RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
197cup

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by 197cup »

Was it the demo pilot flying the F-35 or the Heritage pilot? If indeed they do have two different display pilots.

Danny

Post by Danny »

Usually the F-35 would only make three passes prior to the Heritage Flight (there isn't a full 'display' yet) - so it would appear that the additional passes on the Friday were just improvised because the Spitfire and Mustang weren't present.
"Can you believe it? Chelsea will just not let go in the Champions League!"

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

197cup wrote:Was it the demo pilot flying the F-35 or the Heritage pilot? If indeed they do have two different display pilots.

They usually do both in the same flight, so only one pilot for both routines. :smile:
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

chrisward123

Post by chrisward123 »

Danny wrote:Usually the F-35 would only make three passes prior to the Heritage Flight (there isn't a full 'display' yet) - so it would appear that the additional passes on the Friday were just improvised because the Spitfire and Mustang weren't present.

It was indeed improvised, I spoke to the F-35 guys Saturday morning who confirmed that
Lakes Lightning Collection

st24

Post by st24 »

G67 wrote:For me the appeal was in the surprise of the F-35's display.

We all know what a Hornet or F-16 can do, after three decades of displays, but the 35 has been lambasted as a fat, slow turkey. And yet here in it's first year of appearance it has already ahiwn promise.

I'm going to do some Youtube research now into 1980s F-16 displays. I'll bet they were quite tame.

You don't need to research--I'll tell you! They were very competent displays straight from the off, including the 1975 debut tour. Norwegians flew the first in service displays in 1981 and instantly became a game changer, the Dutch from '83 and both featured the hallmark features of current displays. Same can be said for Mirage 2000, Rafale, F-15, F-18, even both Tornados-all went straight into full performance displays in their first seasons. Then we come to the modern plastic and software monstrosities and it's kit gloves for at least the first 5 years, certainly in public.
For instance the F-35 didn't roll, yes some steep wing overs and pitches but not all the way over. If a Tornado, Eagle or F-16 had been doing that several years after service entry then it would have been considered very weak.
I was perhaps more surprised that it flew a "make it up", unrehearsed public demo, something I thought was very much taboo these days...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Danny

Post by Danny »

Don't forget the demonstration flown by the Lockheed Martin test pilot at Le Bourget last year, I presume we can expect something similar from the USAF in years to come?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93NdwZAeXhI[/youtube]
"Can you believe it? Chelsea will just not let go in the Champions League!"

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Sorry about the random change of subject, but I was looking through some of my photos and I noticed the little radiation symbol just next to the “Су-27” mark on the flanker. Does anyone know what this is for? At first I thought it may have been a kill marking but it seems all of them have this on them. Safety warning because it’s where the radar is?

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Its by the Radome, and warns crew that there is a potential risk as the radar gives out 'negative waves' that could be harmful.
Got to love Russianhardware

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:Its by the Radome, and warns crew that there is a potential risk as the radar gives out 'negative waves' that could be harmful.

Thought it might be, thanks.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Someone had to :biggrin:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

effects

Post by effects »

st24 wrote:

We all know what a Hornet or F-16 can do, after three decades of displays, but the 35 has been lambasted as a fat, slow turkey. And yet here in it's first year of appearance it has already ahiwn promise.

I'm going to do some Youtube research now into 1980s F-16 displays. I'll bet they were quite tame.

You don't need to research--I'll tell you! They were very competent displays straight from the off, including the 1975 debut tour. Norwegians flew the first in service displays in 1981 and instantly became a game changer, the Dutch from '83 and both featured the hallmark features of current displays. Same can be said for Mirage 2000, Rafale, F-15, F-18, even both Tornados-all went straight into full performance displays in their first seasons. Then we come to the modern plastic and software monstrosities and it's kit gloves for at least the first 5 years, certainly in public.
For instance the F-35 didn't roll, yes some steep wing overs and pitches but not all the way over. If a Tornado, Eagle or F-16 had been doing that several years after service entry then it would have been considered very weak.
I was perhaps more surprised that it flew a "make it up", unrehearsed public demo, something I thought was very much taboo these days...

