Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by Airshowhammer »

That is rather nice :love:
Wonder what the Typhoon solo will have? Grey and another shade of grey? :dunno:

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Our jet is always so clean and fresh...

looks like they brought Jim Belliveau on as a design consultant, his designs are always top notch.

As for it being a "concept"...it's already got the jet number on it, so I'd say that's pretty close to final.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:
speedbird2639 wrote:The Antonov An-2 at Cosford '17 was like that - 19mph 'over the ground' speed!

I remember a vicious cross wind at a Lyneham families day many years ago, when the An-2 took off on the cross taxi way, and did almost take 5 minutes or more to go round and crab into an approach taking it down the runway at 250 odd feet.

Not sure what it’s ground speed was when it took off though, but it did look very slow.
Like it or not, this is THE trick of the An-2.

Makes the visit of an aircraft from the Baltic to RIAT a few years ago all the more something we should respect the crew for.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Berf

Post by Berf »

vulcanshammer wrote:RCAF have announced their 2018 CF-18 demo display scheme. Says concept but the release seems fairly official that this is the final design.

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5AF9DF41

looks good but the previous one looked spectacular

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

Can I ask all the fellow enthusiasts in here what has been your personal favourite riat moment, favourite riat show, favourite riat aircraft and first got you to riat?

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

edhunter wrote:Can I ask all the fellow enthusiasts in here what has been your personal favourite RIAT moment, favourite RIAT show, favourite RIAT aircraft and first got you to RIAT?

B2 flypast last year/Red Arrows salute to XH558/ 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain commemoration. Riat 2007. B-1B and in 2006 my father took me and all i remember was walking in and saying to a cadet when i was 10 years old ‘has the B-1B flown yet?’ When he said no i was well chuffed then straight after that seeing the VC10 flypast with the red arrows in blue skies got me hooked!

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Given that this is the discussion topic for RIAT 2018, methinks it would be better if that question was asked in it's own separate topic.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

jason82wells

Post by jason82wells »

Berf wrote:looks good but the previous one looked spectacular

agree with this - was hoping for something better with a bit more of a wow factor

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

From what i know, Ukraine would like to return. Whether that comes to fruition or not is anyones guess.

TijnvandeBeld

Post by TijnvandeBeld »

Airshowhammer wrote:From what i know, Ukraine would like to return. Whether that comes to fruition or not is anyones guess.

Could just be the star of the show again if it were to happen... You definitely won’t hear me complaining if they’re coming :love:

Cole

Post by Cole »

vulcanshammer wrote:RCAF have announced their 2018 CF-18 demo display scheme. Says concept but the release seems fairly official that this is the final design.

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5AF9DF41

Reminds me of the Thunderbirds a lil :smile:
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

jason82wells wrote:
Berf wrote:looks good but the previous one looked spectacular

agree with this - was hoping for something better with a bit more of a wow factor

Canada 150 was a special one. It was also Mr. Belliveau's official swan song as he retired at the end of last year, which made it all that much more special.

That being said, this one is quite nice, and if you read the description of what each of the design elements signifies it's a really nice interpretation of the theme.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

What's the likelihood of a FRIAT forum this year? I'm guessing there won't be one, as there wasn't one last year.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

First statics announced from the RCAF :clap:

CC-130
CC-177
CP-140

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Very nice. :up:

Edit:

It's a shame that RIAT's "latest updates" page is following the same tired formula of just listing what's confirmed in the text box, which we can see for ourselves on the confirmed aircraft page. The real value of the "latest updates page" is/was genuine latest updates, very seldom confirmations but "Norway has been in touch and are exploring the possibility of sending an aircraft for static. Operational commitments will ultimately decide, but nevertheless this is positive news!". I used to love that. Or, even something that's got nothing to do with 2018, "the office received a very kind letter from The Ukrainian Air Force..." or whatever.

Seriously, take 5 minutes to read the "latest updates" (at the bottom of the page on the following link) from when they were first introduced and you'll see a huge wealth of further info: http://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/visiti ... -countries

Yes, before someone picks me up on it, there may be nothing to update at this stage, that's fair enough, but I can't be alone in thinking, given the richness of information RIAT used to put forward every Thursday, it feels a bit "doing it because we have to" nowadays, as it did for much of the build up to 2017's show.

I don't want to see the invited countries list gone, quite the opposite, but currently just saying (summarised) "The Royal Canadian Air Force is sending a CC-177, CC-130, and CP-140 for static display" is a bit pointless - we can see that for ourselves. If there's nothing to update, then even just adding a bit of a human element to it would improve things - when was the last time a CC-130J attended? Are the office excited about their return? Would any of the machines have been support for the Hornet, and the Canadians decided to put them on show, or will they be additional? Did their letter of acceptance say anything about how important it was for them to celebrate the RAF's birthday bash?

All that stuff does so much more to build the show than flatly repeating what's listed on the confirmed aircraft page.

All the above is just IMO, of course.

Gripenjetphotos

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

Seems like Canada's bringing the whole contingent! Loved the Aurora in 2016 too. :clap:
I am impartial to a bit of jet noise.

Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

harkins

Post by harkins »

That's lovely. I was hoping for an update again but thought that this early it was unlikely we'd be getting weekly news. That's a great effort from the Canadians. I guess this means that there won't be a RCAF Hornet on static, but more than likely there will be an air spare with the painted display plane.

