RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Kevyboy1979

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by Kevyboy1979 »

Hopefully the updates over the coming weeks will get bigger and better as still nothing standing out with that wow factor in the flying display...The static seems to be coming along but an awful lot of large aircraft which are hard to photo sometimes depending on the angle u can get so hope they get a few more smaller fighters and bombers.

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

There’s a Facebook page called ‘Original RIAT Nutters’ that I think a few people would fit into pretty well on here... :snack:

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

I agree the RNZAF news is disappointing however today’s update was a good one.

Although I cannot agree with any claim that a nation should attend due to foreign aid. They’re completely unrelated and that sort of thinking belongs in the Daily Mail.

I still can’t understand why people are saying there is no killer/unique flying display... a mass RAF flypast on the Friday isn’t unique enough???!

Onwards and upwards next week.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I don't want to get political, and I wish I had a better analogy, but it seems to me that complaining that India don't send something "because of all the aid we give them" is like berating a guy, whose not inexpensive car you stole for a while six months ago, damaged considerably on a joyride, and nicked the spare tyre out of the boot and the TomTom out of the glovebox before being forced by the police to return it, and have been paying him 20p a month since then as a "gesture of goodwill", for not taking you to dinner on your birthday because of all the shiny pennies you've been gracious enough to give him since then.

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

I know my opinion might not be the most popular around here at the moment due to the Rafale announcement, but seriously, all you people thinking this show isn't shaping up nicely are feckin delusional.

The lineup already would make any other airshow around the world tear up with joy, and all you guys can do is bitch about how it's not good enough. There's still 11 more updates to go even if they're only weekly, and we know they start coming more than weekly here soon. Even if they added no more flying displays this would still be one of the biggest displays in the world.

Every military is facing budgetary constraints. Not every military can afford the resources with the current geopolitical climate to send their assets to perform, or even be on static.

All that being said, if you for one second believe that the next 11 weeks aren't going to bring some amazing additions you haven't been paying attention. The ukranians confirmed on the Wednesday of the show last year didn't they? This show is already bigger than last year. Don't whinge that the aircraft you wanted aren't coming. That's not realistic.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

boff180 wrote:... a mass RAF flypast on the Friday isn’t unique enough???!

Possibly because there's a dearth of information as to what - and how many - that flypast will involve.
Add to that the question as to whether or not it'll be 'unique'...or will it simply be a repeat of the Mall flypast and/or possibly Cosford.
If it's up to the standard of the 2008 'RAF 90' RIAT flypast or the 2009 'Fly Navy 100' one it'll be good - the worry is that it won't be.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

effects

Post by effects »

PeterR wrote:
AARDVARK wrote:Kiwis —— disgusting ..at least something !!
Aussies — poor ...larger contingent like we did in 2001!!
Indians ..something for all the bloody aid we give them!!
Israelis ..disappointing...considering we participated in their flypast today !!
RAF get you friggging finger out for Christ sake ,this is YOUR’E party after all...embarrassing!!

Only thing that's disgusting is your attitude. Your comments are some of the most obnoxious posted on this forum in a long time.

Obviously forgotten DOHs constant posts regarding how cowardly the RAF are!
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

Kevyboy1979

Post by Kevyboy1979 »

From the RIAT website it says, Due to the nature of this event flying participants many be different on each day.......So by the sounds of this and from what they have released is flying there must still be a hell of a lot more for each 7hr+ airshow over 3 days to be different.....The flypast should gd only problem is its only on 1 day which is fine for me as I'm going all week but others might only get 1 day which might not be the flypast day.

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

AARDVARK wrote:[
Israelis ..disappointing...considering we participated in their flypast today !!

Do you serious think they would pre announce the Israeli participation anyway? :tumbleweed: If you look back last year they were listed declined also. Most people didn't know the C-130 was attending until it appeared on the Thursday sheet of lies. https://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/visit ... dates-2017
Gary

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Royal Air Force Debuts First F-35 Squadron

Apr 18, 2018

Tony Osborne and Lara Seligman
Aerospace Daily & Defense Report

LONDON — Britain’s Royal Air Force has re-established 617 Squadron as the nation’s first unit to fly the F-35B Joint Strike Fighter.

The “Dambusters”, famous for the wartime mission against German dams in May 1943, reformed during a ceremony at the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum in Washington, D.C. on April 17.

The squadron will become the first British operational frontline unit to fly the F-35 Lightning.

The reactivation is the first milestone in the squadron’s planned move back across the Atlantic to RAF Marham, Norfolk, which will be the main operating base for British F-35s.

The squadron has been training “hand in glove” with the U.S. Marine Corps at MCAS Beaufort, South Carolina and is just about ready to transition to its permanent home at Marham this summer, said Wing Commander John Butcher during an interview at the event.

The F-35 “really is a leap forward compared to anything we operated before,” said Butcher, who previously flew Harriers and F/A-18 Hornets. “The fact that it can see and hear at such significant ranges, it has all the sensors and the technology that will support the pilot in the cockpit to make quick, good decisions – that for me is the thing that changes with this platform.”

Nine of Britain’s 15 F-35s are expected to cross the ocean in June in readiness for the RAF’s centenary celebrations, which include a flypast over London and participation in the Royal International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford. British F-35s will be operated jointly by the RAF and the Royal Navy’s Fleet Air Arm as part of the Joint Lightning Force to reflect their primary carrier strike mission.

Britain has chosen to call the F-35 the Lightning, rather than the Lightning II, because two aircraft have previously used the same name in U.K. service.

The RAF plans to declare the F-35 ready for combat, a milestone called initial operational capability, by year’s end, Butcher said. 617 Squadron will fly for the first time on the new HMS Queen Elizabeth aircraft carrier toward the end of 2019 or early 2020.