History tells us the display pilots who go 'off piste' usually end up in a smoking hole in the ground. It is very unlikely this was the case, the yanks generally follow rules to the letter.
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

Mantog

Post by Mantog »

Pretty impressive! Interesting to see the amount of work the tailerons are doing

Danny wrote:Don't forget the demonstration flown by the Lockheed Martin test pilot at Le Bourget last year, I presume we can expect something similar from the USAF in years to come?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93NdwZAeXhI[/youtube]

st24

Post by st24 »

effects wrote:
st24 wrote:

History tells us the display pilots who go 'off piste' usually end up in a smoking hole in the ground. It is very unlikely this was the case, the yanks generally follow rules to the letter.

Indeed but it didn't fly any form of rehearsal at Fairford which I always thought was mandatory. Same for the PC7 team unless they flew a very late one one evening.. :dunno:

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Would guess the PC-7 Team may have been pre-validated off site at another event.

mavvymoo

Post by mavvymoo »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:Its by the Radome, and warns crew that there is a potential risk as the radar gives out 'negative waves' that could be harmful.
I was working at the show where the Fulcrums collided and the wreckage was considered to be "hot" for some time (according to the safety brief we had) and bits of aeroplane were still littering the verges near the sheds on the far side a couple of days later when we were packing up.
Famed for appearing to put my foot in it, read my post with the voice of Stewie Griffin if it offended you first time

G67

Post by G67 »

Tmyers123 wrote:... and I noticed the little radiation symbol just next to the “Су-27” mark on the flanker. Does anyone know what this is for?

You'll note that the Flanker's warning marking is red and yellow, to distinguish it from black and yellow ionizing hazard.

The radar is basically a very powerful, directional microwave oven but every antenna has potentially dangerous side-lobes when active. Especially at 20kW like the Flanker's radar.

There is now an ISO symbol for non-ionizing radiation ( a radiating antenna in a triangle ) but the Flanker's painting plan probably predates that. Certainly I don't remember the triangular symbol at RAF radar sites in the 1980s, just big placards.

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

st24 wrote:

For the not rolling, and long repositioning pauses argument it really boils down to it not actually being a worked up/validated display I would think. They validated the heritage flight, and really just flew a series of fairly similar passes to what they might do on the end of the heritage flight with perhaps one or two different breaks. The one really nice one was the (admittedly high) pull over the top where he generated some very nice vapour. With the repositioning delays, usually there's other aircraft filling in that void, and even with the more polished demonstrations (such as the French Rafale which never fails to impress) the high speed passes take some time to reposition from...but we all want to see the F-35 go fast and yank on it...so I'll still take it.

st24

Post by st24 »

Go4Long wrote:
st24 wrote:

For the not rolling, and long repositioning pauses argument it really boils down to it not actually being a worked up/validated display I would think. They validated the heritage flight, and really just flew a series of fairly similar passes to what they might do on the end of the heritage flight with perhaps one or two different breaks. The one really nice one was the (admittedly high) pull over the top where he generated some very nice vapour. With the repositioning delays, usually there's other aircraft filling in that void, and even with the more polished demonstrations (such as the French Rafale which never fails to impress) the high speed passes take some time to reposition from...but we all want to see the F-35 go fast and yank on it...so I'll still take it.

When did they validate the heritage flight?? :question: And you want to what on it??!
The Rafale literally takes seconds to reposition, absolutely no loss of flow whatsoever.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

PlanesTV asked to allow for 8 weeks to send out the DVDs. Anyone that has got theirs already?

Also, any chance of having an '18 version of this thing?
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

aviodromefriend wrote:PlanesTV asked to allow for 8 weeks to send out the DVDs. Anyone that has got theirs already?
this thing?

Monday, 8th October is the release date stated on the PlanesTV website.