RIAT 2017 wishlist

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
RIAT Air Ops

Re: RIAT 2017 wishlist

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

boff180 wrote:
RIAT Air Ops wrote:
boff180 wrote:Those saying the CAA won't allow it are jumping to conclusions and guessing.

The pilot has displayed in the U.K. this year so must either hold a UK DA or the Norwegian DA is deemed acceptable to the CAA.

As Joe says the only reason we haven't seen the Swedish this year is that the CAA won't recognise the Swedish DA as being valid and the pilots don't hold UK DA's. It has nothing to do with the aircraft.

But they did appear at Jersey Andy .........

But the CAA don't have authority in Jersey :-)

I was being a tad provocative as its quite a complex area when you start to consider Crown Dependencies etc. That said, you are technically correct in that the Office of the Director of Civil Aviation is responsible in Jersey. Not sure I'd agree with the comment regarding DAs though as there are many who don't normally hold a UK DA that gain them for a specific event if approached in due time.

harkins

Post by harkins »

So is the bottom line that; it is technically possible for the Viggen and Draken and/or the Starfighter to display at a RIAT in 2017 - but it would be an incredibly complex task and a very expensive one?

I do have a hunch that next year would be a good year to see the Swedes and/or the F-104 because with no Farnborough and the continuing disappearance of serving types that display, some more recent types of historic fast jets will be needed to keep up the RIAT standard and variety.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Look at this list (a FIA year) http://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/visiti ... d-aircraft

Then compare it to this list (a non FIA year) http://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/visiti ... ticipation

Then tell me that there's really any difference between the two, in terms of numbers and quality. Also consider what was at RIAT this year which wasn't at FIA (and Vice Versa). I don't believe one effects the other to any really noticeable degree - possibly this year the Boeing Super Hornet display? But apart from that, this notion that it must somehow be harder for DBH in non Farnborough years is bizarre.
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

harkins

Post by harkins »

That's a very fair and accurate point. FIA isn't exactly bursting with unusual and interesting new military types itself anymore. I still think with the Typhoon and F-16 dominance of European air arm's fighter types (especially the displaying ones) that the Scandinavian historic jets would be very welcome.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Haven't had time to go over the thread but i'm sure someone suggested bringing Farnborough to Fairford. Please God no. There's enough hospitality rubbish on the showground already! :hide:
Last edited by WG655 on Mon 03 Oct 2016, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Rule 2)

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Back on top...

The Royal Thai Air Force has just taken delivery of 'HS-TLC' which was previously operated by Thai Airways. The A340-500 is a beautiful jet, but even more so in RTAF colours so can we add this to the shopping list please Tom?

Image courtesy of JetPhotos.Net

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

I'd rather one of their SSJs, or a C-130...

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

The Royal Thai Air Force have a wealth of aircraft that would be fantastic participants, including a few HS 748s right?

Here's a very specific one: the USAF's freshly resurrected B-52H "Ghost Rider". It would be my star of the show and of great relevance to the theme.

Hammy

Post by Hammy »

Monsieur Dassault would have celebrated his 125th birthday in 2017, could a small static of some of his more famous products be assembled to mark the occasion? Without entering the realms of fantasy, I think this could be quite feasible and AMD themselves might be persuaded to provide an aircraft or two.

Alpha Jet - Belgium, Flying Bulls, France, Portugal, Qinetiq
Atlantic 2 - France, Italy
Flamant - F-AZFE, F-AZVG, F-AZKT, F-AZGE
Mirage III - Clin d'Aile (HB-RDF/J-2012)
Mirage 2000 - France, Greece
Rafale - France

Falcon 10 - French Navy
Falcon 20 - Norway, Spain, Belgium, French Navy, Morocco
Falcon 50 - France (AF/Navy)
Falcon 900 - Belgium, Italy, Spain, Switzerland
Falcon 2000 - Bulgaria, France, Slovenia
Falcon 7X - France, Monaco

nEUROn

Before anyone tells me, I'm aware that the Alpha Jet and Atlantique were originally Breguet products; Breguet and Dassault merged in 1971 :biggrin:
Author, visionary, dreamweaver... Plus actor.