Until now, the majority of Britain’s F-35 fleet and its associated personnel have been part of the U.S. Marine Corps’ VMFAT-501 “Warlords” at Beaufort. Once 617 Squadron leaves Beaufort, a cadre of personnel and aircraft will remain to form 207 Squadron, the operational conversion unit – a British term for a training squadron – which will transfer to the U.K. in 2019.

Butcher’s 617 Squadron includes a mix of experienced aviators and four brand-new pilots. It is these young men and wome n, climbing into the F-35 with no preconceptions, who will be key to developing tactics for the new stealth fighter, Butcher said.

The pilots “need to forget what they knew before. They need to come with a new portfolio, a new idea in their heads of exactly what it is they need to do with the platform to make it air combat effective,” Butcher said. “All of the previous tactics and the way we used to fight are very much gone.”

Lightning Force Commander Air Commodore David Bradshaw highlighted the reformation of 617 Squadron as “a most momentous day” for the U.K. Lightning Force.

“Manned by highly-capable Royal Air Force and Royal Navy personnel and equipped with the truly remarkable F-35B Lightning, 617 Squadron will once again provide potent, flexible air power for the nation,” Bradshaw said.

That's a bigger number than I expected. :clap:

effects

Post by effects »

It is THE Royal Air Force!!
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

138EAW wrote:
AARDVARK wrote:[

Do you serious think they would pre announce the Israeli participation anyway? :tumbleweed: If you look back last year they were listed declined also. Most people didn't know the C-130 was attending until it appeared on the Thursday sheet of lies. https://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/visit ... dates-2017

True ,I’ll give you that !

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

effects wrote:
PeterR wrote:
RAF get you friggging finger out for Christ sake ,this is YOUR’E party after all...embarrassing!!

Only thing that's disgusting is your attitude. Your comments are some of the most obnoxious posted on this forum in a long time.

Some people are so easily offended ...

Anyway there you go.

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

How many air arms in the past have declined and then go on to confirm aircraft participation for the show and what did they send?

Cole

Post by Cole »

duffspeed wrote:Does anybody know if the Danish F-104 is able to display outside Denmark? Or is this the same situation as with the Swedes with their Viggen and Draken etc?

If i remember correctly, the pilot is a Norwegian Air force pilot and has a DA through the Norwegian air force which i believe the UK CAA accept.
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

AARDVARK wrote:
effects wrote:
PeterR wrote:

Some people are so easily offended ...

Anyway there you go.

At least you had the balls to say it dude.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

AngryAndyPandy

Post by AngryAndyPandy »

Well that blew up out of nowhere! :lol: Moving on... That KC-390 will be great to see; a new heavy for me to explore! Do people reckon we'll be treated to anything big in the flying? Do the Italians still display their Spartan?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

ColeTheDemolisher wrote:
duffspeed wrote:Does anybody know if the Danish F-104 is able to display outside Denmark? Or is this the same situation as with the Swedes with their Viggen and Draken etc?

If i remember correctly, the pilot is a Norwegian Air force pilot and has a DA through the Norwegian air force which i believe the UK CAA accept.

I thought, regardless of whether the home nation signed a pilot off with approval, that pilot still had to be validated by a UK representative to display in the UK.

Regardless, assuming I'm talking crap, as I normally am, the display authorisation may be accepted, but the machine may not. I presume the current CAA restriction on swept-wing civilian-owned jet aircraft displays applies to the F-104 in the same way as it does to the SwAFHF assets.

Mind, an F-104 even on static would be supertop. To think everyone was bored of them in the 90s...

duffspeed

Post by duffspeed »

Tommy wrote:
ColeTheDemolisher wrote:

I thought, regardless of whether the home nation signed a pilot off with approval, that pilot still had to be validated by a UK representative to display in the UK.

Regardless, assuming I'm talking crap, as I normally am, the display authorisation may be accepted, but the machine may not. I presume the current CAA restriction on swept-wing civilian-owned jet aircraft displays applies to the F-104 in the same way as it does to the SwAFHF assets.

Mind, an F-104 even on static would be supertop. To think everyone was bored of them in the 90s...

I've only ever seen them fly once, at Greenham Common in the early 80s (82?). I was only 7 or 8 and their engine sound made a big impression on me. Would have been nice to have seen a B-58 with four of those engines screaming but alas they are no more.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Tommy wrote:Mind, an F-104 even on static would be supertop. To think everyone was bored of them in the 90s...

No they weren't. Very rare by then with just the Italians and Turks still bringing them to UK shows. Don't really think there was ever a time when people were bored with the earlier frontline fast jets such as F-104, F-4, Lightning, Draken, Mirage III, Crusader etc, :yahoo: so much more character and everything looked so unique compared to the bland computer designed lumps we are getting now :down: .
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Wonder if there'll be a stall selling rose-tinted spectacles this year.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

duffspeed

Post by duffspeed »

Wissam24 wrote:Wonder if there'll be a stall selling rose-tinted spectacles this year.

If a pair can bring back any of the above, then yes please.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Isn't there an American company operating a handful of civi-registered F-104s, doing a similar job to what HHA do over here?
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

lozza

Post by lozza »

parsley wrote:
lozza wrote:100 years of RAF and nothing special just the usual, was hoping maybe a role demo with Typhoons, very poor. :wall: :wall: :wall:

Yes because RIAT always finalise what coming to the show by mid April :wall:

Well i'm sure had the RAF planned some sort of role demo, they'd be practising by now, I'd love to be proven wrong, anyway it was just my own thoughts, so whats rattled you so much.

FullCarrot

Post by FullCarrot »

Tornado fly past confirmed for Cosford, bit of a token effort but wonder if we could get an appearance at RIAT?