RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Luke28

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by Luke28 »

Lovely start and we're not even in the year of the show yet.

harkins

Post by harkins »

boff180 wrote:Yup RCAF F-18 confirmed.

No USAF solo displays are coming.
No USMC solo displays are coming.
No USAF/USN/RCAF teams are coming.

The Heritage Flight dates were not announced.
The USN solo display dates were not announced.

I was really getting my hopes up for the mother of all RIATs (this century) but this apparent no US participation is a bit of an early blow. Could it be that this years US anniversary will actually have been a better event than next years RAF anniversary?

Amp

Post by Amp »

Where does it imply no US participation?

harkins

Post by harkins »

Fair enough, it doesn't imply 'no' US participation, but as regards anything from the US doing a flying display, it doesn't look promising. I expect that an Eagle or two and a Stratotanker are fairly likely in the static line up and probably an Osprey too. I guess that after missing last years show with the Thunderbirds and Raptor displays and only making the Sunday with the aborted Raptor display the year before, I was on a personal level hoping to get to see some US displays next year and Boffs post does state no solo or team displays are scheduled.

Heater

Post by Heater »

Unless i have missed something....there is no confirmation in ACC's presentation that there will not be any participation in RIAT. If you have noticed, all solo display teams (F-22 / F-16 / A-10) have a gap in their schedules during RIAT's weekend. They perform in some other venues the weekend before (1-July) and the weekend after (22-July). So i guess nothing is over till DBH says it's over.

Just my 2c.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

IIRC last year, RIAT wasn't on the initial Thunderbirds schedule however on RIAT weekend it said "Open Date". A few days later that was announced to be RIAT.

Last night a number of the displays listed "Open Date" on a number of weekends however, on the F-22, F-16 and A-10 teams there was no "Open Date" listed for RIAT weekend in the schedules it just jumped to the next display in July.

Therefore - and I am more than happy to be proven wrong - at this time, the attendance of the solo teams in 2019 is looking highly unlikely. To get the Raptor two years on the trot was unprecedented - three would be a miracle! :grin:

2017 was the year of the USAF.... I'd much rather 2018 be the year of the RAF and the commonwealth :biggrin:

Heater

Post by Heater »

boff180 wrote:2017 was the year of the USAF.... I'd much rather 2018 be the year of the RAF and the commonwealth :biggrin:

Totally agree :up: !!!!....i'd rather see an Aussie F-18F (or a Jaguar from Indian AF) displaying, than the F-22 again!!!!. The thing is that that F-22 can be part of the flying display, the others might only be static.

harkins

Post by harkins »

boff180 wrote:2017 was the year of the USAF.... I'd much rather 2018 be the year of the RAF and the commonwealth :biggrin:

As I said, it's a bit personal as I unfortunately missed out on the Raptor (bar a take-off and almost immediate landing) in the last two years.

The problem with hoping for it being the year of the RAF is that the RAF has so little to display and barring a near miracle won't display it any way except for the Typhoon, the Red Arrows and possibly a Tutor. All other hope seems to be for types that had similar versions in RAF service to be supplied by airforces that are a long long way from Fairford and in most cases have very limited numbers of these old types left in service and don't have solo display routines. So the US are still pretty vital to having a great airshow regardless of the occasion.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

harkins wrote:the RAF has so little to display and barring a near miracle won't display it any way except for the Typhoon, the Red Arrows and possibly a Tutor

Chinook...BBMF....
:biggrin:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

harkins wrote:

As I said, it's a bit personal as I unfortunately missed out on the Raptor (bar a take-off and almost immediate landing) in the last two years.

The problem with hoping for it being the year of the RAF is that the RAF has so little to display and barring a near miracle won't display it any way except for the Typhoon, the Red Arrows and possibly a Tutor. All other hope seems to be for types that had similar versions in RAF service to be supplied by airforces that are a long long way from Fairford and in most cases have very limited numbers of these old types left in service and don't have solo display routines. So the US are still pretty vital to having a great airshow regardless of the occasion.

