RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Dan213

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by Dan213 »

Brevet Cable wrote:Somewhat confusing on the 'free entry' though....some parts of the website say 'under-18s', but other parts still say 'accompanied under-16s'
I wouldn't be surprised if the '18' is an error, because I'd have thought they'd lose quite a lot of money from ticket sales.

Most of the website appears to say under-18s now, so it looks like this is definitely the case

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Yep, and I see it's now been amended to say 'accompanied children under 18'.
I hope they don't stick the price of the normal tickets up to compensate for how much they're going to lose by doing this.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Berf

Post by Berf »

Desperation by the recruiters to get more 'recruitable' people to be inspired and sign up!

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

We have received a statement directly from the RCAF regarding the CF-18 Demo Team rumour posted on here some time back, and the recent Airshowinfo.hu article:

There is a story being shared (link below) citing your page communicating information about the Canadian CF-18 Demonstration participating in RIAT 2018 and about the theme. The information being published is not from an official source, and it is inaccurate. While planning for the 2018 Demonstration Season is now underway, no locations are currently confirmed and theme details are not yet official. We expect to announce this information in the December time frame.

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

Any ideas as to when the early bird tickets are likely to go on sale?

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

:facepalm:
아직도 숨어있다

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

Can i please ask what is wrong wit my question?

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

아직도 숨어있다

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

ok sorry didn't realise there was a thread for the tickets i couldn't see for looking :surrender:

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

A few more tit bits of info...

Friday will be a 7 hour flying display.

P&V will be open Tuesday at £10 - Not included in FRIAT Mach 3 package

Each days flying display will possibly be very different due to the sheer number of participants expected

Step ladders limited to 1.5m in height and banned from being within 10m of the crowdline (except in P&V designated area).

Tents limited to 1.5m in height and banned from being within 10m of the crowdline.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

boff180 wrote:
Step ladders limited to 1.5m in height and banned from being within 10m of the crowdline (except in P&V designated area).

Tents limited to 1.5m in height and banned from being within 10m of the crowdline.

Who enforces this rule, if anyone?

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

boff180 wrote:Tents limited to 1.5m in height

Having seen some of the erections in previous years....good, it's about time !
아직도 숨어있다

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Big Eric wrote:
boff180 wrote:

Says it is going to be enforced and if people persist they will be asked to leave the show. By who, I don't know.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Well there are enough Plod wandering around the showground, so presumably by them ... if people are pig ignorant enough to think the Ts&Cs don't apply to them & refuse to comply when requested, they deserve to get hoofed.
아직도 숨어있다

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

1.5m is still a very reasonable allowance so hopefully no complaints there.

Hope we can purchase Tuesday in advance for a slicker entry.

The potentially different flying displays is both exciting and slightly worrying, given how weather can affect things.

Still, that's why I go for FRIAT.

Smog Monster

Post by Smog Monster »

Makes the clash with Legends all the more annoying, given I was intending to try and split my weekend.

Would be useful to get some official view of how different the weekend days are likely to be.

RS2

Post by RS2 »

Shelters are allowed to be bought into the event up to 1.5 metres in height as are step ladders however they are not allowed within 10m of the crowdline (apart from in the P&V step ladder enclosure) so that they do not obstruct to the view of others. This will be policed and should the problem persist the perpetrator will be asked to leave the event immediately.

As it states 'apart from the P&V step ladder enclosure' and the only dedicated ladders enclosure is at P&V east, does this at last mean that the step ladders and tall tents will need to be 10m back in P&V west?

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

A change for P&V....
There will be a Park & View shuttle bus from Swindon bus station on all days - purchase a combined Park & View and bus ticket online but please check that the bus timings fit your requirements before booking.

And for the smokers amongst you....
Smoking (including vaping) within the Enclosures is only allowed in Outdoor Designated Smoking Areas, as determined by the organisers and indicated with appropriate signage and is not allowed in any event structure at the Air Tattoo.
아직도 숨어있다

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Smog Monster wrote:Would be useful to get some official view of how different the weekend days are likely to be.
What we know yet is that Friday will see the big flypast and royal review. For the rest it will be depending on what the top brass from all over the world will send to Glos. Not many countries have finalised their plans for airshow participation for next year.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

harkins

Post by harkins »

Fair play that they're acknowledging that arrivals will occur on the Tuesday (although will a star static item arrive on Monday now?), but a tiny bit peeved that a) it's an extra tenner on the Mach3 (not really anything to lose sleep over though) and b) that I'm now having to contemplate persuading the wife that 6 days away is now 7 and booking another night's accommodation.

I also fear that the special Friday is going to cause some serious upset as I guess the weekend could just be a 'normal' air tattoo. I fully understand the reasons for the main event being Friday only, but with the nature of the British weather, it being a one day only event makes it quite nerve-racking that it'll come off. Fingers crossed!

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

harkens wrote:.. I'm now having to contemplate persuading the wife that 6 days away is now 7 ..

I feel your pain. Its not so much the time away per se, its the using of annual leave allowance to the detriment of family activities. Still, it is just for this one special year right :biggrin: :grin:

MC hammer

Post by MC hammer »

iainpeden wrote:
davidjones533 wrote:
Due to the scale of the 2018 Air Tattoo and us needing to find more space for static aircraft, you may be parked on or off base on either grass or concrete, so please bare this in mind.

Looks promising!

Shouldn't that be "bear?"
I have just checked my copy of the Concise Oxford Dictionary (1952) and, to answer my own question, yes, it should.
Come on Dan, you missed that one.

My copy of the Concise Oxford Dictionary (2017) says that "bare" can mean devoid of, without clothing or covering or the static at Scampton. :smile:

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

boff180 wrote:
Big Eric wrote:
boff180 wrote:

Says it is going to be enforced and if people persist they will be asked to leave the show. By who, I don't know.

Where do the 3m Ladders go?
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

The 'naughty field' or the nearest skip ? :biggrin:

DBH should have an on-site crusher to deal with any ladders over 1.5m ( provide some extra entertainment ).....and if the ladder's 3m they can throw the owners in as well !
아직도 숨어있다

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Brevet Cable wrote:The 'naughty field' or the nearest skip ? :biggrin:

DBH should have an on-site crusher to deal with any ladders over 1.5m ( provide some extra entertainment )

They should make the owner press the button to operate the crusher!