Viewing village/grandstand RIAT 2017

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
TAN

Viewing village/grandstand RIAT 2017

Post by TAN »

Hi all. Just after opinions on this grandstand,although i will probably go for the table/chair option,if i decide to do it next year.
I used to have the Mach 2 package,but the past couple of years,i haven't bothered with any of the grandstands.
Will probably do Friday-Sunday next year also.The viewing village looked nice and relaxed from the outside,but not a lot of
photographers from what i could make out.
Thanks in advance.

Tan.

edhunter

Re: Viewing village/grandstand RIAT 2017

Post by edhunter »

I use the viewing village and I find it the perfect place for taking photos

Maccyd

Post by Maccyd »

For the past couple of years I've used the Grandstand on the Saturday and generally wandered on the Friday and Sunday. This gave a great variety of options for photos. Plenty of togs in the Grandstand, so you certainly wouldn't look out of place.

mbo570

Post by mbo570 »

Hi all. I have a viewing village garden seat for the Saturday. Apart from the e-ticket, will the wristband pass, mentioned in the official site, be given on the day or will it be mailed?

Thanks,
Mario

sjc101

Post by sjc101 »

mbo570 wrote:Hi all. I have a viewing village garden seat for the Saturday. Apart from the e-ticket, will the wristband pass, mentioned in the official site, be given on the day or will it be mailed?

Thanks,
Mario

I do the viewing village every year, The wristbands get posted to your address nearer the time. Last year I think I got them in may.

mbo570

Post by mbo570 »

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Offbreed

Post by Offbreed »

It's a shame to see plastic garden seats replacing the deckchairs in enclosures. After a long drive to a airshow with backache setting in, it was nice being able to stretch out in a deckchair.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Not to mention that plastic chairs aren't the best thing to sit on in hot weather ( assuming we get hot weather, that is :lol: )
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

For those who have done the public grandstand in Viewing Village, what is the view of take off and landing's like? Is it obstructed by the FRIAT grandstand further down the runway, as it looks like most years take off is from 27.

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

jasonT1981 wrote:For those who have done the public grandstand in Viewing Village, what is the view of take off and landing's like? Is it obstructed by the FRIAT grandstand further down the runway, as it looks like most years take off is from 27.

You can see them line up ok then when they start rolling your view is briefly blocked by the FRIAT stand so it is obstructed but I found a lot of displays don't actually get up until they are in view again, same goes for landing, here is an example I took in 2015 from the top of the grandstand, you can see the FRIAT grandstand just off to the right...

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

thats good, thanks :) Great shot by the way!

CJS

Post by CJS »

jasonT1981 wrote:For those who have done the public grandstand in Viewing Village, what is the view of take off and landing's like? Is it obstructed by the FRIAT grandstand further down the runway, as it looks like most years take off is from 27.

Don't think I've ever seen take off be from the other end. I can recall XH558 arriving the other way round a few years ago (2012?) on the Friday, but nothing else in my memory?
You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

GazBOH

Post by GazBOH »

Are the grandstand seats allocated on the day?

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

It seems so, yes.

GazBOH

Post by GazBOH »

Resurrecting an old thread...

I've booked Friday grandstand tickets (I was worried that the view to the east would be too obstructed - nice shot Andy that's a reassuring view).

Was it busy in the grandstand last year on the Friday? I'd love to bag a top row seat