RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
aviodromefriend

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by aviodromefriend »

Kevyboy1979 wrote:Can anyone confirm if what I said about Belgian A-109 displaying at RIAT and Cosford might be true or not?
Just read the 79 pages already in the thread and your answer is somewhere in there. (P.S. shame about the Titanic, don't you think?)
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Kevyboy1979 wrote:
Hog wrote:I think a B-1 fly past or the A-10 display team appearing would be the icing on the cake for this years show, the aircraft announced so far are amazing considering it is only April, well done RIAT.

A-10 Thunderbolt demo and USMC Harrier demo would be icing for me as I do miss the Harrier a lot....Can anyone confirm if what I said about Belgian A-109 displaying at RIAT and Cosford might be true or not?

Yes it might be true or not.

TijnvandeBeld

Post by TijnvandeBeld »

Kevyboy1979 wrote:
Spotty_Jag wrote:
Wrexham Mackem wrote:There has been no Dutch F-16 display on the circuit for several years now, and there are no plans for it to return, so that's a definite no. Not sure whether the Apache is displaying this year though, somebody will know.

RNLAF haven't supported an Apache solo display for a number of years now so I can't see it coming back. My guess it that their participation will be announced this week and will be an assortment of statics including one heavy (KDC-10 or C-130H), plus a helicopter (probably CH-47F) and a couple of F-16AMs too. All of which are warmly welcomed additions to a growing static park.[/quot

That's a shame about the Dutch F-16 and Apache as they looked brilliant in their bright orange colours and they also gave one hell of a display....Yes whatever they send will be welcome as always just hope they send an F-16 in those bright colours for static.

Unfortunately the F-16 with the bright colours has been repainted to plain grey after their last display season. The best looking RNLAF F-16 is the J-882, you should google it! Looks nice

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

Kevyboy1979 wrote:Can anyone confirm if what I said about Belgian A-109 displaying at RIAT and Cosford might be true or not?

Since it seems at times that a simple answer is the last thing a simple question receives - yes, the Belgian A-109 is down to display at both shows.

JJC

Post by JJC »

Kevyboy1979 wrote:
Spotty_Jag wrote:
Wrexham Mackem wrote:There has been no Dutch F-16 display on the circuit for several years now, and there are no plans for it to return, so that's a definite no. Not sure whether the Apache is displaying this year though, somebody will know.

RNLAF haven't supported an Apache solo display for a number of years now so I can't see it coming back. My guess it that their participation will be announced this week and will be an assortment of statics including one heavy (KDC-10 or C-130H), plus a helicopter (probably CH-47F) and a couple of F-16AMs too. All of which are warmly welcomed additions to a growing static park.[/quot

That's a shame about the Dutch F-16 and Apache as they looked brilliant in their bright orange colours and they also gave one hell of a display....Yes whatever they send will be welcome as always just hope they send an F-16 in those bright colours for static.

‘A number of years’ being 1 year. They were on the circuit during 2016. No info doing the rounds about a demo this year - I would’ve thought we’d know by now if the RNLAF intended to field the Apache for 2018, they’ve usually been pretty active on social media/their websites in seasons gone by.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

harkins

Post by harkins »

I'll ask this question here as it's confirmed for Fairford. The USAF Heritage Flight appeared in 2016 and will appear again this year with an F-35 and a 'borrowed' Mustang. Looking at some photos online I see that they have flown with other combos such as P-51, F-4, F15 & F-22 and I've also seen F-86, P-38, F-16 and A-10s in the mix of what is often a 4 aircraft flight. So, do we get a 'light' version of two types because we're not in the states? But if they're borrowing a P-51, could they not borrow an F-15 or F-16 from USAFE? Or is it that on the two occasions I've referred to that the types based in Europe are not part of that seasons 4 ship?

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

The plan as far as I am aware is for a two ship, this isn’t “light” the Heritage Flight is practised and approved as two, three and four ships.

It isn’t as simple as getting aircraft to participate from other units. The pilots have to achieve PDA to take part in the Heritage Flight.

There are a set number of warbird pilots and types cleared to take part.
In addition the fast jet pilots happen to also be the solo display pilots. It therefore goes without saying that the fast jet types taking part are also limited to the solo demo teams that exist that season (with exception to the F-35).

Therefore, unless we also see the A-10, F-16 or F-22 teams come across which is extremely unlikely, you won’t see an additional jet in the flight and I’ve heard of no plans for a second cleared Heritage Flight warbird pilot to attend either.

Andy

Thomas Beting

Post by Thomas Beting »

The Belgians released the paint scheme for the F-16 Display, can someone send it here?

harkins

Post by harkins »

I see. I think we're on the same page but I'm not sure I explained myself very well. So if this year had just happened to have had an F-15 demo and that the F-15 had also been part of the Heritage Flight for this season, we might have had an F-15 in the Heritage flight at Fairford, possibly using a Lakenheath jet with the US based display pilot.

