RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
rdchawk

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by rdchawk »

How many of the other teams do a formation landing??
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

harkins

Post by harkins »

Talk about saving the best till last.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

rdchawk wrote:How many of the other teams do a formation landing??

How many other teams need to? :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Hey, i'm not saying I love the Spanish, but in their minute small defense they do something other teams don't, although didn't the Biele Albatrosy Team do a formation landing at the wet day of RIAT at Cottesmore in 20 whenever??
Whisky Connoisseur

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Polish Orliks have done in the past as well. :smile:

st24

Post by st24 »

And the Frecce.... Albeit 2x5s...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Berf

Post by Berf »

Are not some teams part time or carrying out the duties in their spare time?

st24

Post by st24 »

capercaillie wrote:.
What other team has those wow moments like the Reds superb Gypo break or carousel turns? I wish they would still end with the visually stunning parasol break to be honest, and put the vixen break in earlier, worked so much better. The Reds do try and link in more new formations and manoeuvres each year than any of the other big teams as well, the Italians have hardly changed anything since having the MB339s apart from the first split since the Ramstein tragedy. And of course they can change display from high to medium to flat display during display at a moment's call.

Never wishing to enter a row with you sir but I'd wager the Swiss tunnel is still very much a wow move, and the finale with flares is simply stunning. The Pats do several "breaks de la gypo" with pairs, 3s and 4s rolling under/behind each other and I always wow at their seamless transitions from loop to clover whilst changing formations-theyre visually sensational imo. I also rate pretty much everything the Frecce do on the wow factor - the aforementioned big breaks and cross over, the lomcevak and antics from the solo and the signature rainbow finale to Pavarotti gets me every time. Fair comment about lack of change though - the same basic sequence has been flown since Gina days, possibly even Sabre...
The Reds are excellent no doubt and I still marvel at their flexibility to accommodate changing weather and other conditions. I just feel theyve been shafted by these ridiculous axis changes and some of their own hype. And agreed, a 7ship vixen break is not the way to end!!!! Bring back the parasol or "spaghetti" break (which they're still well practiced in!) As for the Spanish all I'll say is that they definitely had their game face on at Zaragoza the other year, a really close, tight well flown display making great use of crowd rear too!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Is the Swiss tunnel much different to what any other team is doing these days, only faster because of what they fly? Yes the flares look good but they would if the other teams could use them?

I'm not knocking any of the other teams (Spanish excepted), they're all great, I just think some people aren't watching the Reds properly if they don't think they're up to anything better than no5 on the list. Display line nonsense put aside of course which was just silly :surrender: .

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Just so you're aware, Caper, the Red Arrows hold a very special place in my heart for personal reasons so I will always stop and watch them.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

capercaillie wrote:What other team has those wow moments like the Reds superb Gypo break or carousel turns? I wish they would still end with the visually stunning parasol break to be honest, and put the vixen break in earlier, worked so much better. The Reds do try and link in more new formations and manoeuvres each year than any of the other big teams as well, the Italians have hardly changed anything since having the MB339s apart from the first split since the Ramstein tragedy. And of course they can change display from high to medium to flat display during display at a moment's call.

I know the discussion is about european teams specifically, but our snowbirds fly an equally dynamic show, with a few 9 plane brakes in there as well. Every team has their own things that make them special. I think the reason that people got so uptight last year about whether or not the thunderbirds were awesome is because people expected the thunderbirds to show up and fly the Red's show but in F-16's...that's just not a reality.

I've seen the snowbirds probably in the hundreds of times, and I can honestly say that I still love stopping to watch them fly. There are some of the passes by the reds that are different. And the coloured smoke is a nice touch. But I'll take the snowbirds.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

I've seen the Snowbirds and they were excellent, particularly liked the diamond 9 ship top side pass, something many European teams could incorporate with great ease. :up:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

:clap: :yahoo: Best update ever!! :rock: :worship:

Yeah, OK, it's 2 hours early, but I thought I'd get it in first before someone else does.....which they will...regardless of how good or crap today's update is ( assuming we get one, that is ) :lol:

And at least it's more on-topic than most of the last 3 pages of posts on here. :whistle: :wink:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Brevet Cable wrote::clap: :yahoo: Best update ever!! :rock: :worship:

Yeah, OK, it's 2 hours early, but I thought I'd get it in first before someone else does.....which they will...regardless of how good or crap today's update is ( assuming we get one, that is ) :lol:

And at least it's more on-topic than most of the last 3 pages of posts on here. :whistle: :wink:

I'll go with a M'eh and hope i'm wrong.
Whisky Connoisseur

Rossbeef

Post by Rossbeef »

Patrulla Aguila anyone? :lol:

Berf

Post by Berf »

Rossbeef wrote:Patrulla Aguila anyone? :lol:

Yes please

st24

Post by st24 »

Brevet Cable wrote:

Hear hear! Always rely on you for no nonsense straight to the point relevant posts... :tongue:

Gripenjetphotos

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

The Finnish Army will be sending two NH90 TTH helicopters to the 2018 Air Tattoo - one taking to the skies and a second on static display!
Our CE and Head of Air Ops were recently in contact with USAFE HQ to explore support for RIAT 2018.
Next week a number of the RAFCTE team will be attending the British Air Display Association (BADA) pre-season symposium.

Nice return for the NH-90 to the Air Tattoo flying display! Last time was 2013 if i'm correct? :yahoo:
Last edited by Gripenjetphotos on Thu 08 Feb 2018, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am impartial to a bit of jet noise.

Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

That's a corker of an update!

Albion143

Post by Albion143 »

Don't think we have had one of these in the flying display before. Happy with that, nice to see some additional info posted as well.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

:up: for the flying....Meh! for the static.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Albion143 wrote:Don't think we have had one of these in the flying display before. Happy with that, nice to see some additional info posted as well.

Yep it has flown before - 3 years ago (i think)
Whisky Connoisseur

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Post by Ledhead27 »

Flew in 2013 iirc
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Albion143 wrote:Don't think we have had one of these in the flying display before. Happy with that, nice to see some additional info posted as well.

RIAT 2013

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Our CE and Head of Air Ops were recently in contact with USAFE HQ to explore support for RIAT 2018.
Next week a number of the RAFCTE team will be attending the British Air Display Association (BADA) pre-season symposium.

:clap:

A bit of life behind the scenes! This type of stuff is much better than blandly simply listing what’s attending. Credit to them for fleshing the life of the air tattoo out a little bit.

Nice to see the NH-90 back, one of the prettiest of the types around, IMO.