Fairford fireball chopper

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
SPLAT

Fairford fireball chopper

Post by SPLAT »

Is this the first year that there as been no "fireball" helicopter? I have always remembered the yellow speaking at the back of a lot of photos , but didn't even see a spare chopper in the parking area either :dunno:

micktruan

Re: Fairford fireball chopper

Post by micktruan »

Fireball was in the form of an ambulance car parked at 'Charlie North' next to the Combines.

Mick

st24

Post by st24 »

micktruan wrote:Fireball was in the form of an ambulance car parked at 'Charlie North' next to the Combines.

Mick

No chopper and combine harvesters? Wow those cuts are really kicking in...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

What's a "yellow speaking"?

:snack:

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

[quote="Big Eric"]What's a "yellow speaking"?

I think he means Sea King[RAF variant,which is out of service now] :sad: :sad:

:smile: :smile: :smile:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Wasn't required this year as all danger had been averted, with the sterile zone north of the airfield. :whistle: Pictures were better from FRIAT though. :yahoo:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

pb643

Post by pb643 »

micktruan wrote:Fireball was in the form of an ambulance car parked at 'Charlie North' next to the Combines.

Mick

Wasn't the Sea King tasked with transporting firefighting equipment and personel to the scene of an incident? I can't imagine your average Skoda Octava being quite as flexible? :smile:

On a related topic, the incident response columns that occasionally move around the airfield, used to consist of police, fire and ambulance vehicles of various types with a few military trucks tagged on the back. This year they seemed to consist of a column of Hertz (other hire companies are available) mini buses and a pizza delivery outrider or two. Am I missing something?

Finally, am I tye only person to miss the emergency vehicle drive by, used to be quite a sight. :oops:

Phil

micktruan

Post by micktruan »

Phil,

You are correct concerning the role of 'Fireball', slightly above my pay grade but I would imagine that now the Seaking has been retired, it was deemed not a requirement, let's face it if a airlift capability is needed it should'nt be to difficult to source a helicopter at an airshow.

For some years now the 'Mobile Respose Column ' vehicles have been sourced from rental companies and consist of volunteers from the police service, ambulance service, event personnel and military personnel ,the motorcycle outriders are there to provide ease of passage for the column as it runs as a single unit.

The emergency service drive by was stopped because it was to difficult to organise and it was felt show attendees were not that interested in a column of rag tag vehicles racing up the runway, potentially blocking the runway to landing aircraft.

Hope this helps.
Regards Mick
Last edited by micktruan on Mon 25 Jul 2016, 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Thanks Mick.