RIAT 2017 DVD

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
AARDVARK

Re: RIAT 2017 DVD

Post by AARDVARK »

The only gripe was they only showed 1 U2 take/off landing rather than the mutiple ones that happened thru out the week and some of the camera work,especially close up was a bit squiffy at times,it was either close up or panned right out ,nothing in between which probably would have been the best option ,I don’t know if this modern camera technology is a bit more clunky to use, shall we say but looking back at some of their older DVDs from the 90s it seemed to be smoother and the panning was better but then what do I know! all in all a well produced DVD and even better with the collectors edition .

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

robertp wrote:Where’s the Spanish F-18 on the main programme. Can’t find it anywhere

Unbelievably wasn’t on the dvd ,why omit this being it was the only F18 at the show?

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

AARDVARK wrote:
robertp wrote:Where’s the Spanish F-18 on the main programme. Can’t find it anywhere

Unbelievably wasn’t on the dvd ,why omit this being it was the only F-18 at the show?

And a blindingly spectacular display, which I was very much looking forward to seeing again. I presume it was omitted for a reason, but the production as a whole lacks any sort of narrative of the complete event. And true to form, it still has totally inappropriate cutaways to in cockpit footage at completely the wrong moment. At its worst during the A400M segment where neither the bunt nor the wingover - both notable pieces of display flying - are shown as they're designed to be seen. You simply watch the crew pulling faces instead.

Some of the footage is spectacular and well shot, but as a record of the entire event, for history's sake, it is somewhat lacking.

Still can't not have it though!

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Couldn’t agree more ,in fact I watched the 2012 dvd the other day and the cameraship was far superior to that of 2017 in my opinion.
I don’t know what it is with bloody dvds but they always leave out / don’t film the best sequences!

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

My wife ordered my DVD for chrismtmas but it is still yet to arrive. Contacted them last week and they shipped me out another copy. Going to show one of my friends from over here that's an airshow affecianado, so can't wait for it to get here.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
AARDVARK wrote:

Unbelievably wasn’t on the dvd ,why omit this being it was the only F-18 at the show?

And a blindingly spectacular display, which I was very much looking forward to seeing again. I presume it was omitted for a reason, but the production as a whole lacks any sort of narrative of the complete event. And true to form, it still has totally inappropriate cutaways to in cockpit footage at completely the wrong moment. At its worst during the A400M segment where neither the bunt nor the wingover - both notable pieces of display flying - are shown as they're designed to be seen. You simply watch the crew pulling faces instead.

Some of the footage is spectacular and well shot, but as a record of the entire event, for history's sake, it is somewhat lacking.

Still can't not have it though!

Very disappointed to see that the Spanish Hornet was missing. Probably my favourite display of the weekend. I came here looking for answers, hoping it was tucked away on the extra dvd somewhere, but alas.

It's enjoyable and as has been said, I have to buy it every year.

My personal opinion is that the slow motion and dubstep style of video has had its day, and I would much rather see a production more akin to the traditional documentary style.

Fortunately, good videos are out there of the Spanish Hornet, but still a shame for it to be omitted nonetheless.

https://youtu.be/h7Z-fet0_ok