RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
aviodromefriend

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by aviodromefriend »

Harvo266 wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:Don't know if its been mentioned but RIAT are now supplying a shuttle bus for departure days! :clap:

Would this be a double decker with photo opportunities for remaining statics without infamous cones or just a bus to get from A-B? (E-W)
Swindon-RAF Fairford.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

ted633

Post by ted633 »

Airshowhammer wrote:Lovely aircraft, but i hope they don’t go missing on Fairfords display line due to how small they are!

Just a wild guess, but could be for a historic flypast of some sort instead of an individual display (We can dream can't we?)

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

I'd never seen a vampire until last year, then saw two different ones last year. Fun little things...emphasis on the little.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

RIAT Air Ops wrote:Tommy, I was referring to the Swiss when I went for 2014 but agree, 2012 for a marked USN Super.

Ah right, apologies - I misread.

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

Go4Long wrote:I'd never seen a vampire until last year, then saw two different ones last year. Fun little things...emphasis on the little.

Scampton? What a delight they were. Can't wait to see them at Fairford!
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

vulcanshammer wrote:
Go4Long wrote:I'd never seen a vampire until last year, then saw two different ones last year. Fun little things...emphasis on the little.

Scampton? What a delight they were. Can't wait to see them at Fairford!

I'm Canadian...Abbotsford and London (Ontario)

This one was London:

De Havilland Vampire by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

coanda

Post by coanda »

coanda wrote:That'll be to limit the time taken to make the trips because of people stopping to take photos on an active airfield

Thought the shuttle bus was between friat and the gate for departures...now I see it's Swindon - riat

8674planes

Post by 8674planes »

Swedish Airforce Historic flight AJS 37 Viggen , J 35 Draken , J 32 Lansen, J 29 Tunnan

http://www.swafhf.se/flygprogram.html
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

8674planes wrote:Swedish Airforce Historic flight AJS 37 Viggen , J 35 Draken , J 32 Lansen, J 29 Tunnan

http://www.swafhf.se/flygprogram.html

Same every year - NOT Confirmed at all
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

It happens every year. They are not attending an airshow unless the far right column 'OK' on their website says 'JA'.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Unless I'm mistaken, haven't there been times when their website's said 'Ja' & DBH have said 'Nej' ?
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

CJS

Post by CJS »

Jakub.Zurek wrote:It happens every year. They are not attending an airshow unless the far right column 'OK' on their website says 'JA'.

Which, almost certainly, it won't :grin: One of Tom and his team's frustrations most years I expect, the way their very own website is actually just their wishlist of places they'd like to display at.

That said, they were obviously at Scampton last year so perhaps the balls have been set in motion between the two 'sides'? Certainly they'd be a magnificent addition to any flying display (IMHO of course).

Brevet Cable wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, haven't there been times when their website's said 'Ja' & DBH have said 'Nej' ?

No that I recall (although in fairness I often have trouble recalling my own name...) but the Swedes have certainly listed RIAT for the last what, 4? 5? years.

If (and I know it's nothing more than an if at present) the Vampires did get confirmed it would bode well for other ex RAF types being sought from distant lands to take part in the birthday celebrations.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

I remember reading last year when they put out a release saying that why they won’t be attending (something along those lines) and that they hope they can finalise something this year. Would love to see that J-35! Its something else :love:

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

CJS wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, haven't there been times when their website's said 'Ja' & DBH have said 'Nej' ?

No that I recall (although in fairness I often have trouble recalling my own name...) but the Swedes have certainly listed RIAT for the last what, 4? 5? years.
And there has been one year of all those when the Swedes put JA at RIAT, then in the last week (when they had also been announced as passing through at the airfields they would refuel at) they (SWAFHF, I mean) had to admit they couldn't get a PDA. I think it was '16.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

jason82wells

Post by jason82wells »

Saw on Twitter last night that there'll be no Apache demo from the UK Army this year :sad:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ApacheDisplay/status/953702712197214209[/tweet]

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

아직도 숨어있다

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Wonder if we’ll see an update at 12?

Gripenjetphotos

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

Vampires confirmed :rock:

Two Cold War classic jets will join the flying display at RIAT 2018 from the civilian operated Norwegian Air Force Historical Squadron! A Vampire T.55 and Vampire FB.52 will take us back to the early jet-age years and will be specially painted in RAF colours to celebrate RAF100.
I am impartial to a bit of jet noise.

Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Better than that....Vampires confirmed flying :biggrin:

Just hope it doesn't turn into a "Meh!" by only being part of the flypast(s)
아직도 숨어있다

blackcat

Post by blackcat »

Guessing we are going to get an RAF through the ages kind of thing?

CJS

Post by CJS »

Lovely stuff. :-)

Definitely hope these are not only part of the flypast on the Friday. I wonder if updates will start confirming this or if it won't be known til nearer the time?

harkins

Post by harkins »

blackcat wrote:Guessing we are going to get an RAF through the ages kind of thing?

Nothing against the Vampires (nice to see them in RAF markings), but I hope not, well not at the expense of big noisy fast jets from exotic places. After all, that's what the RAF Cosford event is doing isn't it?

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Jeez, I give up. Does no one actually look at what the main theme of this year's shows are? :dunno:

It would have been most appropriate in 1990 and 2015 to say let's not celebrate the RAF's finest hour, we don't want Spitfires and Hurricanes, we want big noisy fast jets from exotic places instead. Who needs history. :sleepy:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

CJS

Post by CJS »

capercaillie wrote:Jeez, I give up. Does no one actually look at what the main theme of this year's shows are? :dunno:

It would have been most appropriate in 1990 and 2015 to say let's not celebrate the RAF's finest hour, we don't want Spitfires and Hurricanes, we want big noisy fast jets from exotic places instead. Who needs history. :sleepy:

I don't often do this, but...

...+1 caper, +1 :up:

What a nonsense to suggest that RIAT shouldn't, as the RAF's official 100th birthday bash, celebrate, you know, the last 100 years of RAF history. :facepalm:

I would think (hope) that there will be flying displays from aircraft significantly older than the Vampires come July, so maybe you'll need to look elsewhere for your foreign exotica this year harkins :surrender:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

And DBH are so overwhelmed by 'exotic' Countries wanting to send 'big noisy fast jets' these days that they're fighting them off with a stick..... :whistle: :lol:
아직도 숨어있다