I don't think that's where all the hope lies at all. I would have thought that the emphasis may well be on getting participants from air arms that have been closely connected with the RAF during it's history. A lot of those would be commonwealth nations which explains the Canadian participation, but I would also expect other nations to want to celebrate such as the Czech, Polish and hopefully Slovak air forces who were an important part of the RAF story too.

Just my thoughts obviously and I'll be happy to be wrong when the Indian Jaguars, Spanish Harriers and Iranian Phantoms arrive.

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

Absolutely, whilst US participation is always welcome; a good turnout from nations with a link to the RAF or those who still fly ex-RAF types would make for a great show IMO. The RCAF CF-18 being an excellent start to the RAF100 theme.
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better

harkins

Post by harkins »

That's very fair Paul, I agree with that.

And it was naughty of me to miss off the BBMF before. Although I didn't think that the Chinook display was expected again next year.

Anyway, my hope fears and expectations are causing me to post hastily put together thoughts and several months ahead of time. I should just be happy that we've at the very least got a Hornet display to look forward to.

jason82wells

Post by jason82wells »

What might come over with the Hornet(s) as support during their stint in the UK?

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

jason82wells wrote:What might come over with the Hornet(s) as support during their stint in the UK?

All we have for support aircraft are C-17's and C-130's...maybe a CC-150 Polaris (Airbus A310)?

jason82wells

Post by jason82wells »

Go4Long wrote:
jason82wells wrote:What might come over with the Hornet(s) as support during their stint in the UK?

All we have for support aircraft are C-17's and C-130's...maybe a CC-150 Polaris (Airbus A310)?

Interesting that, hopefully whatever comes can double up as static too

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

So the Thursday-noon-refreshing-airtattoo.com-exercises can start-up again now? Oh wait, it is Wednesday today.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

aviodromefriend wrote:So the Thursday-noon-refreshing-airtattoo.com-exercises can start-up again now? Oh wait, it is Wednesday today.

Air tattoo is starting a day early...so are the emails :butt:

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

:grin: :grin:

I did think, 'this week's flying by, its Thursday already!' when that e-mail popped in this afternoon!

Great start, lets hope the scheme is as striking as this year's.

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Wrexham Mackem wrote::grin: :grin:

I did think, 'this week's flying by, its Thursday already!' when that e-mail popped in this afternoon!

Great start, lets hope the scheme is as striking as this year's.

The gentleman that designed this year's scheme, and all the last few year's schemes as well, retired this year (way to go out with a bang). I'm very interested to see what they do for next year. I hope they keep pushing the envelope.

Here's the last 4

2017 - Canada 150
Canada 150 Photo Pass by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

2016 - Commenwealth Air Training Plan
Hornet Fireworks by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

2015 - Battle of Britain (we unveiled ours before your Typhoon broke cover btw)
Battle of Britain by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

2014 - 90th Anniversary of the RCAF
Canada Proud by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

The unfortunate thing is next year's scheme celebrates 60 years of NORAD, the last special that came over in 2008 celebrated 50 years of NORAD and was probably the least exciting display CF-188 scheme of the last 15 years. Let's hope its more like one of the last four. :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

Does anyone on here think the air arm invites will be added to the website before or after Xmas?

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

edhunter wrote:Does anyone on here think the air arm invites will be added to the website before or after Xmas?

DBH shut down for Christmas tomorrow afternoon so you'll find out tomorrow one way or another :grin:

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

boff180 wrote:
edhunter wrote:Does anyone on here think the air arm invites will be added to the website before or after Xmas?

DBH shut down for Christmas tomorrow afternoon so you'll find out tomorrow one way or another :grin:
Tom has posted nothing will happen during Christmas, so, yes.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

CJS

Post by CJS »

I reckon you've answered your own question there. :grin:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

From an email this morning advertising pre-order of the 2018 programme...

The 2018 programme is going to be priced at £15 - and can be preordered for £12.

Last years was £12 on the day - that’s a 25% price increase for 2018.