How do you take your RIAT?

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow

How are you planning to enjoy RIAT in 2017?

Staff/volunteer
2%
Staff/volunteer
2%
Air/groundcrew
1%
Air/groundcrew
1%
Mach3
12%
Mach3
12%
Mach2
4%
Mach2
4%
Mach1
No votes
Mach1
No votes
Individual show day only
15%
Individual show day only
15%
Show day +P&V dep/arr
9%
Show day +P&V dep/arr
9%
Show day +outside the fence
2%
Show day +outside the fence
2%
Outside the fence only
0%
Outside the fence only
0%
P&V dep/arr only
1%
P&V dep/arr only
1%
Trade stall / catering etc
No votes
Trade stall / catering etc
No votes
Other
4%
Other
4%

Total votes: 282

Paul R

Re: How do you take your RIAT?

Post by Paul R »

Finish work 5 am Saturday morning, home,shower , out the door about 6ish. One day only for me. First one for a fair few years though

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Just Monday for me. Not a photographer, just want the numbers, so just want to see each aircraft. Not been on a show day for 10 years+.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Rob this is a genuine question - do you enjoy seeing them fly and looking at them or is it literally a number collecting hobby?
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

CJS wrote:Rob this is a genuine question - do you enjoy seeing them fly and looking at them or is it literally a number collecting hobby?

There are certain aircraft I like to see fly, sadly pretty much all of them are retired. I am interested in the aircraft them selves, the history, units etc but not bothered if I see them fly or not. Have left Mildenhall shows before the flying has even started to go to other airfields! I don't expect everybody to understand this, just as I don't understand the photography purists. So Monday at RIAT suits me perfectly, no walking miles, I like the challenge of reading off everything as it departs, and its cheaper. It is not the be all of my year either, just another day out spotting.

alpha586

Post by alpha586 »

Meet a very good friend Wednesday at the end of the runway (outside base) same Thursday.Showground Friday, maybe grandstand not decided yet and crowdline Saturday not sure what I'm doing Sunday yet. End of the runway Monday to feel the power of the B1. :rock:
Lo que volará volará whatever will fly will fly!!

captainfurious

Post by captainfurious »

22nd RIAT but after years of change a sound routine is set over the last few years. Thursday at Totterdown and then evening ride around the site at local pubs. Friday at end of the runway and Tottetdown. Saturday in the show in our normal spot after queuing since 6am and Totterdown again Sunday. The routine is in the diary each year for eternity. Cannot wait.

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

This should be my second year but having had the car blow up last year this is actually my first. Travelling down Thursday pm and camping near Cirencester for the weekend. Rustic, but a fraction of the price of the recognised sites.
Airfield Fri sat and sun and off work the following week so likely to hang about for departures too -providing the weather is half decent. :-)

mavvymoo

Post by mavvymoo »

My now traditional 400 mile 22hr marathon round-trip for the Saturday show - although for the first time I will have another driver with me so maybe not quite such a chore on the road.
Famed for appearing to put my foot in it, read my post with the voice of Stewie Griffin if it offended you first time