RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Big Eric

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by Big Eric »

parsley wrote:
daveseth wrote:hi,
not heard of any out of the ordinary a/c arriving with mod for the seat problem or techs if needed to do the modification...

regards,
dave...

Depends on which components needed replacing.....if only small and not containing any of the explosive parts they could have just sent them into Heathrow on an American carrier as airfreight and trucked them....or alternatively Mildenhall on a scheduled movement

The replacement parts (that's IF they needed replacements) could have arrived on the C-17 yesterday morning.

Kevyboy1979

Post by Kevyboy1979 »

pb643 wrote:
Stu666 wrote:Has anybody got a definitive answer as to what is going on with the RAF100 Flypast on the Friday? I've heard differing theories so far, "up to 100 aircraft", "up to 50 aircraft", "Friday Only" and just today I read it's now happening on all three days???

Would be good to know for sure because if RIAT gets a cut-down flypast, I may attend Buckingham Palace on the 10th. Doubt we'll ever see anything of this scale again.

As far as I am aware, there has been no public announcement of participants in any of these flypast, either at RIAT or over London.

I am however aware that there some are RAF types participating over London, that are not doing so over RIAT and so that would imply the RIAT flypast/s are smaller. I can't imagine that there is scope to add any further RAF aircraft at RIAT to make up for any lost compared with London. Though the RIAT flypasts could include historic/foreign operators? The rumour I heard was for 109 over London. I am guessing this is made up of 9 Reds, 5/6 or even 8 BBMF? Leaving the remainder as current RAF/JHC inventory (6 Chinooks, 19 Typhoon to make the 100?)

From what I recall, Friday RIAT tickets were sold on the basis the flypast taking place that day was unique. Yet there seems to be a NOTAM in place for the same time period and airspace each day.

I really can't add any more.

Yes there has been a public announcement about the RIAT Flypast, Check this link from RIAT website.

https://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/visit ... 00-flypast

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Kevyboy1979 wrote:
pb643 wrote:
Stu666 wrote:Has anybody got a definitive answer as to what is going on with the RAF100 Flypast on the Friday? I've heard differing theories so far, "up to 100 aircraft", "up to 50 aircraft", "Friday Only" and just today I read it's now happening on all three days???

Would be good to know for sure because if RIAT gets a cut-down flypast, I may attend Buckingham Palace on the 10th. Doubt we'll ever see anything of this scale again.

As far as I am aware, there has been no public announcement of participants in any of these flypast, either at RIAT or over London.

I am however aware that there some are RAF types participating over London, that are not doing so over RIAT and so that would imply the RIAT flypast/s are smaller. I can't imagine that there is scope to add any further RAF aircraft at RIAT to make up for any lost compared with London. Though the RIAT flypasts could include historic/foreign operators? The rumour I heard was for 109 over London. I am guessing this is made up of 9 Reds, 5/6 or even 8 BBMF? Leaving the remainder as current RAF/JHC inventory (6 Chinooks, 19 Typhoon to make the 100?)

From what I recall, Friday RIAT tickets were sold on the basis the flypast taking place that day was unique. Yet there seems to be a NOTAM in place for the same time period and airspace each day.

I really can't add any more.

Yes there has been a public announcement about the RIAT Flypast, Check this link from RIAT website.

https://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/visit ... 00-flypast

Read his comment again. It says announcement on participation, which that isn’t. It simply says what is expected, nothing at all on confirmations.

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Definitely more of the BBMF are taking part on the Friday than the weekend...

13th July - RAF Fairford (RIAT) Time TBC - LHHSSSSD

14th July - RAF Fairford (RIAT) Time TBC - LHHSD

15th July - RAF Fairford (RIAT) Time TBC - LHHSD

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Oh, goody.....live streaming of RIAT....
Can't make it to this year's Air Tattoo or want to watch it again? We've teamed up with PlanesTV to bring you a new and improved live stream service. You can watch from just £10 by purchasing your live stream access HERE*.

PlanesTV will be broadcasting live from cameras situated around RAF Fairford on Friday 13, Saturday 14 and Sunday 15 July to bring you an amazing live experience, wherever you are in the world.

