RIAT 2018 discussion

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby Thomas Beting on Sun 07 Jan 2018, 11:26 pm

French Rafale pair just confirmed for Yeovliton, Hopefully coming to RIAT! :yahoo:
Thomas Beting

Postby Stagger2 on Mon 08 Jan 2018, 8:42 am

Just like they didn't last year?? :dunno:
Stagger2

Postby vulcanshammer on Mon 08 Jan 2018, 9:32 am

ColeTheDemolisher wrote:
Pringles wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:2017 is going to take some beating!

Not if you went on Saturday it's not :whistle:

too right :mad: :mad:

Please tell me you are both joking?
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better
vulcanshammer

Postby Seahornet on Mon 08 Jan 2018, 11:11 am

Pringles wrote:

Can't agree; being there on the Saturday didn't in any way spoil my enjoyment of a fantastic week at Fairford.... :lol:

Seriously, the show on the Saturday was one of the best for many years, and I agree with Airshowhammer that it will take some beating. However, for anyone who only did the Saturday, I can imagine they would have mixed feelings when they discovered that the Sunday had been even better.... :smile: :sad:
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....
Seahornet

Postby Go4Long on Mon 08 Jan 2018, 2:02 pm

In fairness the Friday had the big pass with the Reds and the Thunderbirds as well...the only day that didn't get a special pass was Saturday I believe.

If people are complaining about the low cloud base...well that's really not anyone's fault except for those that only went on Saturday for failing to predict the most predictable thing about every Fairford weekend...that at least one day of the weekend is likely to be poopy weather for at least part of it.
Go4Long

Postby Gripenjetphotos on Mon 08 Jan 2018, 2:37 pm

Go4Long wrote:In fairness the Friday had the big pass with the Reds and the Thunderbirds as well...the only day that didn't get a special pass was Saturday I believe.

If people are complaining about the low cloud base...well that's really not anyone's fault except for those that only went on Saturday for failing to predict the most predictable thing about every Fairford weekend...that at least one day of the weekend is likely to be poopy weather for at least part of it.

I imagine I would have been a little ticked off if I only went on Saturday. However, I did decide to go on Monday for the first time too, so in essence, I only missed the B-2 flying. I do understand though that a lot of people can go only one day and therefore have to pick a certain day.

Anyway, back to the 2018 show, lets get a Gripen confirmed soon! :smile:
Unofficially promoting the SAAB Gripen in Britain!
Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/
Gripenjetphotos

Postby Airshowhammer on Mon 08 Jan 2018, 10:12 pm

The Belgian F16 demo teams scheme this year is going by the name of ‘Dark Falcon’ flown by ‘Darth Vador’ i’m assuming an all black aircraft then!
Airshowhammer

Postby 138EAW on Mon 08 Jan 2018, 10:56 pm

At Sanicole last year it was mentioned 1 Sqn BAF were taking over the display duty. If they do go for a dark scheme like 'Vador' has posted. Something like the 80th anniversay Stingers jet "Blackbird III" would be much welcomed :drool:
Gary

RAF Tornados left in service =26
GR4 =23, GR4(T) =3
138EAW

Postby jules48 on Tue 09 Jan 2018, 1:07 pm

Friday
Friday will be a full show day with 7+ hours of flying - it will also feature an RAF Flypast and a Royal Review of Aircraft
jules48

Postby Go4Long on Tue 09 Jan 2018, 1:44 pm

jules48 wrote:Friday
Friday will be a full show day with 7+ hours of flying - it will also feature an RAF Flypast and a Royal Review of Aircraft

Yes, that's been known for months now.
Go4Long

Postby jules48 on Tue 09 Jan 2018, 5:40 pm

Apologies.I have not been keeping up to date.Tend not to look at 2018 airshows until January when the first announcements of confirmed and invited air forces are shown.
jules48

Postby stevebrodie on Wed 10 Jan 2018, 12:40 pm

Seahornet wrote:
Pringles wrote:

Can't agree; being there on the Saturday didn't in any way spoil my enjoyment of a fantastic week at Fairford.... :lol:

Seriously, the show on the Saturday was one of the best for many years, and I agree with Airshowhammer that it will take some beating. However, for anyone who only did the Saturday, I can imagine they would have mixed feelings when they discovered that the Sunday had been even better.... :smile: :sad:

The B2 was due on Saturday, so Sunday visitors would have missed it instead, suppose its the chance you take if you can only visit one day. :sad:
Viper: Good morning, gentlemen, the temperature is 110 degrees
stevebrodie

Postby Pringles on Wed 10 Jan 2018, 1:38 pm

vulcanshammer wrote:
ColeTheDemolisher wrote:
Pringles wrote:

