Picture sales on Amazon and poster request

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
G-CVIX

Picture sales on Amazon and poster request

Post by G-CVIX »

Hi all, whilst searching for some Wilf Hardy era posters I stumbled across this user on Amazon selling fairly generic photos from recent RIATs for hefty prices. Am I right in thinking this is against the terms of the ticket?

Framed Print of Royal International Air Tattoo https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IB0S7J6/ ... WybGC9C1EN

Secondly can anyone link me to somewhere I can buy some prints of past air tattoo posters (mostly Wilf Hardy era)?

capercaillie

Re: Picture sales on Amazon and poster request

Post by capercaillie »

Nice that for £100. :up:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

The Ticket Holder shall not without the Organisers' prior written consent sell, license, or otherwise exploit, or attempt to exploit, any material whether written or in the form of digital or photographic film, sound, video or other recording or computer software obtained or made at the Showground or within the Park & View areas.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

I can't think they've actually got a license to sell that stuff, surely not. I've seen this stuff on eBay before, people selling A4 prints for a couple of quid, but this is the first time I've seen anything sold through Amazon that is at least masquerading as a proper company.

I wonder if there is anything governing photos taken off base?

I have considered approaching RIAT in the past to ask if I could sell prints with all proceeds after cost going to RAFCT but I've never really looked into it properly, I don't have the time, nor do I consider 99% of my shots worth selling.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

capercaillie wrote:Nice that for £100. :up:

A touch of sarcasm there I'd say. :lmao:

john001

Post by john001 »

Seems it is a PA image. I would assume they have purchased the right to use the image from PA. In turn PA are probably at the press event where their images would be expected to be used. Only RIAT marketing know the answer!!!

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

For that price I'd want a bit more prop blur.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Prop blur is so passé, the 'frozen prop' look is the in thing now ...... after all, how else would the likes of Getty Images make so much money supplying such images to the media....
:lol:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Found plenty of Wilf Hardy stuff on art.com but sadly I couldn't see any full IAT posters. I'll be keeping an eye on eBay. I wonder if RIAT still owns the rights to reproduce the images? Would surely be a nice item to sell with a cracking mark up.

It is fun to browse Amazon. Here's another of theirs:

Framed Print of Royal International Air Tattoo https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KN3CIDU/ ... WybVWCJZ1A

Apache is closing in on that whopping great dust spot.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

G-CVIX wrote: Apache is closing in on that whopping great dust spot.

:lmao:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

RiatMarketing

Post by RiatMarketing »

Our view is that as long as photographers do not exploit the Air Tattoo brand (photos featuring the RIAT logo/official artwork or where the Air Tattoo is the focus rather than the aircraft), use images that damage the brand or compete with the Air Tattoo’s commercial activities (RIAT DVD/T-shirts/mugs etc) then we would be unlikely to take any action.

The rules in our Ts&Cs are there to protect us if we felt we needed to take action because either our brand/reputation or our commercial activities were being compromised.

Each year a number of photographers contact us to ask if they can sell their aircraft photos and we give our permission caveated with the above.

Many thousands of photos are taken at the Air Tattoo and they are used in many ways around the world each year.

We would not wish to spoilt people’s enjoyment of taking photos at RIAT nor would we wish to stop an individual selling an aircraft image on a modest scale but if anyone’s in any doubt, our advice would be to get in contact with us beforehand by emailing press.man1@rafcte.com.

Anyone who does make money from selling aircraft images at the Air Tattoo is welcome to make a donation to the RAF Charitable Trust here.
Air Tattoo Marketing Team

Dan213

Post by Dan213 »

RiatMarketing wrote:Our view is that as long as photographers do not exploit the Air Tattoo brand (photos featuring the RIAT logo/official artwork or where the Air Tattoo is the focus rather than the aircraft), use images that damage the brand or compete with the Air Tattoo’s commercial activities (RIAT DVD/T-shirts/mugs etc) then we would be unlikely to take any action.

The rules in our Ts&Cs are there to protect us if we felt we needed to take action because either our brand/reputation or our commercial activities were being compromised.

Each year a number of photographers contact us to ask if they can sell their aircraft photos and we give our permission caveated with the above.

Many thousands of photos are taken at the Air Tattoo and they are used in many ways around the world each year.

We would not wish to spoilt people’s enjoyment of taking photos at RIAT nor would we wish to stop an individual selling an aircraft image on a modest scale but if anyone’s in any doubt, our advice would be to get in contact with us beforehand by emailing press.man1@rafcte.com.

Anyone who does make money from selling aircraft images at the Air Tattoo is welcome to make a donation to the RAF Charitable Trust here.

The infamous "nutters" group appear to have been selling merchandise for a number of years now. I'm intrigued, given that the focus of their merchandise is RIAT, whether or not this breaches the T&Cs. Pretty sure they were selling, flags, mugs the lot last year

https://www.redbubble.com/shop/Riat+nutter
Last edited by Dan213 on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Nah those shirts just identify people to avoid during the show :grin:

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

boff180 wrote:Nah those shirts just identify people to avoid during the show :grin:

:grin:

stickshaker

Post by stickshaker »

Are these pictures definitely taken from within the airfield?

In any event, I no longer trust Amazon always to be selling legitimate items - eg http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/thief ... -njlscx5zr

DanH

Post by DanH »

stickshaker wrote:Are these pictures definitely taken from within the airfield?

According to the listing they were taken at RAF Fairford in Wiltshire so read what you will from that. :cuppa:

Might explain the poor image quality if they were taken from a different county. :grin:
Always seeking to lower the tone...

https://danhphotography.picfair.com/