Log in, sit back and watch the world's greatest airshow from the comfort of your own home! Tickets give access to live broadcast and also a video on demand replay until midnight on Sunday 22 July, so you can watch it again and again!

* Here being https://watch.planestv.com/riat2018/ ( £10 per day, or £20 for all 3 days )
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Brevet Cable wrote:Oh, goody.....live streaming of RIAT....
Can't make it to this year's Air Tattoo or want to watch it again? We've teamed up with PlanesTV to bring you a new and improved live stream service. You can watch from just £10 by purchasing your live stream access HERE*.

PlanesTV will be broadcasting live from cameras situated around RAF Fairford on Friday 13, Saturday 14 and Sunday 15 July to bring you an amazing live experience, wherever you are in the world.

Log in, sit back and watch the world's greatest airshow from the comfort of your own home! Tickets give access to live broadcast and also a video on demand replay until midnight on Sunday 22 July, so you can watch it again and again!

* Here being https://watch.planestv.com/riat2018/ ( £10 per day, or £20 for all 3 days )

Let's just hope their streaming is a lot better than the attempt at RAF Cosford.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

rdchawk wrote:
Let's just hope their streaming is a lot better than the attempt at RAF Cosford.

I agree and I was very disappointed with it. At one point there was a long pause between two displays and they showed a part of the crowd for about 15 minutes, in the foreground there was an enormously fat bloke eating a burger, I don't think he had any teeth in his mouth as it went on, and on, and on................................... :grin:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Nothing's changed then.
The prolonged crowd shots - of the same section of the crowd, despite there actually being a flying display going on - is one of their fortes, together with prolonged shots of fire engines ( and other emergency vehicles ) and empty sectors of sky. :lol:
아직도 숨어있다

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Brevet Cable wrote:Nothing's changed then.
The prolonged crowd shots - of the same section of the crowd, despite there actually being a flying display going on - is one of their fortes, together with prolonged shots of fire engines ( and other emergency vehicles ) and empty sectors of sky. :lol:

I thought the Cosford live-stream on Youtube was awful, especially with all of the annoying comments that get posted by total idiots, chavs and people that clearly don't have a clue and have never been to primary school to learn the English language.

It was a total embarrassment, does anyone know why they allow this idiotic chat function?

Kevyboy1979

Post by Kevyboy1979 »

Still don't know why PlanesTV cut out the Spanish F-18 Hornet from last year's RIAT dvd?......Hopefully their streaming is better than Cosford for those who pay to watch RIAT.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

[quote="Brevet Cable"]Oh, goody.....live streaming of RIAT....
[quote]We've teamed up with PlanesTV to bring you a new and improved live stream service./quote]

So is it new, or improved? Can't be both.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Kevyboy1979 wrote:Still don't know why PlanesTV cut out the Spanish F-18 Hornet from last year's RIAT dvd?......

To give the authentic Saturday experience?

Thomas Beting

Post by Thomas Beting »

RAF C-17 Confirmed fro static by the 99 Squadron. I don't know if it had already been confirmed. It'll probably be the one with the 100 stickers so we will probably get to see

it take off

Tom

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Kevyboy1979 wrote:Still don't know why PlanesTV cut out the Spanish F-18 Hornet from last year's RIAT dvd?......Hopefully their streaming is better than Cosford for those who pay to watch RIAT.

I too was hugely disappointed in this and would love to know why. It was my favourite display of the weekend. Thankfully some great quality videos exist online, though the danger is that at any point they could vanish should the uploader delete them. I would have liked to own it!

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

https://twitter.com/99sqn/status/100912 ... 33376?s=21

Looks like 99 sqn just found out they’re sending a C-17 to RIAT :grin:

looking like they want to send the RAF100 sticker airframe as Thomas said.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

FarnboroJohn wrote:So is it new, or improved? Can't be both.

It could be....
If they haven't done a live feed from RIAT before, it'll be new.
If it's not as crap as feeds they've done from elsewhere ( omitting the previously mentioned footage of the crowd, for example ) then it'll be improved.
:biggrin:
아직도 숨어있다

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

I thought the plan was all stickered aircraft in the flypast?
Whisky Connoisseur

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

rdchawk wrote:I thought the plan was all stickered aircraft in the flypast?

