RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
edhunter

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by edhunter »

I'm sorry if it has already been mentioned, but who won the awards this year?

And who is doing the review this year?

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

Quick question for anyone monitoring the tower at departures yesterday - who went where they shouldn't, when we ended up with 5 aircraft facing both directions on the runway with the C17 playing piggy in the middle?

paulb1973

Post by paulb1973 »

IP1960 wrote:Quick question for anyone monitoring the tower at departures yesterday - who went where they shouldn't, when we ended up with 5 aircraft facing both directions on the runway with the C17 playing piggy in the middle?

We did see two Italian Typhoons facing west at the 27 end, with other aircraft on the runway coming towards them.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

edhunter wrote:And who is doing the review this year?

*raises hand*

...God help me. :grin:

Harvo266

Post by Harvo266 »

IP1960 wrote:Quick question for anyone monitoring the tower at departures yesterday - who went where they shouldn't, when we ended up with 5 aircraft facing both directions on the runway with the C17 playing piggy in the middle?

The SAC/NATO C-17 missed his turning/exit on backtrack so was prioritized, meaning the Italian Typhoons had to wait.
Nikon D500

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

The C-17 missed his left turning..conveniently :wink:

So all those at the 27 threshold had to move off back into hold to allow him space to turn around.

He then left first (no-one likes a queue jumper - no matter how big you are :grin: ).
The a/c following the taxiing C-17 did turn off where they were supposed to.

At least- thats what I believe I heard...

CJS

Post by CJS »

edhunter wrote:I'm sorry if it has already been mentioned, but who won the awards this year?

About 7 posts ago :up:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

borismorris wrote:

The C-17 missed his left turning..conveniently :wink:

So all those at the 27 threshold had to move off back into hold to allow him space to turn around.

He then left first (no-one likes a queue jumper - no matter how big you are :grin: ).
The a/c following the taxiing C-17 did turn off where they were supposed to.

At least- thats what I believe I heard...

Correct. The Italian F2000s were going to backtrack the full length as they had an imminent CTOT, but unfortunately the C-17 followed them past Charlie. Luckily we just managed to get the Italians away inside their slot tolerance window.

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Thu 13 Sep 2018, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Surprised the BBMF won best overall display, surely they were just olive drab like most of the pilots?

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

UKTopgun wrote:Surprised the BBMF won best overall display, surely they were just olive drab like most of the pilots?

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

Thanks for the replies.

davidjones533 wrote:I saw the F-16 (?) behind the C-17 also miss the exit but quickly did a U-turn. He had to wait for the Tornado (?) behind him to vacate first though.

(sorry after 7 days of continuously watching aircraft they’re all starting to merge into one)

Yes at one point everyone had come to a halt - those two were facing another either side of the exit, behind the C17 just past FRIAT, looking along at the Italians who were lined up for departure.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

In east it was actually quite amusing. Because the first Italian Typhoon had actually powered up its engines to take off and then aborted. So we thought ‘what happened there? Has it gone tech?’. But because there was a sentinal/ Hercules can’t remember which one in the way we couldn’t see down the other end of the runway and this big Nato C17 just popped out of no where like ‘no i’m taking off first’. :grin:

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Was the plan not to do the HF on the Friday, but instead fly the nuts off the F35A? Epic scenes. :rock:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Detail of the awards are now up on the RIAT website : https://www.airtattoo.com/news/2018/jul/17/top-displays-honoured-at-air-tattoo
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Flare Path wrote:Was the plan not to do the HF on the Friday, but instead fly the nuts off the F35A? Epic scenes. :rock:

As a display, whatever they did on the Friday was pretty naff. There was a Texan bloke sat not far from me almost physically raging at how poor it was compared with the standard displays put on by the USMC with their respective F35 variants - along with many "That was aaaaahhhwful"s
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

I was in the techno zone Friday watching those F-35 passses and have to say can’t agree with it being worse than the USMC display. The latter consists of one tight turn, a top side and a hover - that’s it.

Very few of my highlights from this year’s show are aircraft related. I’m still shattered! :grin:

harkins

Post by harkins »

What kind of stuff did you get up to volunteering this year? Sounds like you enjoyed the experience but, did it mean you didn’t see much of the displays?

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Pringles wrote:
Flare Path wrote:Was the plan not to do the HF on the Friday, but instead fly the nuts off the F35A? Epic scenes. :rock:

As a display, whatever they did on the Friday was pretty naff. There was a Texan bloke sat not far from me almost physically raging at how poor it was compared with the standard displays put on by the USMC with their respective F35 variants - along with many "That was aaaaahhhwful"s

The gentleman from Texas may be correct in his opinion - certainly from the point of view, he will have 'most likely' seen better at home. From my POV and the consideration when I last saw the F35 perform with any real meaning - 2016 (?) - I thought the Friday this year with the A variant was very impressive; plenty of aggressive manoeuvres, even if it was a slightly truncated performance. Not to be left on my own with this opinion, I believe I read something on here Friday evening saying the same.

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

For me, the F-35 solo on Friday was superb. Repositioning was a bit time consuming, but each pass brought with it a lot of noise and drama. I've not been much of a fan up to now, but the jet impresses me more and more each time I see it :cool:
My shots on Flickr and Airliners

G67

Post by G67 »

Yes for something that's a couple of tonnes heavier than a Phantom, and which doesn't have TVC, the F-35A really could move itself well. That 9G 'tactical pitch' was phenomenal. Unexpectedly that Friday display became the highlight of the show for me.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Seamus wrote:For me, the F-35 solo on Friday was superb. Repositioning was a bit time consuming, but each pass brought with it a lot of noise and drama. I've not been much of a fan up to now, but the jet impresses me more and more each time I see it :cool:

agree 100% , an unexpected highlight for me
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

st24

Post by st24 »

I really don't know how some can praise the F-35 "display" on the Friday whilst at the same time we have a separate thread rubbishing the Canadian Hornet. F-35 was great on the noise front but it did little else other than fly past and pitch up sharply and repeat. The CF-188 flew a precise sequence of fully aerobatic manoeuvres or "display" as we old uns used to call it... :dizzy:
And on the aesthetics front there really y was no comparison,and, as m'learned colleague hinted at that's all that matters.. :win:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Have to agree with Geoff here. The individual bits were great, but as a "display" it wasn't solid.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

G67

Post by G67 »

For me the appeal was in the surprise of the F-35's display.

We all know what a Hornet or F-16 can do, after three decades of displays, but the 35 has been lambasted as a fat, slow turkey. And yet here in it's first year of appearance it has already ahiwn promise.

I'm going to do some Youtube research now into 1980s F-16 displays. I'll bet they were quite tame.