Planespotters.net gallery
mwneedham.com

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Tracey Curtis-Taylor & her famous Stearman (F)

:whistle:

Go on....someone had to.......

:biggrin:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Hammy wrote:

You could have an Italian Atlantic (if they haven't gone by then) or a French Atlantique 2, but not an Atlantic 2 from anybody. :wink:

And no UAE Mirage 2000 or Moroccan or Libyan Mirage F1, what kind of a wishy-washy wish list is this? :grin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

capercaillie wrote:
Hammy wrote:

You could have an Italian Atlantic (if they haven't gone by then) or a French Atlantique 2, but not an Atlantic 2 from anybody. :wink:

And no UAE Mirage 2000 or Moroccan or Libyan Mirage F1, what kind of a wishy-washy wish list is this? :grin:

Exactly.

No mention of Pakistani Mirage IIIs or Vs either?

Shoddy work. :grin:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

No Mirage IV brought out of retirement either. Pfft.

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

G-CVIX wrote:The Royal Thai Air Force have a wealth of aircraft that would be fantastic participants, including a few HS 748s right?

Here's a very specific one: the USAF's freshly resurrected B-52H "Ghost Rider". It would be my star of the show and of great relevance to the theme.

748's retired a few months back.
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

john001

Post by john001 »

Brevet Cable wrote:Tracey Curtis-Taylor & her famous Stearman (F)

:whistle:

Go on....someone had to.......

:biggrin:

Be a real rarity if its solo...

john001

Post by john001 »

harkins wrote:So is the bottom line that; it is technically possible for the Viggen and Draken and/or the Starfighter to display at a RIAT in 2017 - but it would be an incredibly complex task and a very expensive one?

I do have a hunch that next year would be a good year to see the Swedes and/or the F-104 because with no Farnborough and the continuing disappearance of serving types that display, some more recent types of historic fast jets will be needed to keep up the RIAT standard and variety.

With the Saab historic aircraft being transferred to Saab itself and the company's commitment to keep them flying for 10-11 years it seems they will be used in a sort of ambassador role for the company while supporting its Gripen sales drive. Seems sensible to get a DA(s) to maximise its opportunities...

CJS

Post by CJS »

How about this :-o viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75277&p=753044#p753044 (thanks to st24)

Hammy

Post by Hammy »

Thank you to those who pointed out my post was wildly realistic. I have since taken the trouble to post a nice letter to Douglas Bader House wishing them all the best with their efforts to build a flying Dassault Balzac ready for next year's show, along with a donation of two empty bean tins, which they can probably melt down and use for the fuselage.
Author, visionary, dreamweaver... Plus actor.

Planespotters.net gallery
mwneedham.com

flight79

Post by flight79 »

what about the NASA ER-2 display as it the usaf birthday :shock:

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

The new livery on the Italian Tornado has just shot that aircraft to the top of the list for me!

Slappywag

Post by Slappywag »

flight79 wrote:what about the NASA ER-2 display as it the USAF birthday :shock:

Obvious reason made more obvious for you.

flight79

Post by flight79 »

in what way Slappywag ?

CJS

Post by CJS »

NASA isn't the USAF. Any more than the US Navy is. Bit like suggesting the Blue Angels should be there to mark a USAF anniversary.

I think that's what they're saying anyway. You spelled it right so it's not that. ;-)

Slappywag

Post by Slappywag »

CJS wrote:NASA isn't the USAF. Any more than the US Navy is. Bit like suggesting the Blue Angels should be there to mark a USAF anniversary.

I think that's what they're saying anyway. You spelled it right so it's not that. ;-)

Indeed; the most layman of multiple reasons.

Rowter

Post by Rowter »

If theres any still air worthy and the authorities allow it, due to next year being a special one a SR71 flying.