Where did you hear that?

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Tmyers123 wrote:

Where did you hear that?

Can't remember where but I'm sure I read that's why the aircraft have the same stickers and no special markings.
Whisky Connoisseur

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

rdchawk wrote:
Tmyers123 wrote:

Where did you hear that?

Can't remember where but I'm sure I read that's why the aircraft have the same stickers and no special markings.

Maybe, but I think they have no special markings purely due to the budget to be honest, and the corporate sticker is all they could do considering they are marking up a number of aircraft. But they did do the special scheme on the 230 sqn Puma for NTM, which I would love for them to send to RIAT. There is a Puma down for static, but let’s just hope that’s the airframe that’s sent. And if not, maybe it will be in the flypasts over the weekend considering it still has the ( :sleepy: )stickers plastered on it.

st24

Post by st24 »

Tmyers123 wrote:
rdchawk wrote:
Tmyers123 wrote:

Where did you hear that?

Maybe, but I think they have no special markings purely due to the budget to be honest, and the corporate sticker is all they could do considering they are marking up a number of aircraft. But they did do the special scheme on the 230 sqn Puma for NTM, which I would love for them to send to RIAT. There is a Puma down for static, but let’s just hope that’s the airframe that’s sent. And if not, maybe it will be in the flypasts over the weekend considering it still has the ( :sleepy: )stickers plastered on it.

Given that the Tiger cab has the stickers too then one can only assume that will be the "official" Puma for the year. That said they couldn't be arsed to send it to Cosford even though it was airborne the day before so who knows..
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

https://www.airtattoo.com/news/2018/jun/20/air-tattoo-takes-raf100-international
One of the biggest public demonstrations of RAF air and ground capability will be on display at this summer's Royal International Air Tattoo as part of international celebrations marking the Royal Air Force centenary.

Fast jets, transports, surveillance and training aircraft will be joined by warbirds from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight as the airshow showcases the Royal Air Force's past, present and future.

Among more than 300 aircraft due to take part in the Air Tattoo will be in excess of 40 aircraft from RAF stations across the UK. These include some of the biggest, newest and most rarely-seen - such as the Phenom trainer, the RAF's multi-engine aircrew training aircraft; the Voyager, an air-to-air refuelling and strategic air transport and the RC-135W Rivet Joint, the RAF's electronic surveillance aircraft. And, of course, adding a splash of colour to the centenary celebrations will be the world's greatest aerobatic display team - the RAF Red Arrows.

Also helping bring the RAF's history to life will be a number of civilian operated historic aircraft including the Hawker Hunter, Gloster Meteor, de Havilland Vampire and de Havilland Tiger Moth.

This summer's global salute, which takes place at RAF Fairford on July 13-15, will also feature exciting aircraft from a number of Coalition Partners as well as the UK's European, Commonwealth and Middle Eastern allies such as France, Ukraine, Italy, Canada, Germany, the US and Romania.

Whilst each of the three days will feature more than seven hours' flying, on the Friday only, visitors will be treated to a special RAF Flypast, a Royal Review of Aircraft and a parade by service personnel from the Queen's Colour Squadron. Over the weekend there are plans to stage other special RAF formations, details of which will be confirmed soon.
아직도 숨어있다

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

st24 wrote:Given that the Tiger cab has the stickers too then one can only assume that will be the "official" Puma for the year. That said they couldn't be arsed to send it to Cosford even though it was airborne the day before so who knows..

Oh, come on..... :whistle:

Is this really the case?

Tangoringo

Post by Tangoringo »

Or Abingdon which is their ‘local’ event.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Gonzo230 wrote:
st24 wrote:Given that the Tiger cab has the stickers too then one can only assume that will be the "official" Puma for the year. That said they couldn't be arsed to send it to Cosford even though it was airborne the day before so who knows..

Oh, come on..... :whistle:

Is this really the case?

Yes, it wasn't there. :grin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/