as the Lancaster and F-16 came straight overhead which was a thrilling experience to say the least! In 2015 i decided to check out Totterdown Hill and in general this was a better location because it was much closer to the runway and supplied a pretty decent view of the show. The only bad point to this place was that the aircraft didn't come overhead as the site runs alongside the runway apposed to the turning point like with Furzey Hill, and so it wasn't quite as good from this aspect.

For this year i was thinking about Rhymes Barn because while it's more expensive, everyone seems to talk about this place being incredible and much closer to the action than anywhere else. But as it appears to be closed this year, i am looking for other alternatives. Kempsford Camping looks like a good one but i'm not sure whether i'll be able to turn up on the day, or whether it's just for people who are stopping overnight. Ideally i need somewhere as close as possible where i can take photographs with a 55-250mm lens, which is a bit short for doing aircraft but is all i have at the moment. As mentioned the site needs to accept people turning up on Sunday morning for viewing during the day and then leaving towards the late-afternoon. Otherwise i might end up going back to Totterdown for the second time which won't be bad by any means, but i was hoping to find somewhere else.

Any suggestions and advice would be most appreciated. Cheers!

BossMann

Re: Which is the Best 'Park & View' for Sunday?

Post by BossMann »

Sorry but rhymes farm is closed this year...

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

As Rhymes is closed this year I presume the people who normally go there will have decamped to the other sites making it more likely they are already full booked/ will be very full early on show days.

As I'm not a freeloader and will be inside the show ground I can't really offer any further advice. If you are such a 'plane spotter' how come you always freeload and never buy a ticket for the show? OK they are sold out now - but they have been on sale since at least January. Maybe next year, eh?

RobThePlaneSpotter

Post by RobThePlaneSpotter »

speedbird2639 wrote:As Rhymes is closed this year I presume the people who normally go there will have decamped to the other sites making it more likely they are already full booked/ will be very full early on show days.

As I'm not a freeloader and will be inside the show ground I can't really offer any further advice. If you are such a 'plane spotter' how come you always freeload and never buy a ticket for the show? OK they are sold out now - but they have been on sale since at least January. Maybe next year, eh?

Thanks for the response! Yes, this is what i'm worried about with turning up on the day, as Rhymes is closed it's likely all the other sites will be packed-out by the time i arrive. RAF Fairford is a lengthy 50 mile journey from where i live and so it's quite possible i'll be too late to get into these places.

About the freeloading, i'm not really a plane spotter at all but you'd be forgiven for thinking i was with this username which suggests otherwise. Actually, this username is just a play on my YouTube channel name which is all about cars, so you can guess what the name would be without me saying much else. The show is very expensive and for someone my age (I'm 20) it's a little too much, especially considering i'm not some massive aviation enthusiast. I love coming to RIAT once a year but that's about as far as my 'plane spotting' goes. To be honest i can't see me ever buying tickets for the actual show because i'm a cheapskate, but maybe at some point i'll be lucky enough to win them in a competition!