RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
jason82wells

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by jason82wells »

AARDVARK wrote:The only think that would make this "special"is sheer numbers of RAF assets being committed to the show...
Seeing all the pre-war stuff and those from the Wars is all very well and good but it's then basically your average Duxford / shuttleworh show tbh ,however worthy the items are it's still can't hide the huge gap of non flying post war aircraft we are left with.

I'm with you on this one. I think we're looking at decent numbers by the RAF, a flypast & some F-35's.

Let's look at it from the RAF's perspective, it's not their airshow so surely they'll look to support their own more (Scampton/Cosford).

I wouldn't want to rely on the pockets of the MOD so I'm pinning my hopes on other countries who have been supported by & worked with the RAF supporting the show by sending stuff over...

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

jason82wells wrote:
Let's look at it from the RAF's perspective, it's not their airshow so surely they'll look to support their own more (Scampton/Cosford).

RIAT 2018 has been designated for some time as the official centenary event
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

CJS

Post by CJS »

The RAF said RIAT will be the centrepiece of their official birthday celebrations. (edit - Sam beat me to it!)

And Scampton is no more an RAF show than RIAT is. Cosford remains the only RAF show and I just don't think it's big enough to be the main event next year - although it should have the best static display (imagine what could be brought out for it, with enough planning and manpower :-o ) .

A flick through the excellent photo thread from the Bastille Day flypast in Paris last week makes you realise what could be achieved, and with current assets only, if enough importance is given to marking the centenary.

Imagine some kind of central flypast event with Typhoons, Tornados, F-35s, Hawks, Tucanos, C-130s, C-17s, A-400ms etc etc, plus whatever ex RAF stuff they can get... If it's going to happen at all, my guess is it'll happen next year at RIAT.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

jason82wells

Post by jason82wells »

That's good then - a step in the right direction & let's face it, rightly so they use RIAT, afterall it'll be seen by higher volumes.

I still think we're looking at a flypast only. I can see aircraft basing from Brize but it would be nice to see them take-off/land from Fairford.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

A Harrier is a must. Would be brilliant to get one in the flying.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

CJS wrote:To be honest not really. No bombers from that era perhaps - although Tornado pilots from the 1980s would disagree - but the Meteor and Hunter must surely be two of the most versatile , significant and of course gorgeous front line jets the RAF has ever had. To *not* have them in any kind of celebration would be akin to not bothering with a Typhoon - in fact it would probably
be worse.

Ok I'll spell it out for you if I must ...

All the a/c you mentioned were either trainers (jet provost,Gnat,even Hunter to some degree)all were around 1950,s vintage ,there is nothing to adequately represent the RAF front line from say 1965 to 1982(when tornado's entered service ,so you may have the trainer element (i.e. Gnats,JP's)but there is not much else kicking around that can fly from the era mentioned,meteors are circa 1945-1960.
But it's all the way you look at it I guess ,the way I see it is all the A/C that are synonymous when I was growing up (apart from the Tornado and Hawks)are now grounded ,and who is saying not having the A/C you mentioned ?

Not (just) you, but plenty of people seem to think the only cold war jet we ever had was a Vulcan, particularly amongst currently or recently flying examples.

Think of what front line combat jets - in theory - could be put up for a celebration from that apparently 'lost' era: Phantoms, Harriers, Jaguars, Hunters, Meteors, Tornados, Vampires. Add to that C-130s, Jet Provosts, Gnats, Hawks - they're all as relevant to the 1945 - 1991ish era as some of them are to today's RAF.

*in theory* it could be an extraordinary display of what the RAF had during the cold war. I don't expect it will be, but that's not my point. :-)

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

HHA Buccaneer is airworthy isn't it? :heyhey: Might be a long shot...
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

vulcanshammer wrote:HHA Buccaneer is airworthy isn't it? :heyhey: Might be a long shot...

Haha....
You never know ,just a shame that the climate isn't good for classic jets at moment,post Shoreham.

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

AARDVARK wrote:
vulcanshammer wrote:HHA Buccaneer is airworthy isn't it? :heyhey: Might be a long shot...

Haha....
You never know ,just a shame that the climate isn't good for classic jets at moment,post Shoreham.

Really?, We just had a display of the Viggen, 2 Jet Provosts, 4 Fouga Magisters, Mig-15 and 2 Vampires at Bray / Foynes over 2 days. I did not see many people Shrieking in Terror at these Toxic Aeroplanes (as often qouted here) being professionally displaying in front of the crowd.

