RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
harkins

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by harkins »

capercaillie wrote:
aviodromefriend wrote:
FullCarrot wrote:knowing that people around the globe get to enjoy the best of UK Aviation because lets face it, the Reds are the best display team in the world,
Number 5 in Europe, nowadays not even close to Patrula Aguilla.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Well that cheered me up.

I've just seen a post over on FC that links to the Spanish Air Force website and it appears that we'll get another chance to compare the Reds with Aguilla and maybe judge who truly are the best!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

The good thing is, 45 minutes is far more than a loo break. :cool:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

harkins wrote:
capercaillie wrote:
aviodromefriend wrote:
FullCarrot wrote:knowing that people around the globe get to enjoy the best of UK Aviation because lets face it, the Reds are the best display team in the world,
Number 5 in Europe, nowadays not even close to Patrula Aguilla.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Well that cheered me up.

I've just seen a post over on FC that links to the Spanish Air Force website and it appears that we'll get another chance to compare the Reds with Aguilla and maybe judge who truly are the best!

They seem to rotate, so given the Tifon in 2016, Hornet in 2017, I was thinking it would be either Patrulla Aguila's turn to come back, or Patrulla Aspa's turn (though, Aspa seem to avoid Fairford).

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Probably in the few - but I'm quite happy they are appearing, everyone has their own loves and hates.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

rdchawk wrote:Probably in the few - but I'm quite happy they are appearing, everyone has their own loves and hates.

Nah man, I love team hairdryer. :love:
Not long left for those unique little CASA 101s, so I'd like to see them. :up:

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Tommy wrote:
rdchawk wrote:Probably in the few - but I'm quite happy they are appearing, everyone has their own loves and hates.

Nah man, I love team hairdryer. :love:
Not long left for those unique little CASA 101s, so I'd like to see them. :up:

Hahaha - It is a distinctive sound they make.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

The Patrulla Aguila have certainly upped their game over the recent few years and I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised as to how good they are! They include tail slides by the solo in their display too!

I think they headlined SIAF 2016 and won the award for best team display
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds5NxqMOwJI

I just hope that the RIAT FDD gives them a better slot to fly in - usually they are first to fly in the programme, which when the weather isn't great has resulted in cancelled displays or flat displays!

I am looking forward to seeing them again!

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Ooooo Friat Forum on Friday 13th April. I won't make it but anyone here planning on going ? Friday 13th is just a bit sketchy :lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

Berf

Post by Berf »

Great - look forward to seeing them again

kinglear27

Post by kinglear27 »

Airwolfhound wrote:Ooooo Friat Forum on Friday 13th April. I won't make it but anyone here planning on going ? Friday 13th is just a bit sketchy :lol:

I’m a FRIAT member for the first time this year - thought it would be a good investment with it being RAF100. What normally happens at the FRIAT forum?

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

Can't get the link to work to RSVP, anyone else having any trouble?
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Sadly I don't think I can spare that day off :(
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

harkins

Post by harkins »

I'm also curious as to what happens at the FRIAT forum too. By April I'd imagine it occurs far too late for anything meaningful to be discussed or said that would have an impact on the event generally or for FRIAT members. And I presume they don't reveal any exciting participants and swear everyone to secrecy do they.

Regarding Patrulla Aguila, I wonder if a new/revised paint scheme would help. I know it doesn't change what or how they fly, but unless I'm mistaken, I'm sure they've not changed their scheme since 1991 and it was better then. They always look a lot like toys to me.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

They flew in standard colours up to then. I wouldn't mind a couple of standard ones over for the static park to be honest, they're neat aircraft in a neat scheme.

Don't think a change of scheme would do anything, cutting 15 minutes off their routine would help them greatly, too many manoeuvres where nothing really happens, tighten it all up. I wonder if Aspa will ever make RIAT?
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

kinglear27

Post by kinglear27 »

Ian G wrote:Can't get the link to work to RSVP, anyone else having any trouble?

Think you have to click the link and get rid of the SECOND https//
Last edited by kinglear27 on Fri 16 Feb 2018, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harkins

Post by harkins »

So is their display notably longer than their contemporaries displays? Or does it just feel like it is?

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

IIRC the last time they came to Fairford, Tom posted something like Aguilla needed 60 minutes for a display.

While at display teams, I stumbled upon the schedule of the PC-7 team, and they say Friday is for a training?
Royal International Air Tattoo

13.07.2018–15.07.2018 Fairford, GB

Training: 13. Jul -
Display: 14. Jul -
Display: 15. Jul -
from https://www.pc7-team.ch/de/agenda.html
Last edited by aviodromefriend on Fri 16 Feb 2018, 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

At the FRIAT forum there are usually various presentations about the success of last year's show, plans for this year's show and time for questions. They have in the past announced a participant, iirc Team Zues and Wings of Storm debuts were announced at FRIAT forums. Other than that there is the excellent lunch.

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

Can I please ask what is the British air displays association symposium?

Berf

Post by Berf »

edhunter wrote:Can I please ask what is the British air displays association symposium?

Try this http://www.bada-uk.com/2018/01/agenda-for-pre-season-air-display-flying-and-training-symposium-2018/

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I meant to return to this:

capercaillie wrote:They flew in standard colours up to then. I wouldn't mind a couple of standard ones over for the static park to be honest, they're neat aircraft in a neat scheme.

Objectively, it's probably pretty cool because it's rarely seen these days, but I think the standard scheme is not as good looking as the display scheme. I don't wanna be "that guy" who humble brags with his own guff, but...

My own guff; so that people can compare/consider themselves:

ImageMur to Sea by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageDual Mode Trainers by Tom Jones, on Flickr

However, I agree, I'd like to see one of their "standard" machines grace the static park, given the rarity value. Logistically I don't see why this couldn't happen - it's flying from the same place as Pat. Ag., their machines can clearly make the distance, and any support/spares needed will be the same as any of the Pat. Ag. jets anyway. But then, I don't have anything to do with airshows, aircraft, or logistics, so maybe an extra machine is exceedingly difficult. IDK.

TBF, anything from Spain would be great, really. We've been lucky enough to have seen '295s, SF-5s(or T-38s?), Typhoons and a Hornet in the static park recently, and they're awesome, but Spain has some veritable gems that would be up there with the stars of a static display, Tigres, NH90s, Super Pumas/Cougars, Hueys (?), C101s, camo Herks, P-3s, AV-8s, Sea Kings, Sea Hawks, Hughes 500s.

I suppose, same as many other nations on our doorstep. All this "August 1st" business, fair enough, but there's an absolute treasure trove right on our doorstep. Don't want to fawn, but it warmed the heart to see TomG on Twitter get almost as excited about those SF-5Ms in 2015 as we did. :grin:

F-5F

Post by F-5F »

Why should Spain send a shed load of stuff when they hardly ever get anything from us? Think we have already been very lucky with their generosity in recent years.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

What is it this year with the rash of "XYZ shouldn't send any aircraft to RIAT because we don't send any to their airshows" posts ?

RIAT's supposed to be the biggie which all Countries want to attend.
It's essentially a form of willy-waving for Countries air arms to show off their kit & the talent of their pilots.
Did we send any aircraft to Korean airshows when the Black Eagles attended ( 2012 ? )
Did we send any aircraft to Russian airshows when they used to attend ?
So why is it now the mantra of some that Countries should only send aircraft to UK shows if we do the same to them ?
:dizzy:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

F-5F wrote:Why should Spain send a shed load of stuff when they hardly ever get anything from us? Think we have already been very lucky with their generosity in recent years.

Are we going to post this every time something gets confirmed? :roll: