RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
speedbird2639

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by speedbird2639 »

The Baron wrote:Believe nothing until confirmed by DBH, then remain pessimistic until the wheels hit the ground at Fairford.

And if its due to be in the flying display don't believe it until it has completed its display as plenty of acts have gone tech just before or during their display.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Dream for next year is to see a Harrier in the air. Ideally a display!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

edhunter wrote:I don't know who on here is a member of fightercontrol forum, but on there a member by the name of mrtt the as said that 5 air arms ( Malaysia, Japan, Singapore, Canada and U.a.e ) are down to appear at RIAT.

Further to that he has also said that USAF to send out aircraft from sqdns that used to fly 100 years ago e.g 107 fs, 1st rs, 2nd ars 9th bs etc. Apparently he has got this information from scramble.
can anyone here shed any light on this information or is this guy living in the realms of fantasy?

There are 3 types of "down to appear"..

1. Friend of a friend of a friend - baseless rumour
2. Self-confirm/viable source - very strong rumour
3. Announced by DBH - not a rumour

The Canadian information right now falls into category 1 and has even been formally debunked by the RCAF themselves. Unless sources are cited I'd class the other 4 air arms info as category 1 too.

Andy

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

boff180 wrote:There are 3 types of "down to appear"..

1. Friend of a friend of a friend - baseless rumour
2. Self-confirm/viable source - very strong rumour
3. Announced by DBH - not a rumour
Add type 1A: An in itself to be judged as a reliable source confirms, then a higher ranked person denies any decision to have been taken (but doesn't say it won't happen). I think that is a better description for the Canadian situation.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Not really... an unknown member on here states the news came from the team (with nothing else to back that up), another site reads that and puts out a full news post, the involved air force then denies it.

That's still category 1.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

boff180 wrote:Not really... an unknown member on here states the news came from the team (with nothing else to back that up), another site reads that and puts out a full news post, the involved air force then denies it.

That's still category 1.
Not for me.
UK Airshow Review wrote:We have received a statement directly from the RCAF regarding the CF-18 Demo Team rumour posted on here some time back, and the recent Airshowinfo.hu article:

There is a story being shared (link below) citing your page communicating information about the Canadian CF-18 Demonstration participating in RIAT 2018 and about the theme. The information being published is not from an official source, and it is inaccurate. While planning for the 2018 Demonstration Season is now underway, no locations are currently confirmed and theme details are not yet official. We expect to announce this information in the December time frame.
So the RCAF does not deny that the team will be at RIAT. It says that there is no decision taken, which leaves open that it wil be there in the end. If they weren't looking at sending the Hornet over to RIAT at all, I think they would have said that it wouldn't be there.
Disclaimer: bold in the message from the RCAF was edited by me.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

aviodromefriend wrote:So the RCAF does not deny that the team will be at RIAT. It says that there is no decision taken, which leaves open that it will be there in the end, or it won't be there in the end. If they weren't looking at sending the Hornet over to RIAT at all, I think they would have said that it wouldn't be there.

As this point it's neither confirmed or denied, your comment 'I think they would have said that it wouldn't be there' basically means nothing as you don't know and nor do I!

Fingers crossed it will be there, but these RIAT threads so often end up filled with wishlists and unfounded or tenuous rumours.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Wissam24 wrote:Dream for next year is to see a Harrier in the air. Ideally a display!

That'd be good wouldn't it?! Spanish one would be the most likely (although still fairly unlikely!) I would guess?

jalfrezi wrote:
aviodromefriend wrote:So the RCAF does not deny that the team will be at RIAT. It says that there is no decision taken, which leaves open that it will be there in the end, or it won't be there in the end. If they weren't looking at sending the Hornet over to RIAT at all, I think they would have said that it wouldn't be there.

As this point it's neither confirmed or denied, your comment 'I think they would have said that it wouldn't be there' basically means nothing as you don't know and nor do I!

Fingers crossed it will be there, but these RIAT threads so often end up filled with wishlists and unfounded or tenuous rumours.

Which is part of their charm isn't it? :grin:

All of which goes to prove that everything, from the RAFAT to the Iranian Tomcat role demo, will without question either be there or not be there come next July. Of that, we can most certainly be sure.
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

SwAFHF routinely self-confirm that they'll be at RIAT......hence why some of us are extremely sceptical about any rumours, statements from teams, etc.
As for the arse-about logic of "They haven't said they're not coming, so they must be coming" used by some people....... :facepalm:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Which category did this year's double Su-27 and Tanker support from Ukraine fall into? All sort of rumour, self confirmation, secrecy and 'don't believe it until you see the smoke trails on finals' etc. the Ukranian saga was great 'will it or won't it' popcornery. :snack:
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

spellow3010 wrote:Which category did this year's double Su-27 and Tanker support from Ukraine fall into? All sort of rumour, self confirmation, secrecy and 'don't believe it until you see the smoke trails on finals' etc. the Ukranian saga was great 'will it or won't it' popcornery. :snack:

Well in answer to that, the Su27s, were all of the above (as they were rumoured, seen by a reliable source from the display committee and confirmed by DBH) and the tanker was none of the above, as the Flankers didn't need one, it wasn't talked about and it never turned up. :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Hog

Post by Hog »

Does anyone have any views on what the USAF might send next year? Any chance of seeing a B-1 B-52 or Raptor again? Cant see them sending the Raptor 3 years on the trot. I am hoping to see an Electric Lightning on Static not sure how many there are left n one piece though. Whatever shows up it is going to be a fantastic weekend.
Last edited by Hog on Wed 08 Nov 2017, 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

An "Electric Lightening", what do you mean?

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Big Eric wrote:An "Electric Lightening", what do you mean?

An enviromentally friendly F-35
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Hog

Post by Hog »

The English Electric Lightning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2BVsNdT0ec
Last edited by Hog on Wed 08 Nov 2017, 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Not really any need for the smart Alec trying so hard to be funny put downs is there?

We all know what Hog meant.
Or is that how we welcome new members these days?

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Something a little more exotic from the Ukranians rather than boring old Flankers would be sweet, and ask the Japanese to being anything but a blinking tanker again!
Got to love Russianhardware

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Hog wrote:I am hoping to see an Electric Lightening on Static not sure how many there are left n one piece though.

There are actually a surprising number of complete Lightnings still around, so it's certainly possible!

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/lightning/survivors.php

jayne_morris

Post by jayne_morris »

Hog wrote:The English Electric Lightening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2BVsNdT0ec

if you like lightnings have you been to bruntingthorpe to see the ones there?

Hog

Post by Hog »

Thanks for all the info on the thunder plane!!! Much appreciated. :claypole:

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

borismorris wrote:Not really any need for the smart Alec trying so hard to be funny put downs is there?

We all know what Hog meant.
Or is that how we welcome new members these days?

Sadly this is just standard behavior from a lot of people on here, regular posters included. Some people only post if they feel there is an opportunity to belittle or put someone in their place. Rather than seize the chance to welcome and inform someone who simply shares their passion.
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:Something a little more exotic from the Ukranians rather than boring old Flankers would be sweet, and ask the Japanese to being anything but a blinking tanker again!

Boring??? :dizzy:
Lets hope they return, which i think they will be :ninja: :wink:
a SU-24 would be brilliant.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Wissam24 wrote:Dream for next year is to see a Harrier in the air. Ideally a display!

Would be sublime, Spanish Navy, Italian Navy or USMC are our only options i assume for a display?

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

jalfrezi wrote:

For a moment I thought I had stumbled on the Original RIAT Nutters facebook page :wink: :lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

capercaillie wrote:
spellow3010 wrote:Which category did this year's double Su-27 and Tanker support from Ukraine fall into? All sort of rumour, self confirmation, secrecy and 'don't believe it until you see the smoke trails on finals' etc. the Ukranian saga was great 'will it or won't it' popcornery. :snack:

Well in answer to that, the Su27s, were all of the above (as they were rumoured, seen by a reliable source from the display committee and confirmed by DBH) and the tanker was none of the above, as the Flankers didn't need one, it wasn't talked about and it never turned up. :whistle:

I sense the froth as you typed all that out. Fair enough though :up:
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro