RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
AARDVARK

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by AARDVARK »

The sad thing is that there will e a huge gap in the flying display between the 1945 and modern day RAF.
No Vulcan,Lightning,Buccaneer,Harrier,basically all the iconic aircraft of the RAF Cold War era!
I do hope the powers that be put money towards this celebration and we get a decent number of formation flypasts and even a Tornado role demo again ?

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Getting a Harrier and Jaguar should be *technically* possible.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Just checked rates at the new hotel in Swindon (the old Menzies) for next year's RIAT. For Thursday till Monday that was about one thousand Pounds. That is PER NIGHT!

Oh, they describe themselves as a cheap budget hotel. :whistle:
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

CJS

Post by CJS »

AARDVARK wrote:The sad thing is that there will e a huge gap in the flying display between the 1945 and modern day RAF.
No Vulcan,Lightning,Buccaneer,Harrier,basically all the iconic aircraft of the RAF Cold War era!
I do hope the powers that be put money towards this celebration and we get a decent number of formation flypasts and even a Tornado role demo again ?

Apart from Jet Provosts, Meteors, Strikemasters, Hunters, Gnats, Vampires and Sea Furys you mean...
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

st24

Post by st24 »

CJS wrote:
AARDVARK wrote:The sad thing is that there will e a huge gap in the flying display between the 1945 and modern day RAF.

Apart from Jet Provosts, Meteors, Strikemasters, Hunters, Gnats, Vampires and Sea Furys you mean...

Why would we have SeaFury(s?) and Strikemasters as they never served with The RAF? Good luck with getting a Meteor, let alone Meteors...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

CJS

Post by CJS »

Good point about the Strikemasters and Sea Fury (I was basically just listing flying post 1945 military aircraft!!) but there are flying Meteors (plural).

As Andy pointed out regarding Jaguars and Harriers, it's possible, however unlikely. MB have two don't they? One was on static display at Abingdon this year.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Shark mouth Ukrainian SU-24, one can dream?

Xray833

Post by Xray833 »

MB have two don't they? One was on static display at Abingdon this year.[/quote]

Both were on static display at Yeovilton earlier this month.

Steve p

Post by Steve p »

I totally agree, we all know the reasons justified or not as to why most of our iconic cold war types cannot fly anymore but it is still such a shame. Also take away all the spitfires, hurricanes and the lancaster what other RAF WW2 combat types do we have, no mosquitos, beaufighters, typhoons, tempests, any medieum or heavy bombers apart from the blenhiem.
Such a shame we didnt save more airframes after 1945 but i suppose things was different back then and the mass scrappings was inevitable.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

You guys are overlooking the no-less significant years of development within the RAF during the interwar period, there's plenty of aircraft safeguarded by the Shuttleworth Collection that would be excellent additions to a flypast; the M1c for example was the Air Force's first monoplane, pivotal to the world of aviation!
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

edhunter

RIAT 2018 RAF 100th anniversary

Post by edhunter »

With the theme for next years show which of the many RAF sqdns are celebrating an anniversary?

The reason for this question is I'm wondering how many special tails are in the running to be at riat 18.

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Wissam24 wrote:Sadly, I fear that the attitude shown by the RAF top brass in the last few years suggests that it's populated by the kind of won't appreciate that they'll only ever get one shot to mark the most significant centenary in military aviation history. I truly, truly fear this.

Certainly what I was thinking too. But a quick google search reveals there is an RAF 100 website: https://www.raf.mod.uk/raf100/ . On there is a map of events celebrating 100 years of the RAF, ranging from concerts to airshows. The description for RIAT says "One of the most high profile events in the RAF100 calendar, RIAT will be extra-special in 2018" which does fill me with some hope.

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

Steve p wrote:Also take away all the spitfires, hurricanes and the lancaster what other RAF WW2 combat types do we have, no mosquitos, beaufighters, typhoons, tempests, any medieum or heavy bombers apart from the blenhiem.
Such a shame we didnt save more airframes after 1945 but i suppose things was different back then and the mass scrappings was inevitable.

It's quite feasible/likely we could see flying examples of types used by the RAF like the B-25, B-17, Dakota, Mustang, Anson, Lysander etc.

Nothing we can do about aircraft no longer flying, and a missed opportunity for recently flying types like the Canberra, but there's enough out there to make this special.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

"It's quite feasible/likely we could see flying examples of types used by the RAF like the B-25, B-17, Dakota, Mustang, Anson, Lysander"

Tell that to Flying Legends!
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

pbeardmore wrote:"It's quite feasible/likely we could see flying examples of types used by the RAF like the B-25, B-17, Dakota, Mustang, Anson, Lysander"

Tell that to Flying Legends!

Why? :dunno:

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

same dates
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Dan213

Post by Dan213 »

pbeardmore wrote:same dates

Acts have been shared in the past. For example Miss Helen as part of the heritage flight operated out of Duxford in 2016 during flying legends

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

pbeardmore wrote:same dates

I appreciate that, but Flying Legends doesn't have a monopoly on all warbirds. Of the list I quoted, I don't think they had a B-25, Anson, or Lysander this year. Obviously there are a number of P-51 and DC-3s. Potentially the B-17 could come over for a fly past again.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

CJS wrote:

All trainers ..no heavy fighters or bombers in that lot ...still leaves a huge gap ,maybe a Canberra can be a viable option?
Such a shame XH558 can't be there!

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

The only think that would make this "special"is sheer numbers of RAF assets being committed to the show...
Seeing all the pre-war stuff and those from the Wars is all very well and good but it's then basically your average duxford / shuttleworh show tbh ,however worthy the items are it's still can't hide the huge gap of non flying post war aircraft we are left with.

austinp

Post by austinp »

If Fairford was not available next year, then the commentators failed to mention that. They did a good(ish) job at promoting it. (They also constantly plugged Scampton...are tickets not selling??).

Regardless, I've accommodation booked for 2018 :-)

I am worried, maybe that's not the word to use, about the ever decreasing types with air arms, what future holds the airshow? Maybe this question needs a separate thread...

CJS

Post by CJS »

AARDVARK wrote:
CJS wrote:

All trainers ..no heavy fighters or bombers in that lot ...still leaves a huge gap ,maybe a Canberra can be a viable option?

All trainers? Eh...?

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

CJS wrote:
AARDVARK wrote:
CJS wrote:

All trainers? Eh...?

Well most of them ...

Anyway you know what I meant !

CJS

Post by CJS »

To be honest not really. No bombers from that era perhaps - although Tornado pilots from the 1980s would disagree - but the Meteor and Hunter must surely be two of the most versatile , significant and of course gorgeous front line jets the RAF has ever had. To *not* have them in any kind of celebration would be akin to not bothering with a Typhoon - in fact it would probably be worse.

Not (just) you, but plenty of people seem to think the only cold war jet we ever had was a Vulcan, particularly amongst currently or recently flying examples.

Think of what front line combat jets - in theory - could be put up for a celebration from that apparently 'lost' era: Phantoms, Harriers, Jaguars, Hunters, Meteors, Tornados, Vampires. Add to that C-130s, Jet Provosts, Gnats, Hawks - they're all as relevant to the 1945 - 1991ish era as some of them are to today's RAF.

*in theory* it could be an extraordinary display of what the RAF had during the cold war. I don't expect it will be, but that's not my point. :-)

Steve p

Post by Steve p »

Agreed but still missing possibly the most iconic of the RAF kit during the cold war, V-bombers, EE Lightning and my old fave the Buccaneer.