RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
AARDVARK

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by AARDVARK »

harkins wrote:It's like two boxers going toe to toe so far. Yeovilton Air Day really is looking excellent and whilst there are 19 Thursdays to go, at this early stage it is fair to say that Yeovilton is putting together an excellent line up - especially when you consider the relative expectation levels of the two shows. After a couple of rounds I'd definitely put Yeovilton ahead on points.

Indeed ,my sentiments aswell ,it’s like whatever you have,we have aswell,plus x2 Marine Rafales lol

Of course, beyond the participants, there are a lot of other factors that ultimately separate these two airshows.

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

Flare Path wrote:
chill51 wrote:IMO Helicopter displays don't work that well at a venue as big as Fairford at your smaller shows yes but i just think the display line is way to long for chopper displays.

I disagree, but it does depend on the type of helicopter involved. For example, the NH90 or Swiss Puma performing a display is quite impressive - in 2015, the mighty Czech Hind put on a great display too. Further back, the Royal Navy showcased a superb Merlin display.

If they're rarely seen, that's usually good enough for me.

quite impressive, maybe if you are sitting in the grandstand but if you are at either end, a bit of a damp squib.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

harkins wrote:They will confirm them at some point. I assume that they will pace themselves as I'd imagine that the gradual ramping up of announcements will be part of the ongoing ticket sales strategy. Although, I'm not sure Patrulla Aguila are being held back as the key to a sell out.

[rant]

You’ve been a member on here and posted in this section for almost 5 years and you believe that’s what happens with RIAT participation announcements despite, riatmarketing, Tom and multiple members repeatedly saying what happens over and over again?

:wall: :wall: :wall:

[/rant]

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Albion143 wrote:
Airwolfhound wrote:M'eh, another fast jet flown miles away from the display line :mad:

There was I hoping for another helicopter or ten :smile: :cool:

:wink:

I'm gutted we have another fast jet displaying at the largest military airshow in the world. Its awful news!!! :facepalm:

I assume my little wink smilie at the end of my post was a little lost on you ?

Hey, I love fast jets, I really do, but I would have thought my username may give it away that I prefer helicopters, or is that lost on you too ? :smile:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

harkins

Post by harkins »

boff180 wrote:
harkins wrote:They will confirm them at some point. I assume that they will pace themselves as I'd imagine that the gradual ramping up of announcements will be part of the ongoing ticket sales strategy. Although, I'm not sure Patrulla Aguila are being held back as the key to a sell out.

[rant]

You’ve been a member on here and posted in this section for almost 5 years and you believe that’s what happens with RIAT participation announcements despite, riatmarketing, Tom and multiple members repeatedly saying what happens over and over again?

[/rant]

:oops: Five years? Crikey. I guess not long enough though. I suppose I'm just a bit cynical and figure things must be somewhat orchestrated and there just might be some occasional collusion in order to give certain participants a little extra focus or just avoid a rut of confirmations one week and nothing the next.

Given that I am wrong and clearly not getting the procedure; how is it that the USAF Heritage Flight and Patrulla Aguilla (forget the Facebook postings of the Belgian F-16 pilot) have both had the dates published on their official websites whilst RIAT/DBH don't have confirmation. Are the US and Spanish air forces just very presumptuous?

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Obviously DBH has not received any confirmation as of yet from the Belgians,Spanish or US who have simply declared their intent.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Heater

Post by Heater »

Green light next to Hellenic AF is flashing since yesterday......hmmmm...additional participation???....A pair of M-2000 or T-2 would be nice...

iaint
UKAR Staff

Post by iaint »

Heater wrote:Green light next to Hellenic AF is flashing since yesterday......hmmmm...additional participation???....A pair of M-2000 or T-2 would be nice...

Or maybe that the green light remains flashing for the entire week to bring focus to it being/containing the latest update.
The flashing will stop next Thursday about 1155 when it’s no longer the latest update and another new addition is in the list.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iainthomson84/

End of Message, End of Broadcast

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Heater wrote:Green light next to Hellenic AF is flashing since yesterday......hmmmm...additional participation???....A pair of M-2000 or T-2 would be nice...

IIRC that just means it's the most recent nations to be added in the latest update, not a hint at more additional participation
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

To quote the RIAT website

"When a light flashes it means there is additional information or another confirmation from that country."
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Heater

Post by Heater »

rdchawk wrote:To quote the RIAT website
"When a light flashes it means there is additional information or another confirmation from that country."

...exactly that.... mystery will be solved next Thursday.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Heater wrote:
rdchawk wrote:To quote the RIAT website

...exactly that.... mystery will be solved next Thursday.

It refers to the previous update.