Vulcan, I can't speak for Cole but I was! I only did the full day on Saturday, and packed my tent away at Townsend on Sunday and saw bits and bobs, but based purely on what flew that day then yes, it won't take much to beat it for quality. I say that because items like the Midnight Hawks, Spanish Hornet and RAF Typhoon all either scrubbed immediately or flew only a few passes; that wasn't DBH's fault, but it means I hope 2018 fares a little better overall :biggrin:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic
Pringles

Postby vulcanshammer on Wed 10 Jan 2018, 2:28 pm

Pringles wrote:
vulcanshammer wrote:
ColeTheDemolisher wrote:
Pringles wrote:

Vulcan, I can't speak for Cole but I was! I only did the full day on Saturday, and packed my tent away at Townsend on Sunday and saw bits and bobs, but based purely on what flew that day then yes, it won't take much to beat it for quality. I say that because items like the Midnight Hawks, Spanish Hornet and RAF Typhoon all either scrubbed immediately or flew only a few passes; that wasn't DBH's fault, but it means I hope 2018 fares a little better overall :biggrin:

Fair enough Pringles, I thought you guys were referring to Sunday's special guest, rather than the weather. Fingers crossed for a clear weekend this time! :smile:
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better
vulcanshammer

Postby Spotty_Jag on Wed 10 Jan 2018, 2:42 pm

Suprised no-one has mentioned the rumoured USA tour for the Royal Jordanian Falcons? The first time they've missed RIAT in how many years if true? :shock:
Spotty_Jag

Postby Wrexham Mackem on Wed 10 Jan 2018, 3:21 pm

Spotty_Jag wrote:Suprised no-one has mentioned the rumoured USA tour for the Royal Jordanian Falcons? The first time they've missed RIAT in how many years if true? :shock:

I'd seen that, but assumed that the Spring timeframe rumoured would still see them back in Europe for July. I think they may have been ever-present since 79, I can't remember them not being there. Have they missed once since?
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Postby capercaillie on Wed 10 Jan 2018, 3:26 pm

Don't think they were there in 1991, Gulf issues?
"The surrogate voice of st24"
capercaillie

Postby Pringles on Wed 10 Jan 2018, 4:11 pm

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
Spotty_Jag wrote:Suprised no-one has mentioned the rumoured USA tour for the Royal Jordanian Falcons? The first time they've missed RIAT in how many years if true? :shock:

I'd seen that, but assumed that the Spring timeframe rumoured would still see them back in Europe for July. I think they may have been ever-present since 79, I can't remember them not being there. Have they missed once since?

I don't know about a Spring timeframe, but California International Airshow Salinas are suggesting that the Falcons will be flying:
Next year’s air show dates are Sept. 29 and 30 at Salinas Municipal Airport. Besides the Thunderbirds, the show will feature, for the first time in the U.S., the Royal Jordanian Falcon Team.

http://www.montereyherald.com/article/N ... /171219963
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic
Pringles

Postby Andyperkins on Wed 10 Jan 2018, 4:57 pm

stevebrodie wrote:
Seahornet wrote:
Pringles wrote:

I never knew it was originally down for the Saturday, guess last year I really lucked out as my track record until 2017 had been pretty terrible picking the worst show day to go for the previous 3-4 years.
Andyperkins

Postby borismorris on Wed 10 Jan 2018, 5:51 pm

Being a regular at Cosford I didnt think the weather on Saturday was THAT bad.. I also don't recall all that many aircraft being pulled from the display.
Sure , there was a few which canx but it wasn't like the whole day was washed out.
borismorris

Postby speedbird2639 on Wed 10 Jan 2018, 7:39 pm

Oh don't raise my hopes - it couldn't be true, could it?
speedbird2639

Postby Gripenjetphotos on Wed 10 Jan 2018, 7:41 pm

And just at the moment when they release a new scheme... :tongue2:
Unofficially promoting the SAAB Gripen in Britain!
Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/
Gripenjetphotos

Postby Wrexham Mackem on Wed 10 Jan 2018, 9:27 pm

capercaillie wrote:Don't think they were there in 1991, Gulf issues?

Yup, just done a quick check Mr C, and you're quite right. 1991 it was.
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Postby Tommy on Thu 11 Jan 2018, 12:01 pm

First thursday update of the year, then!

Swiss Hornet & PC-7 Team flying. Both very good participants. :up:
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby jason82wells on Thu 11 Jan 2018, 12:18 pm

And so it begins - the Thursday lunchtime updates are back :win:
jason82wells

PreviousNext

Return to Royal International Air Tattoo