RIAT static verdict?

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
tankbuster

RIAT static verdict?

Post by tankbuster »

I've seen several derogatory statements about the static but I thought it was really good. It may not be up to 1992 era standards but it is still probably the best static display of any air show in the world:

It stretches for 2 miles with aircraft all the way
It was a much better layout this year with great access for pictures
A definite reduction in blue cones, ropes and other intrusions
Really well thought out F35 placing
An excellent selection of heavies which I like
Grouping of Tornados and F16s worked very well
The F16/Mirage line up may not have been strictly static but once again very well parked and excellent photo opportunities
Crews so very welcoming and friendly
Terrific selection of crew merchandise available
Good selection of public access to some of the heavies and some very obliging crew giving access to specific aircraft when asked nicely
Greek Phantoms, enough said, also well placed
Participants from Australia, New Zealand and Japan, that's a very long way to come (I'll give you that South American participation wasn't the best its ever been)

I suppose apart from that it wasn't up to much :smile:
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Mul

Re: RIAT static verdict?

Post by Mul »

Yeah, I think that the criticism is very harsh, considering it's been the best flying display in a long long time, and even planes such as the F35 that aren't even on static were well placed (although a bit out of the way for people from entrances that aren't the red route). I haven't done the static fully since 2010 so perhaps I am not the best to comment but in the current situation in this decade, RIAT have done amazing to get some great statics such as the Pakistan C-130 and the F4's. :up:

poopsie

Post by poopsie »

I have to agree with what tankbuster says. We have seen better in de good old days, but we have seen worse as well. A bit of everything for everybody.
IMHO I think RIAT has had a revival this year. Better static, better flying programme, although 4 typhoons and 4 F-16 was a bit OTT ( nevertheless I enjoyed it ). More variety in food stalls (indian, mexican, organic, chinese, thai and of course traditional ) and more stalls than last year with more variety of goods presented.
8 out of 10 for me. And this was my 25th (R)IAT this year.
Peter
Belgian Waffle

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

I've been attending RIAT since 2009 and thought this year's static measured up well :clap:
Worst year for static was 2011, and 2012 the best (I'm hoping 2017 will see a proper return of big USAF static items!)

romeo bravo

Post by romeo bravo »

This is my first RIAT since early 2000s and, personally, would struggle to get enthused on returning next year. Arrived on Friday and stopped in the campsite just outside, so saw the flying from outside on Friday, inside on Saturday and outside on Sunday until we decided to make our way home.

Layout was no where near it used to be, seemed swashed to allow car parks to expand; pardon the pun, there were some big gaps in the static, B52s!! Flying program was gappie especially on Sunday, waiting for the Reds to return from Silverstone.

Didn't seem that busy inside walking around and roads were free flowing through the day.

Problem is that I was spoilt being there through the 80s and 90s where you queue to get in and out, had to shoulder barge to get near the front to get any decent static shots. The main flying slots covered by the same variant of aircraft, back in the day would see a large number of different types, but the future will no doubt be limited to Typhoon, F35, F16, F22.

jason82wells

Post by jason82wells »

I think the criticism the static element came in for ahead of the weekend was not warranted.

What was there was good, some of it was unusual too. I thought they did well in terms of locating them & it was nice to see both the F22 & F35 in the pit area.

I've seen folk whining about the lack of heavies from the RAF/USAF but speaking of the RAF, we had a A400M, Herc, Voyager. Surely we're only missing the E3 & the C17? :dizzy:

sopwithflyer

Post by sopwithflyer »

It wasn't the best but it was alright!

I usually spend Fri-Sun inside the showground; one of those watching the flying and the other two wandering around. The ap on my phone tells me I walked 24.8 km on Saturday (includes walking into the show) and am not sure if any other airshow would result in that.

