RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
aceyone

Re: The RIAT 2018 ask and discus everything thread

Post by aceyone »

Don't they take them to desert islands as well ?
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

Brevet Cable

Re: The RIAT 2018 ask and discuss everything thread

Post by Brevet Cable »

I predict the Ukrainians may attend.......and even if they don't, like a number of other display items, posters on here will keep repeatedly rehashing the same arguments as to why they will for days, weeks, or even months on end. :whistle:

:biggrin:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

MC hammer

Re: The RIAT 2018 ask and discuss everything thread

Post by MC hammer »

At least the Ukranians put an end to the "Is Donald Trump Attending RIAT cos he's in Europe at the moment" rumours.
Imagine how long the queues at security would be if he was.

Hidden amongst all the guff about the Ukranians, are a couple of posts that offer a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why the Ukranians might think they are coming to RIAT but DBH haven't confirmed yet, but some people just ignore these.

Even posts from the horse's mouth, i.e Tom from RIAT air ops, still don't register with some.

Anyway, I've secured a one year lease on one of the disused HASs at Upper Heyford, so I can live there to avoid the flak I will get if Air Force One does turn up.

And in case anyone is still wondering................................. no I haven't.

alans895

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by alans895 »

Can anybody please advise when tickets usually go on sale for upcoming RIATs?

I attended in 2016, but couldn't make it this year, so registering at the show for 2018 was not an option.

Also, have Mach 3 tickets ever been sold out within 1 month of going on sale?

Sorry for these questions, but it's a long way over the "pond" from Australia, and I want to plan the trip including accommodation as soon as possible.

Regards,

Alan

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Website says "Tickets will go on sale in the Autumn" which in practice I believe means September. You can sign up for their emails which should keep you informed or follow their Facebook page.

FRIAT sold out in January this year so if that's the option you require then I wouldn't delay getting your ticket when they go on sale as they are selling out earlier each year.

alans895

Post by alans895 »

Thanks speedbird2639.

Regards,

Alan

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

As anyone who was at this year's show could tell you ( unless they're deaf ), there were constantly repeated broadcasts on the PA saying that the tickets for next year's RIAT go on sale in November.
아직도 숨어있다

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Are you sure Brevet? I'm sure the announcer said September and for 2017 they went on sale 5 Sept 2016 for the super earlybird offer.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Definitely sounded like November to me, and that was from 3 days of it being constantly repeated.
아직도 숨어있다

harkins

Post by harkins »

I predict that Mach3 will sell out in little over a week for next year. It feels a bit like what happened with football. For years I could get tickets for practically any match and often just pay on the day. Then Hillsborough, Gazza crying and Nick Hornby happened and suddenly the middle classes turned up and bought up all the tickets. I even wonder if we'll start to see RIAT tickets appearing on ticket reselling sites like Get Me In for hundreds of pounds?

alans895

Post by alans895 »

I asked the same question on another forum (site), and 5 out of 6 also said September, so I hope you did hear incorrectly Brevet Cable.

Regards,

Alan

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Ouragan wrote:With Fairford due to have a lot of work in preparation for the RC-135 throughout 2018 there is of course the possibility that the runway may not be operational in July, and DBH may well be putting together a contingency plan in case that happens.

I imagine this won't cause too much difficulty, they're just re-locating some aeroplanes to abase which is already a forward operating base for these very aircraft. However, should the organisers need to look elsewhere for another venue, for any reason, then where? The RAF have nowhere suitable any longer, at least that's the impression fostered over recent years. They certainly couldn't use Waddington, they couldn't use Marham as they do have a lot of new infrastructure being built and quite extensive it is so I understand. That leaves Lossiemouth and outside chances, Kinloss and Leuchars, forget it, all too far from Central UK. Coningsby, possibly too operationally cramped, for RIAT that is, and unlikely to meet with favour from the air force board. There is Brize Norton? Odiham? But again, all the previous points will likely apply!? :cuppa:

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

Adamwilliams132

Post by Adamwilliams132 »

Would think Cosford will have a decent part to play in the RAFs birthday bash, with the
Museum on site it would be quite easy to do a chronological order of RAF planes on static.
I agree with all the above points about holding it elsewhere, I can only think of possibly boscombe down as an alternative I believe it's held air tattoos in the past and is nowhere near as busy as somewhere like Brize.

stu_h
UKAR Supporter

Post by stu_h »

alans895 wrote:I asked the same question on another forum (site), and 5 out of 6 also said September, so I hope you did hear incorrectly Brevet Cable.

Regards,

Alan

I heard September too each time it was mentioned on both Saturday and Sunday. This ties in with at least 2015 and 2016. Looks to be the first Monday of September, so 4th this year.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Finningley Boy wrote:I imagine this won't cause too much difficulty, they're just re-locating some aeroplanes to abase which is already a forward operating base for these very aircraft.
http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77352&start=34 seems to indicate it is a bit more complicated.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

adethorne

Post by adethorne »

Finningley Boy wrote:
Ouragan wrote:With Fairford due to have a lot of work in preparation for the RC-135 throughout 2018 there is of course the possibility that the runway may not be operational in July, and DBH may well be putting together a contingency plan in case that happens.

I imagine this won't cause too much difficulty, they're just re-locating some aeroplanes to abase which is already a forward operating base for these very aircraft. However, should the organisers need to look elsewhere for another venue, for any reason, then where? The RAF have nowhere suitable any longer, at least that's the impression fostered over recent years. They certainly couldn't use Waddington, they couldn't use Marham as they do have a lot of new infrastructure being built and quite extensive it is so I understand. That leaves Lossiemouth and outside chances, Kinloss and Leuchars, forget it, all too far from Central UK. Coningsby, possibly too operationally cramped, for RIAT that is, and unlikely to meet with favour from the air force board. There is Brize Norton? Odiham? But again, all the previous points will likely apply!? :cuppa:

FB :biggrin:

how about boscombe down again?

Ouragan

Post by Ouragan »

Boscombe is certainly big enough, but these days it is much more commercial with QinetiQ having the name above the door. I suspect it would not be as straightforward as last time.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Boscombe down has too much sensitive stuff on base to do a RIAT, at least that was told when the search was on for a replacement of the base when Fairford was upgraded which ended up in two years of Cottesmore.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Ouragan

Post by Ouragan »

It seems rather sad that Fairford is the only location in the UK that ticks enough boxes to be able to hold RIAT.

f-4

Post by f-4 »

Well Cottesmore's runway is still there...and my house is but a mile away... :ninja:

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

With the line up we had at RIAT 17 does anyone think it could be any better at RIAT 18 if so how?

As for me I think it will be very hard.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

edhunter wrote:With the line up we had at RIAT 17 does anyone think it could be any better at RIAT 18 if so how?

Well the RAF was pretty weak in the flying display, the USAF provided the same number of displays and there's the small matter of the Atlantic Ocean in the way :whistle:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

The actual RAF presence on static (of in service front line/fast jet aircraft) wise was again rubbish in 2017.

1 x Chinook
1 x Puma
1 x Tornado
2 x Typhoon
1 x Hawk T2
1 x Hawk T1
2 x A400M
1x King Air

There were more USAF aircraft on static....

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Depends whether you want to count DHFS in there Andy? At a pinch you culd count Affinity too.

DHFS gives you another three, Affinity a further three as well. Then add in the plastic mockups, which as far as the public are concerned are aircraft too, that's four more.

Rossbeef

Post by Rossbeef »

I for one am hoping that the Polish will make a return. They have supported the show for a good few years now with the Mig-29, Su-22s and F-16s and I did miss them this year. Interesting that the RAF are not attending Radom too this year.