Is Friday the new Saturday?

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
pbeardmore

Is Friday the new Saturday?

Post by pbeardmore »

Sorry for starting a new thread but I had a cracking Friday, drive straight in (and out) , great viewing position, superb access to the static with a relaxed atmosphere, brilliant flying display and then more time to explore the static and watch a few departures.

Friday is a great value day IMHO. The Friday display seems now to be a key part of the RIAT experience (if you can get the day off)
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Dan O'Hagan

Re: Is Friday the new Saturday?

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

pbeardmore wrote:Sorry for starting a new thread but I had a cracking Friday, drive straight in (and out) , great viewing position, superb access to the static with a relaxed atmosphere, brilliant flying display and then more time to explore the static and watch a few departures.

Friday is a great value day IMHO. The Friday display seems now to be a key part of the RIAT experience (if you can get the day off)

Except next year Friday becomes a full show day...

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
pbeardmore wrote:Sorry for starting a new thread but I had a cracking Friday, drive straight in (and out) , great viewing position, superb access to the static with a relaxed atmosphere, brilliant flying display and then more time to explore the static and watch a few departures.

Except next year Friday becomes a full show day...

Even so, will it become as packed out as a Saturday or Sunday. I had intended to go Friday this year with Saturday being Legends. With the preliminary flying schedule for Friday not including Ramex I changed plans and booked for Sunday. I had thought that Friday would be the quietest day of the week end and still think it will be so in the future. Completely messed things up forgot to book Legends fortunately, other things cropped up today so saved a few bob. Unfortunately as a warbird nut over modern military I now miss out on Legends, still I suppose the Warbirds will be there next year and Ramex wont.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Tim N

Post by Tim N »

It's a great display and still busy people wise, just steer clear of the Green car park !
Don't expect re-admission if you return to your car after the display either.
I wanted to stay until the end yesterday to avoid the Friday rush hour traffic on the M4 and M25 and they said I wouldn't be able to re-enter despite it being not long after 4 PM.
Ended up leaving at 5 and hitting every delay the motorways and towns could throw at me.

To sum up , Friday is a good option, but if you are an Alan Partridge 'I just hate the general public' type of person and hate crowds you will be disappointed and Friday offers no real advantage in that way.
Aim to leave Fairford at the latest possible time if you are returning to the South east via motorways too.
Friday will work for some depending on your location.
My day was great until I saw the queue for the compulsory (you aren't permitted to walk) shuttle bus back to Green .

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

On the contrary to what was said earlier, green car park, straight in at 7am straight out at 7pm, back in Farnborough by just gone 8, positions at the fence were aplenty, walk around static was easily done after the display had finished, no queues for buses, battery on phone still at 38%, not parched as had copious amount of tea to hand :biggrin: However there were water bowsers for free fill ups of water bottles and free phone charging on site if for some reason your logistical planning had been slightly inferior :facepalm:

Tim N

Post by Tim N »

Rampvan wrote:On the contrary to what was said earlier, green car park, straight in at 7am straight out at 7pm, back in Farnborough by just gone 8, positions at the fence were aplenty, walk around static was easily done after the display had finished, no queues for buses, battery on phone still at 38%, not parched as had copious amount of tea to hand :biggrin: However there were water bowsers for free fill ups of water bottles and free phone charging on site if for some reason your logistical planning had been slightly inferior :facepalm:

Green was fine as far as getting in and out but a pain relying on shuttle buses for what would be a short walk when a 1000 people want to do the same thing !

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

Tim N wrote:
Rampvan wrote:On the contrary to what was said earlier, green car park, straight in at 7am straight out at 7pm, back in Farnborough by just gone 8, positions at the fence were aplenty, walk around static was easily done after the display had finished, no queues for buses, battery on phone still at 38%, not parched as had copious amount of tea to hand :biggrin: However there were water bowsers for free fill ups of water bottles and free phone charging on site if for some reason your logistical planning had been slightly inferior :facepalm:

Green was fine as far as getting in and out but a pain relying on shuttle buses for what would be a short walk when a 1000 people want to do the same thing !

We stepped on the bus without queuing on both entry and exit, in fact we didn't queue for anything all day !

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Did you enjoy the Croatian Mi171, Japanese 767 and Omani CASA in the static? :snack:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Tim N

Post by Tim N »

IF I do a Friday again, I'll use the 'Blue' car park and give the rush after the last act at 3 back to the Green car park shuttle bus a swerve :grin:
Btw, was there any mention of no re-entry after about 1600 on a Friday on the ticket t&c's?

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Except next year Friday becomes a full show day...

Had not heard that. Sounds like a plan for next year.....
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

EGL

Post by EGL »

I did Friday last year with the family and we all had a great day - were in "the area" or so I told my wife but hour and a half drive counts in my book.

I couldn't contemplate do a Saturday or Sunday at RIAT with my wife and kids - far too busy, I'd want to sit and watch flying all day while kids would want to go round stalls, static aircraft etc. Really worked for me and would definitely consider it again. Also helps that our schools up here finish at the end of June, whereas most English schools are still on.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

capercaillie wrote:

Did you enjoy the Croatian Mi171, Japanese 767 and Omani CASA in the static? :snack:

No but I did enjoy the full display by the F22 :smile:
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

capercaillie wrote:Did you enjoy the Croatian Mi171, Japanese 767 and Omani CASA in the static? :snack:

Yep!

Are they the most perfect shots ever? No, probably not. Are they good enough for me? Without a doubt.

bigfatron

Post by bigfatron »

capercaillie wrote:Did you enjoy the Croatian Mi171, Japanese 767 and Omani CASA in the static? :snack:

It was offset by the Tiger scheme F-16 taxiing in right up to the spectator fence about 15 minutes before the display started. :rock:

I was another who had my first Friday visit this year as I couldn't make the main days. Most the stuff I wanted to see was on the shortened programme (the late substitute appearance of the Rafale was a plus). No queue to speak of at the gate (entered the showground at about 8:50). Getting a fenceline spot was a doddle (we were in the viewing village and they let people use the plastic chairs even though they'd only sold seats in the grandstand). Getting around the static stuff was a breeze, and we even had first dibs on any tat being sold by the crews. Basically a day of most of the positives without an awful lot of the negatives.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

hush, dont tell everyone, its a secret how good Friday is

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

No because Friday is still Friday & Saturday is still Saturday, unless there is a plan in the calender that Saturday will now swap with Friday's, i suggest no. :grin:
:clown:

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

pbeardmore wrote:hush, dont tell everyone, its a secret how good Friday is

Too late! :grin:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP