RIAT garden vs grandstand seats

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
sonicJet

RIAT garden vs grandstand seats

Post by sonicJet »

Hi Guys

I will be going to RIAT. I'm not into photography but I do love aircraft so Im considering going for the upgraded grandstand or garden seats.

Please kindly answer:

1) Are these seats gonna make a difference, I mean is the extra £32 going to be worth it for the closer view? As Im into aeroplanes I imagine it will.

2) Would it be better to go for the garden seats or the grandstand seats? As I say I wont be taking photos but I just want to get a good show, especially want to see the aircarfts. I will be taking my two boys(6 and 11). Whats the main difference between the two? I'd imagine grandstand is better since u get a higher view?

Please reply asap as the tickets might run out.

Thanks

speedbird2639

Re: RIAT garden vs grandstand seats

Post by speedbird2639 »

Here is a map of the showground http://www.airtattoo.com/assets/pages/00002768/2017%20air%20tattoo%20showground%20map%20saturday%20sunday%20final%20no%20key.pdf which isn't a massive help if you've not been before as they don't put a key on the map to tell you what the letters refer to!

http://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/visiting/airshow-tickets ticket-wise its going to cost as kids above 5yo have to pay the full adult price of the upgrade.

Viewing: obviously in the grandstands you have the facility to see over the crowd for take offs and landings but if you are not massively into photos then that might not be of interest to you. If you get as close to crowd centre as you can on the lawn area then you will enjoy a good view of the show - there are benefits to some of the upgrades such as left luggage areas to drop off your bags etc - I'm sure someone from the 'prawn sandwich brigade' will be able to bring you up to speed on all those options.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

If you're going on the Saturday you're stuffed, as all but one of the enclosures are sold out ( the exception being the Lightning Pavilion at £516 ! )
Sunday ones are still available.
On the map '2639' posted, unless things have changed for this year --
Blue -- A=Viewing Village ; C=Disabled Enclosure ; D=FRIAT ; E=First Class Lounge ; K=Patron's & Lightning Pavilions
Red -- D=Aviation Club ; G=Cotswold Club ; H=Pims Flight Deck.

Given the age of your children, if you do opt for an enclosure I'd have thought the garden seats would be a better option, because if/when they get bored or fidgety it's easier for them to get up and have a wander ( it is, after all, a 7.5 hour display & most people - including adults - won't sit still for that long )

As '2639' posted, though, you can still get a very good view from the crowdline outside the enclosures.
With the restriction on the number of tickets available for each day, even the most popular parts of the crowdline aren't that packed.....yes, you won't usually get to the front of the crowdline unless you venture further out into the Green/Red Zones, but even from about 20-30m back you'll get a good view, the only thing you may miss out on is when the aircraft are on the runway.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

CJS

Post by CJS »

I have a grandstand seat this year and have done so on one other occasion in the last 11 years (I should add that on neither occasion have I actually paid for it!) and I did find it good because it offers a better view of the displays and also somewhere to sit if, like me, you don't lug a chair or rug around all day (or if the ground is wet).

I also remember the FRIAT stand getting 'in the way' of takeoffs (curse you FRIAT, curse you :mad: :wink: ) but overall I was glad to have the seat. I also don't remember it being busy at all, and in fact I sat way up at the top for most of the display, which did give much better views IMHO.

That said, I don't think I'd bother paying for it myself! :grin:
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"