I wonder if with the talk of needing more concrete for static this year and as a result less on base/concrete car parking that they may also need to put all the display jets back over on the south side this year.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

boff180 wrote:First statics announced from the RCAF :clap:

CC-130
CC-177
CP-140

No Buffalo. Boo! :sad:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Really good update always nice to have a good number of heavies! :yahoo:
Thomas

st24

Post by st24 »

capercaillie wrote:
boff180 wrote:First statics announced from the RCAF :clap:

CC-130
CC-177
CP-140

No Buffalo. Boo! :sad:

Let it go mate.. Let it go.. :grin:

Great support, now if they can stick a Griffon and Sea King in the back of the (ahem) special tail Globemaster even better!!
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Very nice update for such an early stage, bodes well for the statics already. :clap:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

AngryAndyPandy

Post by AngryAndyPandy »

Tommy wrote:Very nice. :up:

Edit:

It's a shame that RIAT's "latest updates" page is following the same tired formula of just listing what's confirmed in the text box, which we can see for ourselves on the confirmed aircraft page. The real value of the "latest updates page" is/was genuine latest updates, very seldom confirmations but "Norway has been in touch and are exploring the possibility of sending an aircraft for static. Operational commitments will ultimately decide, but nevertheless this is positive news!". I used to love that. Or, even something that's got nothing to do with 2018, "the office received a very kind letter from The Ukrainian Air Force..." or whatever.

Seriously, take 5 minutes to read the "latest updates" (at the bottom of the page on the following link) from when they were first introduced and you'll see a huge wealth of further info: http://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/visiti ... -countries

Yes, before someone picks me up on it, there may be nothing to update at this stage, that's fair enough, but I can't be alone in thinking, given the richness of information RIAT used to put forward every Thursday, it feels a bit "doing it because we have to" nowadays, as it did for much of the build up to 2017's show.

I don't want to see the invited countries list gone, quite the opposite, but currently just saying (summarised) "The Royal Canadian Air Force is sending a CC-177, CC-130, and CP-140 for static display" is a bit pointless - we can see that for ourselves. If there's nothing to update, then even just adding a bit of a human element to it would improve things - when was the last time a CC-130J attended? Are the office excited about their return? Would any of the machines have been support for the Hornet, and the Canadians decided to put them on show, or will they be additional? Did their letter of acceptance say anything about how important it was for them to celebrate the RAF's birthday bash?

All that stuff does so much more to build the show than flatly repeating what's listed on the confirmed aircraft page.

All the above is just IMO, of course.

I agree entirely. I used to love reading their short paragraphs detailing the latest developments of the show even if, like you say, it's simply a short text about the history of that aircraft at the show etc. It is a shame and I'd love it to spark back up, however if not I'll still be an excited 5 year old come Thursday noon. :icecream:

Also... Love the RCAF support! Heavies! :yahoo:

Rossbeef

Post by Rossbeef »

Airshowhammer wrote:From what i know, Ukraine would like to return. Whether that comes to fruition or not is anyones guess.

Just out of curiosity, whereabouts did you hear this?

If the Su-27 is making a return again after last year it would yet again be my highlight!

Fingers crossed what you know is true!

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Tommy wrote:It's a shame that RIAT's "latest updates" page is following the same tired formula of just listing what's confirmed in the text box, which we can see for ourselves on the confirmed aircraft page

'Latest News' page covers that....
Official RAF Centenary celebrations taking place at the Royal International Air Tattoo this summer have been given an extra boost thanks to one of the UK's closest Commonwealth and NATO allies.

The Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF), which had already confirmed it was sending its hugely popular CF-18 Demo Team to the airshow at RAF Fairford on July 13-15, has announced that an additional three aircraft would be crossing the Atlantic to take part.

Illustrating the RCAF's capabilities will be a CC-130 Hercules, a CC-177 Globemaster and a CP-140 Aurora, all of which will be on display in the airshow's static park.

Based at Greenwood, Nova Scotia and Comox, British Columbia, the CP-140 Aurora has been used primarily for maritime patrol/anti-submarine warfare since it entered service with the RCAF in the early 1980s. Its endurance and 7,400km range make it ideal for a variety of missions including search and rescue and disaster relief. It also provides vital support to other government agencies in combating illegal immigration, illegal fishing, pollution and drug trafficking.

Arriving from Canadian Forces Base Trenton, Ontario, the CC-177 Globemaster III transports troops, cargo and oversized combat equipment from coast to coast and around the world. Its ability to fly long distances and land at remote airfields makes it a premier transporter for military, humanitarian and peacekeeping missions.

Since 2015 it has supported disaster relief operations in Nepal, it has transported personnel and equipment to battle the Ebola outbreak in West Africa and continues to support the global coalition against terrorism. Also arriving at RAF Fairford will be a Lockheed Martin CC-130 Hercules, which is used for troop transport, tactical airlift and aircrew training.

Air Tattoo spokesman Richard Arquati said: "From the Battle of Britain to current missions in the Middle East, the Royal Canadian Air Force has operated side-by-side with the Royal Air Force. Sending four aircraft to the Air Tattoo to mark the RAF's centenary re-affirms the strong and enduring bond that exists between them."

:biggrin:

Edited to add...
Have to say, though, that there's a heck of a lot more information posted on their twitter feed than appears on their website - guess those who don't do twitter are considered second-class by DBH. :whistle:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Brevet Cable wrote:
Tommy wrote:It's a shame that RIAT's "latest updates" page is following the same tired formula of just listing what's confirmed in the text box, which we can see for ourselves on the confirmed aircraft page

'Latest News' page covers that....

:biggrin:

Heh. I thought you might be along with that, but it doesn't answer the question. I said that the value of the latest updates page was seldom not in what was confirmed, but how far along things were. RIAT aren't going to do a press-release about positive discussions.

And DBH still issued press-releases about aircraft confirmations when they first rolled it out, and still managed to keep the latest updates section full of interesting info.