FRIAT - Charging camera batteries

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
henk99

FRIAT - Charging camera batteries

Post by henk99 »

Hi all,

For the first time since coming to RIAT, I will be camping this year. The campsite I will be staying at, doesn't have electrical hookups, so I'm a bit worried about having enough battery power for the 3 days I will be attending. I do have FRIAT Mach2 tickets, so I was wondering if there is any facility in the enclosure to charge your camera batteries? Or is there any other way on the showground?

I have been at festivals where they had lockers with power outlets to charge e.g. your phone.

Another option of course, is to buy more batteries, but they don't come cheap so I thought to ask here first.
| Erlanger Bergkirchweih | RIAT 2023 | Belgian Airforce Days 2023 | Frysian Flag 2023

BMrider

Re: FRIAT - Charging camera batteries

Post by BMrider »

What campsite are you on?

henk99

Post by henk99 »

I'm in Lechlade (Bridge House)
| Erlanger Bergkirchweih | RIAT 2023 | Belgian Airforce Days 2023 | Frysian Flag 2023

alpha586

Post by alpha586 »

I used to stay there for several years some people use the power socket in the toilets or if you speak nicely to the lady that runs the site she may be able to charge them in the house. Alternatively you could speak nicely to some of the guys who have electric hook ups (on the left hand side as you go I to the site and ask them if you could charge your batteries. How many batteries do you have and what camera are you using?
Lo que volará volará whatever will fly will fly!!

henk99

Post by henk99 »

I have 2 camera's, a Canon 7Dmk2 and a 5dMK3. In my experience, one battery per camera, per day is normal. Sometimes I need a new battery at the end of the day. I have 5 similar batteries, so one charge of 2 batteries should do the trick I think. That should take me from Saturday to monday.

If there are some electrical hookups there, then I can try to persuade someone to charge them.

Canon

Post by Canon »

You can get usb chargers for some camera batteries. I have one for my 80D (which I think has the same bettery as the 7Dmkii?). Then you just need to get a battery bank (or two), and you're sorted. They take slightly longer to charge than via mains electricity, but leave them on overnight and they should be done by the morning.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01B4DM6Z8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498220345&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=7d+mark+ii+battery&psc=1
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 70-300mm L
Sigma 18-300mm C

alpha586

Post by alpha586 »

Some very nice kit there! My friend is staying on the site so I will be popping in to charge some batteries and my laptop. It's a very friendly site and and great for getting to the show we used to leave about 7.30 - 8ish and normally very quick into the show. The chippy in Lechlade is excellent as well! :lol:
Lo que volará volará whatever will fly will fly!!

BMrider

Post by BMrider »

henk99 wrote:I'm in Lechlade (Bridge House)

Ok, I stay on the "Second Chance Campsite" and know how to get some power to charge batteries, failing that I have an 240v inverter in the car which will run the laptop (No internal batteries) and charge the camera batteries, need to watch the car's battery level though.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Buy a power inverter for your car, I took one last year & it was a godsend, it powered my laptop, charged both my batteries and my phone
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

henk99

Post by henk99 »

Do you need to leave your car on for that? As that doesn't sound too convenient at a campsite :biggrin:

The USB charger sounds good too. A handy thing to have in any case. :up:

BMrider

Post by BMrider »

henk99 wrote:Do you need to leave your car on for that? As that doesn't sound too convenient at a campsite :biggrin:

The USB charger sounds good too. A handy thing to have in any case. :up:

You need to be aware that you could flatten your car battery using an inverter for extended periods, it's not a problem to leave it connected with engine idling for a while (Several were last year, don't have to run it for whole charge period) or even whilst driving to the pub for a evening meal!

Takes about an hour to charge my Nikon batteries, would idle the car for 1/2 that just to make sure the car batteries ok

I also take a 12v leisure battery freestanding which is good to run invertor for a couple of charges

I start RIAT with 3 fully charged batteries for my Nikon D300

MC hammer

Post by MC hammer »

If you are driving to a pub for your evening meal, take your battery(ies) and charger with you and find a plug socket near where you are sitting. A bit cheeky I know but I've seen it done openly plenty of times with mobile phones and other technology in pubs.
Otherwise ask nicely when you order your meal, after all you are spending your hard earned at the establishment. I've done it at the place in Fairford town where I eat, both discreetly and having asked and had no problems with just one device. Ditto for when I spend a few days at Mildenhall, I know exactly which tables at the restaurant have a socket underneath!

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

A small invertor is one of the best things if you have a car, think Aldi sell one for littlemoney. 300watt model i purchased from Aldi 5 or 6 years ago is still working well.

BMrider

Post by BMrider »

vulcan558 wrote:A small invertor is one of the best things if you have a car, think Aldi sell one for littlemoney. 300watt model i purchased from Aldi 5 or 6 years ago is still working well.

Yep, thats where I got mine £23.00 .... https://www.aldi.co.uk/auto-xs-300w-inv ... 2132908100

trebleone
UKAR Supporter

Post by trebleone »

Leisure battery, solar panel and a 12v camera battery charger (search amazon) works for me - the solar tops-up the leisure battery during the day and the leisure battery via 12v charger charges the camera battery overnight.

MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

An offer for you: I'm in FRIAT and use the same batteries as you. I'm staying a few miles away at a farm and am quite willing to take your batteries away at the end of the day, charge them and return them to you at FRIAT next morning.

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

MingtheMerciless wrote:An offer for you: I'm in FRIAT and use the same batteries as you. I'm staying a few miles away at a farm and am quite willing to take your batteries away at the end of the day, charge them and return them to you at FRIAT next morning.

What a nice, thoughtful gesture :clap:
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

henk99

Post by henk99 »

MingtheMerciless wrote:An offer for you: I'm in FRIAT and use the same batteries as you. I'm staying a few miles away at a farm and am quite willing to take your batteries away at the end of the day, charge them and return them to you at FRIAT next morning.

That's awesome! A very nice gesture indeed :love:

I have bought an invertor for my car over the weekend, so hopefully that does the trick as so many in here suggested. If not, then I will surely take you up on your offer!

Again, a very nice gesture!

Maccyd

Post by Maccyd »

henk99 wrote:

That's awesome! A very nice gesture indeed :love:

I have bought an invertor for my car over the weekend, so hopefully that does the trick as so many in here suggested. If not, then I will surely take you up on your offer!

Again, a very nice gesture!

Ming is certainly not merciless!. Great to see this spirit of looking out for fellow tog's on the forum, well done that man!

CJS

Post by CJS »

He doesn't say how much money he wants for doing mind :-P ;-)

Just kidding (obvs!)
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"