Rhymes Farm

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
AARDVARK

Rhymes Farm

Post by AARDVARK »

Anyone heard if it's closed again this year?

mikek

Re: Rhymes Farm

Post by mikek »

I'm not sure. What did they say when you asked them?
Handsomest UKAR member.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Given they were 'asked' to not open last year and nothing significant has changed in the last 12 months I can't see why they would suddenly be able to open. But if you wanted to see the show you could always buy a ticket and come into the showground with the rest of us.

tu16

Post by tu16 »

I would be amazed if Rhymes ever reopened.

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

They were told last year that if they did open,all access roads would be closed so no vehicles would be able to get to it anyway.They were offered another field last year on the South side because I saw signposts giving directions to this campsite and they had Rhymes Farm written on the back.I would imagine things will be the same for this year.There's always Furzey Hill if anyone is stuck provided you have plenty of money.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

speedbird2639 wrote:Given they were 'asked' to not open last year and nothing significant has changed in the last 12 months I can't see why they would suddenly be able to open. But if you wanted to see the show you could always buy a ticket and come into the showground with the rest of us.

It out stands me the amount of ,basically ,nastiness there is on the forum ...
For the record I have been a paid up FRIAT supporter for the past 10yrs,if that's ok with you !!
I ask a simple question ,it maybe a surprise to you but I actually enjoyed camping there ASWELL AS ATTENDING the show..
People get so defensive and precious if you are an "un PC" question !

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

mikek wrote:I'm not sure. What did they say when you asked them?

No idea,that's why I put a post up here!

2E0TVR

Post by 2E0TVR »

I have heard a rumour that Rhymes Farm may be open for departures only, on the Monday. Can anyone confirm this or have contact details for Rhymes. Thanks.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Slightly unrelated.....
Towards the end of June last year, the Council published a list of road closures which would be in effect around the RIAT weekend.
Nothing on their website ( http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/roads-parking-and-rights-of-way/ ) yet, but it may be worth keeping an eye out for them...last year, Rhymes Barn Farm Lane was closed from Monday 4th July until Tuesday 12th July.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

2E0TVR

Post by 2E0TVR »

Brevet Cable wrote:Slightly unrelated.....
Towards the end of June last year, the Council published a list of road closures which would be in effect around the RIAT weekend.
Nothing on their website ( http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/roads-parking-and-rights-of-way/ ) yet, but it may be worth keeping an eye out for them...last year, Rhymes Barn Farm Lane was closed from Monday 4th July until Tuesday 12th July.

Thanks for that Brevet. Interesting that they closed the roads until after departures. Surely departures is the same as any other operational air base and not an air show. Cheers.

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

I have also heard this open for Monday departures only rumour.The other rumour is, it's opening back up(for camping only not park and view) in 2018 but I can't see that happening.The departures rumour may well be possible though.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

You can also throw in the rumour which has been posted on other forums, namely that they agreed to close for 3 years ( so 2019 would be the first year they reopen )
아직도 숨어있다

2E0TVR

Post by 2E0TVR »

Brevet Cable wrote:You can also throw in the rumour which has been posted on other forums, namely that they agreed to close for 3 years ( so 2019 would be the first year they reopen )

But would the road be open to allow access. I doubt it very much :smile:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Depends whether or not DBH ( presumably ) request it's closure, and if so would it be for the full week or just the show days ?
( And after all, as they should have seen last year, it didn't stop loads of people gathering in the fields the other side of the fenceline )
아직도 숨어있다

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

According to the rumour,the roads will only be closed on the show days hence no park and view.If you were already inside the campsite before the show days then you could presumably watch the show from your tent/campervan etc but the old park and view field would still be out of bounds.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

TYPHOON3 wrote:According to the rumour,the roads will only be closed on the show days hence no park and view.If you were already inside the campsite before the show days then you could presumably watch the show from your tent/campervan etc but the old park and view field would still be out of bounds.
IF it will ever reopen for camping, I expect a number of air cadets being tasked to kick everybody out of Rhymes a decent time before the flying starts. Departures from there? The sun will ruin it.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

2E0TVR

Post by 2E0TVR »

aviodromefriend wrote:Departures from there? The sun will ruin it.

What sun? It's RIAT, grey skies and grey planes :smile:

I have done P&V West and Rhymes Farm. The view from Rhymes was better. I'm not interested in getting that must have take off shot and the mass crowds put me off P&V East.

I expect those at Rhymes last year were family, friends and workers from the farm. You can close roads but you cannot stop people accessing their own private property on an air show day.

I guess we will have to wait and see what happens. I have my ticket for P&V West, so I shall be watching from there if no where else :smile:

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

2E0TVR wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:You can also throw in the rumour which has been posted on other forums, namely that they agreed to close for 3 years ( so 2019 would be the first year they reopen )

But would the road be open to allow access. I doubt it very much :smile:

Surley the roads are not closed 24/7 in order to allow public access?

Get into Ryhmes there before 6am, the roads can shut an hour or so before the show., I would seriously think of going back again then to the show for just view from Rhymes. The flying is too distant now and the crowd line space is too condensed unless you pony up another few quid for a Fancy chair. . Fingers crossed it will happen but I doubt it.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Last years closure notice read:

Part or all of the following Roads will be subject to a Temporary Closure between the 4th July 2016 and the 12th July 2016.

Road Number 3/173 Fairford Road
Road Number 41052 Rhymes Barn Farm Lane
Road Number 41051 Rhymes Barn Farm Lane

As you can see it doesn't make any mention of times which would seem to indicate it ran from 00:00 on the 4th to 23:59 on the 12th.

On a slightly related note given the nature of the kit the USAF has coming through Fairford and the size of the budgets they spend there (wasn't the refit when we had to decamp to Cottesmore in the billions?) I'm surprised they haven't negotiated to buy a strip of land off the adjacent farms all the way round the base and planted it with dense conifers to provide so level of screening of the actions on the base.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Roads closed 24/7 ?
They managed to do that for the Champions League finals at Cardiff a couple of weeks ago -- no vehicular access at all. with pedestrian access for residents ( who had to prove ID ) only for some days & match ticket-holders ( who had to show their tickets ) on the match-days.
A handful of roads in a sparsely populated are a walk in the park by comparison.

I'm surprised they haven't negotiated to buy a strip of land off the adjacent farms all the way round the base and planted it with dense conifers to provide so level of screening of the actions on the base.

They had plenty of people in the 'naughty field' attempting to hide under the bushes & trees which are already there ( until they realised nobody was going to bother moving them on ) so imagine what they'd do with some proper woodlands to hide in. :lol:
아직도 숨어있다

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

They had plenty of people in the 'naughty field' attempting to hide under the bushes & trees which are already there

Yes - but of the USAF bought the land they would put their standard chainlink fence on the outside of the area so there would be any access and the density of the woods would mean the naughty fields adjacent to the taxiway would be no longer viable. They could still use the ones further back but they would likely be beyond the Northern limit of the flying zone anyway.