RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
spellow3010

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by spellow3010 »

Tommy wrote:First thursday update of the year, then!

Swiss Hornet & PC-7 Team flying. Both very good participants. :up:

Nice... I recall seeing these flying as consecutive acts and including at least one joint flypast as part of the whole thing... Did they do it a few years ago with a Super Puma, rehearsing it in terrible grot one morning in the run up to the show?

Always room for a Hornet :up:
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

Gripenjetphotos

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

Excellent! Two F-18's already! And the PC-7 team is a thorough display too. :yahoo:
I am impartial to a bit of jet noise.

Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

spellow3010 wrote:

Nice... I recall seeing these flying as consecutive acts and including at least one joint flypast as part of the whole thing... Did they do it a few years ago with a Super Puma, rehearsing it in terrible grot one morning in the run up to the show?

2015 they did a joint flypast with the Cougar, yeah, and it was Thursday morning that year where they practised that in crappy weather.

How can I forget - that was the origin of the "Swiss Chinook" joke all the other Staffers love to remind me of every 3 - 4 weeks. :wat: :wat: :cuppa:

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Tommy wrote:
spellow3010 wrote:

2015 they did a joint flypast with the Cougar, yeah, and it was Thursday morning that year where they practised that in crappy weather.

How can I forget - that was the origin of the "Swiss Chinook" joke all the other Staffers love to remind me of every 3 - 4 weeks. :wat: :wat: :cuppa:

2009 The Hornet and PC-7 Team displayed as a joint presentation. Joint flypast, Hornet display then team display. Properly good it was too. Much the same way the Cougar and team presented together in 15.
Great announcement to get the ball rolling on the updates, and here we go... :biggrin:

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Great news, two Hornet displays already and a reasonable chance (given that it's a Farnborough year) of a Super-H demo too.

:clap:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Lovely stuff! :cool:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Second.....although it's the first which involves aircraft :wink:
:biggrin:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Gripenjetphotos

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

Does this mean we could get continuous Thursday updates from now on, or is it still too early? :dunno:
I am impartial to a bit of jet noise.

Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Skyflash wrote:Great news, two Hornet displays already and a reasonable chance (given that it's a Farnborough year) of a Super-H demo too.

:clap:

I've thought the last couple of Super Hornet displays have been disappointing.

Nice update though.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

If we do get a Super Hornet, lets just hope they send one with unit markings after the last couple of dullards. :down:

Been a while since the Swiss sent the Hornet, which was always a benchmark display routine. A couple of static standard F-5s wouldn't go a miss before they all disappear either. :biggrin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

vulcan57

Post by vulcan57 »

Great update! With 5 displays and a flypast so far, two are Hornets. Nothing to complain about there. :clap:

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

capercaillie wrote:If we do get a Super Hornet, lets just hope they send one with unit markings after the last couple of dullards. :down:

Been a while since the Swiss sent the Hornet, which was always a benchmark display routine. A couple of static standard F-5s wouldn't go a miss before they all disappear either. :biggrin:

The last one was actually a Boeing demo jet. It got called something else in the literature at Fairford, but the same jet was at Abbotsford here in Canada, and was identified as a Boeing demonstrator.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Great to see the PC-7 team return. Not too happy with another Hornet though, but that is more because of my incapability to make decent pics of airborne F-18s.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

aviodromefriend wrote:Great to see the PC-7 team return. Not too happy with another Hornet though, but that is more because of my incapability to make decent pics of airborne F-18s.

It's a good job we're not all the same then, isn't it! :smile:
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

jason82wells

Post by jason82wells »

aviodromefriend wrote:Not too happy with another Hornet though

:wall: :surrender:

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

jason82wells wrote:
aviodromefriend wrote:Not too happy with another Hornet though

:wall: :surrender:

Jason, I think aviodromefriend was only joking... :surrender:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

No, I wasn't.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Excellent start, got happy memories of the Swiss Hornet tearing Cosford up a couple of years ago.

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

In 2016 the Super Hornet flew its Farnborough display at RIAT, hence why it appeared further away I believe.

RIAT Air Ops

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

capercaillie wrote:If we do get a Super Hornet, lets just hope they send one with unit markings after the last couple of dullards. :down:

2014 IIRC? As for the F-5s, I ask every year and no joy .....

Tom

RIAT Air Ops

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

Go4Long wrote:

The last one was actually a Boeing demo jet. It got called something else in the literature at Fairford, but the same jet was at Abbotsford here in Canada, and was identified as a Boeing demonstrator.

The Super Hornets used by Boeing at RIAT are US Navy examples bailed back from the DoD by Industry (Boeing), not dedicated Boeing demo aircraft.

Tom

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

RIAT Air Ops wrote:

2014 IIRC? As for the F-5s, I ask every year and no joy .....

Tom

Might have been 2012, I think? VFA-122(?)

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

I've heard there is some rumblings that the Greeks are going to try and make a return can anyone shed any light?

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

edhunter wrote:I've heard there is some rumblings that the Greeks are going to try and make a return can anyone shed any light?

I know the F4’s don’t have a display pilot, but something similar to what they flew at Athens 2017 would be fantastic! Never ever seen one fly!

kinglear27

Post by kinglear27 »

Airshowhammer wrote:
edhunter wrote:I've heard there is some rumblings that the Greeks are going to try and make a return can anyone shed any light?

I know the F4’s don’t have a display pilot, but something similar to what they flew at Athens 2017 would be fantastic! Never ever seen one fly!

Now that would be an awesome sight to see. Fingers crossed at the very least we get a Greece example on static, like the previous two years. Then at least I would see one fly on departures day.