There could very well be further Greek participation, maybe not, but the flashing green light is not indicative of that.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Ok to quote fully

"An amber light will appear alongside the country when we enter into discussions about their potential participation. When we receive written confirmation from a country's air arm or civilian operator a green light will appear. When a light flashes it means there is additional information or another confirmation from that country. Countries that have declined their invitation will be listed below under a red button."

Lots of ways to "translate" that
Whisky Connoisseur

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

rdchawk wrote:Lots of ways to "translate" that

:roll: Experience tells us that when it flashes immediately after an update, the flashing is to demonstrate that the nation is recently added, not that there's more to come with the next update
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Would say also that if there were more to come from that participation as per website, then surely Civilian would be a flashing green light.
Whisky Connoisseur

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAdGhMRBbzY[/youtube]

CJS

Post by CJS »

boff180 wrote:

[rant]

[/rant]

We all know how DBH announce the participants, and quite rightly they don't until they themselves have received confirmation. This avoids silliness like we've seen from the Swedes in recent years. However, to be fair to harkins on this occasion, it's somewhat different when an official source of an airarm seems to be confirming their attendance - in this case the USAF no less. So perhaps it's not unreasonable to wonder why some self confirmation doesn't get confirmed by DBH sooner.

Would the Heritage Flight have confirmed their attendance if it had not indeed been confirmed? Would a Belgian airforce officer say on his display team's official social media outlet that he was coming if he wasn't? With private setups I totally get it - there was an issue with the Sea Vixen a few years back IIRC. But with airforces self confirming, maybe that's different, as they'll have more in place to stop erroneous claims (you'd think anyway).
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

AngryAndyPandy

Post by AngryAndyPandy »

It could be as simple as the paperwork hasn't been received or an email hasn't been sent, couldn't it? Anyway I think this drives the point home of not expecting confirmations unless DBH confirm it; simple as. There could be a multitude of reasons, of which we probably don't need to know, as much as we'd love to know every step of the process.

Canuck84

Post by Canuck84 »

Chrisse wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAdGhMRBbzY[/youtube]

:clap: Bravo Sir...Picard nailed it. This thread is great, and frequently hilarious. Asking modern (often-shortstaffed) armed forces to confirm sending static display aircraft 6 MONTHS prior is fairly silly. Being Canadian I sincerely hope that my comrades pull through and manage to send all 3 confirmed static aircraft to RIAT 2018, but I'd bet dollars to Jelly Doughnuts that only 2 of those 3 aircraft end up on the ground at Fairford.

A lot can happen between now and July. The more statics DBH "confirm" now, the more likely they are to cancel. I feel much more comfortable having statics confirmed in May/June when aircraft hours and serviceability are easier to predict.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

CJS wrote:Would a Belgian airforce officer say on his display team's official social media outlet that he was coming if he wasn't?

Whilst not Belgian, unless I'm mistaken this has happened in the past.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

So given that we wait with baited breath for Thursdays this must mean that confirmations only come down on the Wednesday p.m. or Thursday morning?

I don't think so.

Despite what is claimed to the contrary I'd be pretty sure acts are already confirmed but are as yet unannounced. The Thursday strategy is all about generating interest and rightly so. It's all geared to ramping up the anticipation.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

borismorris wrote:So given that we wait with baited breath for Thursdays this must mean that confirmations only come down on the Wednesday p.m. or Thursday morning?

I don't think so.

Despite what is claimed to the contrary I'd be pretty sure acts are already confirmed but are as yet unannounced. The Thursday strategy is all about generating interest and rightly so. It's all geared to ramping up the anticipation.

DBH have said time and time again, they only announce once an act is confirmed (and that can be far more complex than just an email saying they're coming, it involves sorting logistics.etc.etc), that can happen at any time during a week. Once confirmed, they then announce the aircraft that Thursday.

These conspiracy theories and dare I say.. claims of misinformation/lies by DBH... without basis just "I think"... seem to change day by day

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

rdchawk wrote:Ok to quote fully

"An amber light will appear alongside the country when we enter into discussions about their potential participation. When we receive written confirmation from a country's air arm or civilian operator a green light will appear. When a light flashes it means there is additional information or another confirmation from that country. Countries that have declined their invitation will be listed below under a red button."

Lots of ways to "translate" that

Is is worth pro-crastinating over,or wasting time arguing over such trivial detail....basically there maybe more stuff or there maybe not ...only time will tell!!

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

Do the drivers of the follow me cars get a choice of which aircraft to lead, who they get a chance of photographing the aircraft behind them and is there any special training required?

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Now wouldn’t that be a nice award for 5 or 6 FRIAT members to have...... a ride along in a ‘follow me’ car?

Imagine the great close up shots you could get.

Just a thought
Got to love Russianhardware