Hopefully the climate is getting Warmer :smile:
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

tu16

Post by tu16 »

Yes, but you are in Eire, where there has not been a Shoreham-type accident. It would be interesting to see how other European regulators would have responded to a similar event taking place at an airshow in their country.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Suggest looking at Germany and Ramstein...

Steve p

Post by Steve p »

Is it actually airworthy now though?, i heard it was several years ago but nothing since and as it actually left the ground since its apparent certification.

CJS

Post by CJS »

AARDVARK wrote:
CJS wrote:To be honest not really. No bombers from that era perhaps - although Tornado pilots from the 1980s would disagree - but the Meteor and Hunter must surely be two of the most versatile , significant and of course gorgeous front line jets the RAF has ever had. To *not* have them in any kind of celebration would be akin to not bothering with a Typhoon - in fact it would probably
be worse.

Ok I'll spell it out for you if I must ...

All the a/c you mentioned were either trainers (jet provost,Gnat,even Hunter to some degree)all were around 1950,s vintage ,there is nothing to adequately represent the RAF front line from say 1965 to 1982(when tornado's entered service ,so you may have the trainer element (i.e. Gnats,JP's)but there is not much else kicking around that can fly from the era mentioned,meteors are circa 1945-1960.
But it's all the way you look at it I guess ,the way I see it is all the A/C that are synonymous when I was growing up (apart from the Tornado and Hawks)are now grounded ,and who is saying not having the A/C you mentioned ?

"but there is not much else kicking around that can fly from the era mentioned"

The Greeks, Indians, Spaniards and Americans would disagree. ;-)
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Steve p

Post by Steve p »

So ask the Indian airforce to kindly send a jag or 2, the yanks to send a few Harriers oh and a RB-57 from NASA add a few Greek F-4s, put them in RAF colours and nobody will know the difference. :grin:

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

Steve p wrote:

Is it actually airworthy now though?, i heard it was several years ago but nothing since and as it actually left the ground since its apparent certification.

I really don't know when it last flew, and it would appear it does not have flight certification at present. This is a quote from HHA's website regarding their Buccaneer.

'XX885 is currently in storage at HHA’s RAF Scampton facility undergoing regular anti-det maintenance and custodial ground runs. The aircraft, it’s systems and spares are maintained in such a condition that it can readily be reactivated to flight status should a contractual tasking arise which requires the performance & flight envelope of the Buccaneer platform.'

:dunno:
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better

Canuck84

Post by Canuck84 »

Canadian CF-18 Demo team will be at RIAT 2018. This was confirmed last weekend by members of the current team. The CF-18 will be painted in a commemorative RAF centenary paint scheme as well.

The original RCAF plan for the RAF 100th was to box up the Snowbirds (Not a joke) and ship them in a C-17 or 2, to Fairford. This plan was axed last month by high level Canadian Airforce officials when they found out how much that would cost.

This is gonna be a huge show...Can't wait!

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I'd have thought cost should be no issue for this event ;)

That's a shame,I was looking forward to that, but the Canadian Hornet demo will be equally welcome, especially if it's in as amazing a scheme as it has been of recent years.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Canuck84 wrote:Canadian CF-18 Demo team will be at RIAT 2018. This was confirmed last weekend by members of the current team.

Not 'confirmed' until officially confirmed by DBH....... :wink: :lol:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

And let's hope the arrival isn't a game of 'hide and seek' like the Chinook! :lol:
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

spellow3010 wrote:And let's hope the arrival isn't a game of 'hide and seek' like the Chinook! :lol:

True, but the departure made up for that :smile:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

spellow3010 wrote:And let's hope the arrival isn't a game of 'hide and seek' like the Chinook! :lol:

What do you mean?

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Has anyone that renewed FRIAT at the show heard anything yet? I forget when the monthly payment forms get sent out or should they already have been?

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

I thought there was a newsletter that you had to sign up before a date now already gone if you wanted to use monthly payments. So I think it is now a matter of paying in one go. But maybe you can contact DBH about this question?
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

G-CVIX wrote:Has anyone that renewed FRIAT at the show heard anything yet? I forget when the monthly payment forms get sent out or should they already have been?

I haven't heard anything yet. The deadline has passed for submitting renewal forms in if you wish to pay monthly, but nothing has come back to us.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

I think we didn't get a letter until September last year and standing orders began in October