RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Thomas Beting

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by Thomas Beting »

French Rafale pair just confirmed for Yeovliton, Hopefully coming to Riat! :yahoo:

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Just like they didn't last year?? :dunno:

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

ColeTheDemolisher wrote:
Pringles wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:2017 is going to take some beating!

Not if you went on Saturday it's not :whistle:

too right :mad: :mad:

Please tell me you are both joking?
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

Pringles wrote:

Can't agree; being there on the Saturday didn't in any way spoil my enjoyment of a fantastic week at Fairford.... :lol:

Seriously, the show on the Saturday was one of the best for many years, and I agree with Airshowhammer that it will take some beating. However, for anyone who only did the Saturday, I can imagine they would have mixed feelings when they discovered that the Sunday had been even better.... :smile: :sad:
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

In fairness the Friday had the big pass with the Reds and the Thunderbirds as well...the only day that didn't get a special pass was Saturday I believe.

If people are complaining about the low cloud base...well that's really not anyone's fault except for those that only went on Saturday for failing to predict the most predictable thing about every Fairford weekend...that at least one day of the weekend is likely to be poopy weather for at least part of it.

Gripenjetphotos

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

Go4Long wrote:In fairness the Friday had the big pass with the Reds and the Thunderbirds as well...the only day that didn't get a special pass was Saturday I believe.

If people are complaining about the low cloud base...well that's really not anyone's fault except for those that only went on Saturday for failing to predict the most predictable thing about every Fairford weekend...that at least one day of the weekend is likely to be poopy weather for at least part of it.

I imagine I would have been a little ticked off if I only went on Saturday. However, I did decide to go on Monday for the first time too, so in essence, I only missed the B-2 flying. I do understand though that a lot of people can go only one day and therefore have to pick a certain day.

Anyway, back to the 2018 show, lets get a Gripen confirmed soon! :smile:
I am impartial to a bit of jet noise.

Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

The Belgian F16 demo teams scheme this year is going by the name of ‘Dark Falcon’ flown by ‘Darth Vador’ i’m assuming an all black aircraft then!

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

At Sanicole last year it was mentioned 1 Sqn BAF were taking over the display duty. If they do go for a dark scheme like 'Vador' has posted. Something like the 80th anniversay Stingers jet "Blackbird III" would be much welcomed :drool:
Gary

jules48

Post by jules48 »

Friday
Friday will be a full show day with 7+ hours of flying - it will also feature an RAF Flypast and a Royal Review of Aircraft

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

jules48 wrote:Friday
Friday will be a full show day with 7+ hours of flying - it will also feature an RAF Flypast and a Royal Review of Aircraft

Yes, that's been known for months now.

jules48

Post by jules48 »

Apologies.I have not been keeping up to date.Tend not to look at 2018 airshows until January when the first announcements of confirmed and invited air forces are shown.

stevebrodie

Post by stevebrodie »

Seahornet wrote:
Pringles wrote:

Can't agree; being there on the Saturday didn't in any way spoil my enjoyment of a fantastic week at Fairford.... :lol:

Seriously, the show on the Saturday was one of the best for many years, and I agree with Airshowhammer that it will take some beating. However, for anyone who only did the Saturday, I can imagine they would have mixed feelings when they discovered that the Sunday had been even better.... :smile: :sad:

The B2 was due on Saturday, so Sunday visitors would have missed it instead, suppose its the chance you take if you can only visit one day. :sad:
Viper: Good morning, gentlemen, the temperature is 110 degrees

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

vulcanshammer wrote:
ColeTheDemolisher wrote:
Pringles wrote:

Vulcan, I can't speak for Cole but I was! I only did the full day on Saturday, and packed my tent away at Townsend on Sunday and saw bits and bobs, but based purely on what flew that day then yes, it won't take much to beat it for quality. I say that because items like the Midnight Hawks, Spanish Hornet and RAF Typhoon all either scrubbed immediately or flew only a few passes; that wasn't DBH's fault, but it means I hope 2018 fares a little better overall :biggrin:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

Pringles wrote:
vulcanshammer wrote:
ColeTheDemolisher wrote:
Pringles wrote:

Vulcan, I can't speak for Cole but I was! I only did the full day on Saturday, and packed my tent away at Townsend on Sunday and saw bits and bobs, but based purely on what flew that day then yes, it won't take much to beat it for quality. I say that because items like the Midnight Hawks, Spanish Hornet and RAF Typhoon all either scrubbed immediately or flew only a few passes; that wasn't DBH's fault, but it means I hope 2018 fares a little better overall :biggrin:

Fair enough Pringles, I thought you guys were referring to Sunday's special guest, rather than the weather. Fingers crossed for a clear weekend this time! :smile:
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

Suprised no-one has mentioned the rumoured USA tour for the Royal Jordanian Falcons? The first time they've missed RIAT in how many years if true? :shock:

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Spotty_Jag wrote:Suprised no-one has mentioned the rumoured USA tour for the Royal Jordanian Falcons? The first time they've missed RIAT in how many years if true? :shock:

I'd seen that, but assumed that the Spring timeframe rumoured would still see them back in Europe for July. I think they may have been ever-present since 79, I can't remember them not being there. Have they missed once since?

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Don't think they were there in 1991, Gulf issues?
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
Spotty_Jag wrote:Suprised no-one has mentioned the rumoured USA tour for the Royal Jordanian Falcons? The first time they've missed RIAT in how many years if true? :shock:

I'd seen that, but assumed that the Spring timeframe rumoured would still see them back in Europe for July. I think they may have been ever-present since 79, I can't remember them not being there. Have they missed once since?

I don't know about a Spring timeframe, but California International Airshow Salinas are suggesting that the Falcons will be flying:
Next year’s air show dates are Sept. 29 and 30 at Salinas Municipal Airport. Besides the Thunderbirds, the show will feature, for the first time in the U.S., the Royal Jordanian Falcon Team.

http://www.montereyherald.com/article/N ... /171219963
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

stevebrodie wrote:
Seahornet wrote:
Pringles wrote:

I never knew it was originally down for the Saturday, guess last year I really lucked out as my track record until 2017 had been pretty terrible picking the worst show day to go for the previous 3-4 years.

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Being a regular at Cosford I didnt think the weather on Saturday was THAT bad.. I also don't recall all that many aircraft being pulled from the display.
Sure , there was a few which Cancelled but it wasn't like the whole day was washed out.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Oh don't raise my hopes - it couldn't be true, could it?

Gripenjetphotos

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

And just at the moment when they release a new scheme... :tongue2:
I am impartial to a bit of jet noise.

Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

capercaillie wrote:Don't think they were there in 1991, Gulf issues?

Yup, just done a quick check Mr C, and you're quite right. 1991 it was.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

First thursday update of the year, then!

Swiss Hornet & PC-7 Team flying. Both very good participants. :up:

jason82wells

Post by jason82wells »

And so it begins - the Thursday lunchtime updates are back :win: