Time to be grateful for and celebrate the Jordanian Falcons

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Meep

Time to be grateful for and celebrate the Jordanian Falcons

Post by Meep »

One of things I've noticed sadly recently is the regular mocking and criticism of the Royal Jordanian Falcons on this forum. Its time to start celebrating one of the Air Tattoos best supporters, not mock.

The history of Jordan supporting the Air Tattoo is remarkable, a small air force, from a small Middle East country, shows time and time again an incredible support that many big air arms, richer and closer countries don't. Alongside this they put on an excellent presence, whilst many countries manage a stand and a bit of merchandise, the effort they go to put on a marquee, to encourage people to learn and do something different is fantastic, few other countries bother.

In the over 20 years I've attended RIAT, nothing has moved me like the tribute to King Hussein in 99, the missing man formation still resonates today. It was a truly special moment, more so than any first flight or grand display. It showed a respect that was so very special

And much more importantly, Jordan has done so much to making flying and the interest we share accessible to people. It was the late King Hussein set up the scholarships to help disabled flying fly, he personally supported the show. He made the effort and showed a commitment to the show that throughout all the shrinking of the show, has perserved to this day

I get that some people find the Falcons display a bit quieter, and bit less adventurous, but guess what, airshows would be really boring if they were all after burners and loud displays, does a quieter 10 minutes really bother you that much? Variety is important, stories are important, heritage and commitment are important. The Falcons and the country of Jordan have shown that as much as anyone to RIAT.

Its time to start celebrating the unique connection RIAT has to Jordan and Falcons and not be so quick to criticise and moan because we dont have a 17th fast jet display of the day.
Last edited by Meep on Tue 12 Jul 2016, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

profile_M

Re: Time to be grateful for and celebrate the Jordanian Falc

Post by profile_M »

Well said :clap:

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Couldn't have put it better. :clap:

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

does a quieter 10 minutes really bother you that much?

No - I had a sandwich and a then a bit of a doze while they were on. Tbf to them they don't do badly with planes that are made out of brown paper and have a Briggs and Stratton lawnmower engine in them!

JJC

Post by JJC »

Agreed wholeheartedly. The effort which must go into transporting the team to Europe each and every summer, without fail, is supremely commendable and should command a certain respect regardless of what individuals think of the display itself. Especially when you consider how long the team must have to spend away from home/their families whilst attending events around Europe.

Not only that, but I personally think the team fly an extremely tidy, tight and well-executed routine every single year, no matter the conditions at the time (the strong crosswinds on Saturday being a prime example of this). Their dedication, professionalism and excellent contribution should only be applauded.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

fire3

Post by fire3 »

You have hit the nail on the head. I thought they were fantastic and a very welcome addition to any airshow big or small.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

havent seen them this year but i usually do sit back and enjoy their display

banksy

Post by banksy »

Excellent post, and very well said too.

I myself am learning to appreciate that my young lads love watching those kind of acts rather than sharing my excitement of the likes of an F22.

Seeing the looks on their faces does it for me, and as you say they provide us with a quality display whilst many decide to take a break from the display.

They are always welcome as far as I'm concerned.
Chester FC Fan Engagement Director
Twitter: @banks247

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Should also be remembered they were great stalwarts of countless Mildenhall Air Fetes down the years. As were the Grasshoppers with their Alouettes. Acts which, while not getting pulses racing perhaps, could always be appreciated for bringing something different to the display... And to be fair, they had dog weather on Sat.

Mantog

Post by Mantog »

Great post Meep. I always make a point of watching them when they display, and in fact one of my favourite shots from this year was of their take off.

john001

Post by john001 »

Quite agree - let's not forget as well they are our allies in the fight against IS and lost one of their F16 pilots in horrific circumstances .

Tangoringo.

Post by Tangoringo. »

Ditto to all the posts above. I'm always happy to see their names on the display list. A classy team with first rate pilots.

st24

Post by st24 »

They're a competent team that have always delivered a flowing display. It's just that Jordan have relied entirely on them and the Herc as their sole participation and so familiarity and all that.. When they sent F-5s and F1s and even C.101s then that was a different matter..
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

st24 wrote:They're a competent team that have always delivered a flowing display. It's just that Jordan have relied entirely on them and the Herc as their sole participation and so familiarity and all that.. When they sent F-5s and F1s and even C.101s then that was a different matter..

This.

Absolutely no complaints about either the Falcons or (particularly) the Herc, but c'mon guys, how about a couple of F-16s for the static?
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

st24

Post by st24 »

Also worth adding that the Herc will always bring the sun out on arrival, guarantee an utterly gorgeous desert camo scheme and give a spirited low-ish fly out on Monday.. :up:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

AFC

Post by AFC »

speedbird2639 wrote:
does a quieter 10 minutes really bother you that much?

No - I had a sandwich and a then a bit of a doze while they were on. Tbf to them they don't do badly with planes that are made out of brown paper and have a Briggs and Stratton lawnmower engine in them!

They'd be alright if they had more exciting aircraft, but tbh if I wanted to see 4 extras flying in formation I'd go watch the global stars at a much smaller event.
I understand (now) their importance to RIAT, however I just feel as if they don't quite fit in. Even if they flew something just a tiny bit more exciting their display would be so much better.

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

Skyflash wrote:
st24 wrote:They're a competent team that have always delivered a flowing display. It's just that Jordan have relied entirely on them and the Herc as their sole participation and so familiarity and all that.. When they sent F-5s and F1s and even C.101s then that was a different matter..

This.

Absolutely no complaints about either the Falcons or (particularly) the Herc, but c'mon guys, how about a couple of F-16s for the static?

I suspect their frontline assets have been rather preoccupied with what has been happening on their Northern borders for the last couple of years