My question about it being a 'light' version was sort of based on the scenario where for example there was an A-10 demo on the US circuit and that the A-10 was also part of the Heritage flight on the US circuit but, with there being no A-10's based in Europe, they might have dropped the A-10 from the Fairford appearance rather than drag an A-10 all the way over the pond for one event.

Either way, I understand that the Heritage Flight this year at Fairford will only be a P-51 and F-35.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

In your hypothetical situation I'd only have expected the F-15 to be in the HF if the solo display was also performing at the same show. Eg: 2016 when we were (supposed) to have both the '35 and '22 in the HF.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Thomas Beting wrote:The Belgians released the paint scheme for the F-16 Display, can someone send it here?

In the aviation waffle.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Thomas Beting wrote:The Belgians released the paint scheme for the F-16 Display, can someone send it here?

Yes, that would be the Belgians.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

harkins wrote:I see. I think we're on the same page but I'm not sure I explained myself very well. So if this year had just happened to have had an F-15 demo and that the F-15 had also been part of the Heritage Flight for this season, we might have had an F-15 in the Heritage flight at Fairford, possibly using a Lakenheath jet with the US based display pilot.

My question about it being a 'light' version was sort of based on the scenario where for example there was an A-10 demo on the US circuit and that the A-10 was also part of the Heritage flight on the US circuit but, with there being no A-10's based in Europe, they might have dropped the A-10 from the Fairford appearance rather than drag an A-10 all the way over the pond for one event.

Either way, I understand that the Heritage Flight this year at Fairford will only be a P-51 and F-35.

There is no entity or display team called the ‘Heritage Flight’. It’s just more of a concept; allowing modern aircraft and warbirds to fly in close formation together, providing the non-military pilots have attended a joint FAA/USAF (I think) training course that takes place every year in the US.

If there’s a USAF demo pilot in a modern a/c, and a local warbird that can be flown by a qualified Heritage Flight pilot, then you have a Heritage Flight. No more than that.

harkins

Post by harkins »

Airshowhammer wrote:

In the aviation waffle.

Is the 'Avaition Waffle' a new Belgian transport aircraft large enough to carry an F-16?

Thanks Boff and Gonzo. I'm fully clued up on the USAF HF now.

duffspeed

Post by duffspeed »

Does anybody have any news on the Textron Scorpion? I'm sure it was mentioned last year that the plan was to have it in the flying display this year. Any rumours?

Thomas Beting

Post by Thomas Beting »

RIATAIROPS: “ Finally got there with detail but that Thursday update looking tidy“
Love the tease. What do you guys think they have in store for us?
He said this on twitter

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

A4

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Thomas Beting wrote:RIATAIROPS: “ Finally got there with detail but that Thursday update looking tidy“
He said this on twitter

I do love the comment saying could you let someone from UKAR know first to tell the whole world
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

rdchawk wrote:
Thomas Beting wrote:RIATAIROPS: “ Finally got there with detail but that Thursday update looking tidy“
He said this on twitter

I do love the comment saying could you let someone from UKAR know first to tell the whole world

Brilliant. :grin:

Nielis

Post by Nielis »

What are the changes that Moley will return with his genius riddles?

harkins

Post by harkins »

Nielis wrote:What are the changes that Moley will return with his genius riddles?

I think that if you read this short thread from last month it refers back to a 2016 vintage discussion about the demise of Moley.

Here's the key post:

Brevet Cable wrote:Meh!
This topic's been started about 2 weeks later than last year's one was....and 2 months later than the 2016 one.

:tongue:

Last seen in March 2015

I think 'capercaillie' summed it up perfectly in 2016 :
The mole is as good as extinct, the dual parasites of twitteritis and facebookii have rendered the species all but useless as it lies in a dormant stupor beneath the offices of DBH.

As soon as the species thinks, ah a snippet of news, a juicy morsel to get my conniving claws around, delivering a cryptic splurge of randomness, Solo Turk goes and spurts out he'll be at RIAT. When a first time act's news has fallen upon the top of the Mole's sensitive shaft and he puts together a tale of tongue twisters and anagrams not even a Countdown champion could decipher, the Polish Tigers team announce they are coming to Fairford.

Let's be honest, to be of any value from now on, he'll need to bribe foreign aircrews to stay away from social media or the little velvety furred one will quiz us no more.

harkins

Post by harkins »

Whilst trawling the thread I noticed that I'd posted the this question...

harkins wrote:I'm also curious as to what happens at the FRIAT forum too. By April I'd imagine it occurs far too late for anything meaningful to be discussed or said that would have an impact on the event generally or for FRIAT members. And I presume they don't reveal any exciting participants and swear everyone to secrecy do they?

Funny how that turned out to be the case.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

harkins wrote:...it refers back to a 2016 vintage discussion about the demise of Moley.

Given the current penchant for people releasing attendee announcements before DBH do so, maybe they could have a new rodent taking on the mantle....they could call it something snazzy like 'The RIAT Rat' :lol:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Wed 12 Sep 2018, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevyboy1979

Post by Kevyboy1979 »

OK so I just got my new Uniden UBC125XLT scanner so can anyone recommend the best channels to set as priority for RIAT?