arrivals / departures

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
speedbird2639

Re: arrivals / departures

Post by speedbird2639 »

In the current PC namby pamby non platforming snowflake world are you even allowed to shout at kids?

CJS

Post by CJS »

Well just so we're clear I was joking. That said, we are of course allowed to raise our voices if we see fit, however it rarely has the desired effect unless you do it extremely sparingly. I know "shouty" teachers who have nowhere to go when they do need to get a bit loud!

I think in 15 years I've probably shouted 5 or 6 times due to behaviour issues and a handful more to prevent a child getting hurt. It's much more effective when you don't normally do it!
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

ShutterPlane

Post by ShutterPlane »

I've never attended any of the arrival days. As a keen aviation enthusiast and photography lover, are these days well worth attending? I get a buzz from taking cracking shots of some of the action, so wondering if it's something I should be doing? Thanks.
Collecting Avometers

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

@ShutterPlane - plus points you get to see the planes which will be static only display actually flying - most of the smaller planes often do a missed approach for the cameras. You will probably need to get there very early though on the Wednesday - when I went on Wednesday and got there reasonably early I was surprised how many planes were already landed and parked up on the static so unless you are staying locally and can go to the airfield every day its no guarantee you will see everything. The P&V is almost completely 'spotters' so you can have a chat with like minded people if you want.

Minus points - changes in circumstances for air forces with the reduction in planes/ types etc means attendance is way down on what it was years ago which means there is less to see arriving so there tends to be long periods with nothing happening. Avoid any day where a Royal visit is mentioned. The planes don't fly when the Royals are on site (for 'security reasons') - I was there the year Princess Anne visited and it basically meant nothing happened for the entire middle third of the day.

Due to all the hanging about waiting for stuff to happen the most important element is the weather - if its nice and sunny then its a nice day out; if its a bit cool and cloudy its a bit 'meh' and if its worse than that its just a bit of an uncomfortable chore.

Or you could just save your money and follow Andy's thread on this site as he will post a picture of pretty much everything that arrives.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

speedbird2639 wrote:Or you could just save your money and follow Andy's thread on this site as he will post a picture of pretty much everything that arrives.
If he solved the problems he experiences about changes in hard/software and connections he had a thread about, which I can't find at the moment.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Yes
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

miladyjillian

Post by miladyjillian »

Hello, Any help would be appreciated. Where would be the best place to view the B1 coming in? When does Riat post when the planes are arriving for static? Thanks

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

speedbird2639 wrote:In the current PC namby pamby non platforming snowflake world are you even allowed to shout at kids?

God almighty you do have a chip on your shoulder don't you?

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

miladyjillian wrote:Hello, Any help would be appreciated. Where would be the best place to view the B1 coming in? When does RIAT post when the planes are arriving for static? Thanks

Park and View. They don't. It will be a case of Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday. Americans will most likely be on Wednesday. In the past they have let us know if anything is due in on Tuesday.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Park and view East is normally your best bet s the prevailing wind means they will be landing from right to left assuming you are in the P&V and facing North. As far as I'm aware RIAT don't publish times for arrivals as they just tend to get there when they get there. My guess would be you would want to be there first thing Wednesday but people have commented that things have arrived unofficially on the Tuesday in the past. A better bet might be to go to departures on the Monday but again there is no guarantee as the plane may have gone 'tech' over the w/e and thus not depart Monday etc.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnER7Hkv8iA[/youtube] This is a (shakey) video of a RIAT B-1b take off to give you some impression but it doesn't really convey how thunderously loud it is - probably my favourite plane for take offs.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

G-CVIX wrote:
speedbird2639 wrote:In the current PC namby pamby non platforming snowflake world are you even allowed to shout at kids?

Sorry I missed off 'molly coddled', 'safe space' and 'cultural appropriation'.

C- must do better

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

speedbird2639 wrote:
G-CVIX wrote:

Sorry I missed off 'molly coddled', 'safe space' and 'cultural appropriation'.

C- must do better

Crikey... and breathe, man! Calm down, and try to keep on topic.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

As others have posted, DBH don't publicise either the day or the time aircraft are due to arrive.
There is, however, something of an unofficial rumour-mill if you're already there ( not much use if you're not, though ) and some forums/newsgroups may give a heads-up when aircraft are en-route.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

miladyjillian

Post by miladyjillian »

Thanks for the information on park and view for B1. Saw it at Riat a few years ago, was really toned down compared to the show in Fort lauderdale. My favourite plane.