RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by boff180 »

It happened in 2008 via a prize draw, 6 FRIAT were taken out to shoot flying assets during the royal parade in the follow me vehicles. Can’t see why it couldn’t happen again.

RIAT Air Ops

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

Canuck84 wrote:
Chrisse wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAdGhMRBbzY[/youtube]

:clap: Bravo Sir...Picard nailed it. This thread is great, and frequently hilarious. Asking modern (often-shortstaffed) armed forces to confirm sending static display aircraft 6 MONTHS prior is fairly silly. Being Canadian I sincerely hope that my comrades pull through and manage to send all 3 confirmed static aircraft to RIAT 2018, but I'd bet dollars to Jelly Doughnuts that only 2 of those 3 aircraft end up on the ground at Fairford.

A lot can happen between now and July. The more statics DBH "confirm" now, the more likely they are to cancel. I feel much more comfortable having statics confirmed in May/June when aircraft hours and serviceability are easier to predict.

So there's our case. The RCAF have confirmed to us in writing that their intent is to send the aircraft that we have announced. We can do no more and yes, a lot can happen between now and then but as of now .........

Tom

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

edhunter wrote:Do the drivers of the follow me cars get a choice of which aircraft to lead, who they get a chance of photographing the aircraft behind them and is there any special training required?

In terms of choice, then not really. What will happen when an inbound is on approach, the Ground controller will ask for a Leader to "lead the approaching xxx which is parking in Apron yyy" (plus any particular location it is expected to vacate the runway).

If outbound, or prior to display, Ground will again make a broadcast asking for a Leader to lead the "xxx on Apron yyy to holding point zzz".

For both type of requests, it's up to the Leaders to get in first with a response! I'm sure that there is a bit of manoeuvring on their part to position themselves in a good location to respond to a juicy aircraft.

They will also be talking to each other on their own radio net to sort out who responds to which request.

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

Gonzo230 wrote:
edhunter wrote:Do the drivers of the follow me cars get a choice of which aircraft to lead, who they get a chance of photographing the aircraft behind them and is there any special training required?

In terms of choice, then not really. What will happen when an inbound is on approach, the Ground controller will ask for a Leader to "lead the approaching xxx which is parking in Apron yyy" (plus any particular location it is expected to vacate the runway).

If outbound, or prior to display, Ground will again make a broadcast asking for a Leader to lead the "xxx on Apron yyy to holding point zzz".

For both type of requests, it's up to the Leaders to get in first with a response! I'm sure that there is a bit of manoeuvring on their part to position themselves in a good location to respond to a juicy aircraft.

They will also be talking to each other on their own radio net to sort out who responds to which request.

Thanks

Duffer

Post by Duffer »

I think it just whoever is available at the time an aircraft needs a follow me car.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Duffer wrote:

I think it just whoever is available at the time an aircraft needs a follow me car.

There's a few videos on YouTube covering RIAT departures with ATC comms on and its just a case of whoever is available or nearest to whichever aircraft needs one.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

edhunter wrote:who they get a chance of photographing the aircraft behind them and is there any special training required?
I guess (or, I really hope) they hardly or not get the opportunity to photograph the aircraft they are leading. Their attention should be on their driving as they don't only have millions of dollars worth of hardware behind them, they also have millons worth of dollars on their side which they drive past. As when there are RIAT leaders drivng over Fairford, the base is an active airfield, there is indeed special training required. In the past I've seen tweets from when leaders had their meets and training.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Usually the shots of taxiing aircraft are from the show photography team/planes TV sitting in the boot of the follow me with the door open.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I remember that PReoch god some really cools shots a couple of years ago when he was in one. Think it was a MFG P-3...

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Tommy wrote:I remember that PReoch god

Flattery will get you Cosford preferential passes or what Tommy? :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

capercaillie wrote:

Aha. Pretty much. I have to say “Spotty Jag” in the mirror three times before I can go to sleep. It’s a curse really.

Cole

Post by Cole »

Tommy wrote:
capercaillie wrote:

Aha. Pretty much. I have to say “Spotty Jag” in the mirror three times before I can go to sleep. It’s a curse really.

Is it alright if i squeeze in your backpack on the way in :lol: :lol: :tongue: :wink:
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

Cole

Post by Cole »

TijnvandeBeld wrote:
Pringles wrote:
TijnvandeBeld wrote:
Milguy22 wrote:
Flare Path wrote:Maybe the same one as in 2016, Miss Helen - providing it's OK to fly (this year) after the minor September incident?

Presuambly, there's only a select number that are signed off to be part of the HF anyway and that particular airframe would be the obvious choice, one would think.

What about Big Beautiful Doll? Do I recall that doing something at RIAT with a heritage flight. Might be mistaken though.

If I’m correct Big Beautiful doll crashed in 2016 resulting in w/o....

Try 2011

I just read a post on internet stating that there were actually 3 P-51’s painted to represent Big Beautiful Doll. One is on static display in the IWM, the other two sadly crashed, the first during Flying Legends (2011) and the other in 2016

AND the 2/3? Titan mustang viewtopic.php?f=32&t=80171
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

According to an email this morning they are adding another 100 seats to the FRIAT grandstand at the west end.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

You beat me to it lol...

Notice they haven’t put the clocks back for post timings on UKAR ...haha

harkins

Post by harkins »

Based on last years stand, that would likely work out as 9 extra columns of seats.

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

LATEST UPDATE: 01/03/2018

The Spanish national aerobatic team, Patrulla Aguila, have confirmed their attendance at RIAT 2018 with their seven CASA C-101 jet trainers.
This week members of the team are at the European Airshow Council Convention in Antwerp, as well as an International Military Air Show Coordinators (IMASC) event.

we have an early update guys

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

edhunter wrote:LATEST UPDATE: 01/03/2018

The Spanish national aerobatic team, Patrulla Aguila, have confirmed their attendance at RIAT 2018 with their seven CASA C-101 jet trainers.
This week members of the team are at the European Airshow Council Convention in Antwerp, as well as an International Military Air Show Coordinators (IMASC) event.

I’ll get in first...........Meh!
Got to love Russianhardware

FullCarrot

Post by FullCarrot »

edhunter wrote:LATEST UPDATE: 01/03/2018

Toilet break sorted then!

Gripenjetphotos

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

Nice update :smile:
I am impartial to a bit of jet noise.

Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

That’s lunch

Only joking...last time I saw them at Zaragoza they weren’t bad ,mind you the weather was perfect and it was a home crowd !
Last edited by AARDVARK on Thu 01 Mar 2018, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Think they'll still be an update at lunchtime??
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

rdchawk wrote:Think they'll still be an update at lunchtime??

Don’t think so,they stated they wanted to give update now before any weather disrupted operations!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

I was hoping for more snow! :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

harkins

Post by harkins »

Perhaps not the most exciting update as I think we knew it was coming sooner or later due to their fairly official self confirmation. That brings us to 33 aircraft in total (assuming each solo fast jet display has a spare). So to match last year we have 213 aircraft to come over the next 18 Thursdays. I wonder when it'll really start ramping up..