It wasn't amazing, but with decent flying it was a good show. Having your cake and eating it only spoils the flavour of the next one.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Its almost as if people didn't realise that its not 1997 any more.

uk02048

Post by uk02048 »

Been going for past 20 odd years and actually i thought the static had good variety and maybe just me but i managed to get on board/close access to loads more than before. Felt it lacked one or two massive star items but really id be indulging myself again given the quality that was there - realistically one or two of the following would have been lovely - u2/b1/b2/b52/c5/c17 and anything exotic like su25/su27. Convincing idf to send over their 707 would have been good. Being greedy.

Thought layout was ok f22s a bit distant plus id like to see the c130s stacked up in a line per old days of 135s, 141s. Didnt really understand pit area this year - not much in it!!

rovers1

Post by rovers1 »

Hi all. First time post. I thought the static was a bit thin this year. Couldn't understand why the 3 planes were moved from the centre on sat night. would have liked to of seen both a400 together and all c130s together. Also thought the raf made a poor show this year. Just my thoughts

JJC

Post by JJC »

rovers1 wrote:Hi all. First time post. I thought the static was a bit thin this year. Couldn't understand why the 3 planes were moved from the centre on sat night. would have liked to of seen both A400M together and all c130s together. Also thought the raf made a poor show this year. Just my thoughts

Aircraft were moved Saturday post-show, in order to allow departures for Farnborough on Sunday morning. Do agree re. a line up of Hercs - one of the things I always enjoy about RIAT!
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

romeo bravo wrote:This is my first RIAT since early 2000s and, personally, would struggle to get enthused on returning next year. Arrived on Friday and stopped in the campsite just outside, so saw the flying from outside on Friday, inside on Saturday and outside on Sunday until we decided to make our way home.

Layout was no where near it used to be, seemed swashed to allow car parks to expand; pardon the pun, there were some big gaps in the static, B52s!! Flying program was gappie especially on Sunday, waiting for the Reds to return from Silverstone.

Didn't seem that busy inside walking around and roads were free flowing through the day.

Problem is that I was spoilt being there through the 80s and 90s where you queue to get in and out, had to shoulder barge to get near the front to get any decent static shots. The main flying slots covered by the same variant of aircraft, back in the day would see a large number of different types, but the future will no doubt be limited to Typhoon, F35, F16, F22.

I've seen some nonsense posted since the show but this is up there at the top.
Let me get this right, your main criticism of the show was that it was too easy to get in and out, you didn't have to que enough and it wasn't a scrum to take pictures?
Madness. :dizzy: :dizzy:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Adie1980 wrote:I've been attending RIAT since 2009 and thought this year's static measured up well :clap:
Worst year for static was 2011, and 2012 the best (I'm hoping 2017 will see a proper return of big USAF static items!)

2011 wasn't actually all that bad, we had an Il-76, Su-27, B-52, Tiger Mirage & Tornado & some lovely looking Hercs from Turkey and Saudi.

But if you're talking about 2013, that was the worst year! It had some many empty spaces. And no USAF :grin:

Russ

Post by Russ »

I would say it was pretty good in the current circumstances. Remember there were a few unfortunate cancellations in the lead up too, that would have very much padded it out - A310, C-130, KDC-10, C-27J and An-26. No point reminiscing about the "good old times" of the 80's and 90's. It's a different world. I don't think you'll find many, if any, better static line ups this year than what we had a RIAT. Layout was good too.

And next year is the USAF 70th, maybe some gems to be had. :drool: :ninja: :up:

CJS

Post by CJS »

I honestly don't see how you can complain at this year's static lineup :dunno:

Where else in the world this year will you see an Australian KC-30a, Canadian CP-140, Piaggio R166C, Textron Scorpion, 2 (2!) Greek Phantoms, an Irish CN-235, Japanese 767 and Croatian MiL Mi-171 on the same airfield?

And that's without even mentioning the Raptors and Lightnings.

It was a cracking static lineup. :win:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Pleased to hear that Peter (Poopsie) made it again this year!

Alex
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP