RIAT 2018 discussion

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby Go4Long on Thu 08 Feb 2018, 10:43 pm

TYPHOON3 wrote:False alarm on the Frecce,Facebook source was looking at an old 'confirmed aircraft' list from God knows when.Lets hope they still confirm eventually.


ah, yeah. Would be good of them to come again.
User avatar
Go4Long

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby spotterwilliam on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 9:00 am

Tom105 wrote:Another self confirmation in the form of the Belgian A109, will be good to see as never seen their display before :yahoo:


It's a nice demo when it's able to use flares...
spotterwilliam

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby convair on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 11:26 am

See BBMF schedule shows Lancaster and six fighters (plus Dakota flypast) for all three "main" days of show
User avatar
convair

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby rdchawk on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 11:33 am

convair wrote:See BBMF schedule shows Lancaster and six fighters (plus Dakota flypast) for all three "main" days of show



Source? - As their website still has 2017 displays on
Known as Red 13,
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team
User avatar
rdchawk

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby convair on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 11:42 am

BBMF Members newsletter
User avatar
convair

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby rdchawk on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 11:46 am

Is the Lanc and 6 fighters a special display for the season or just for flypasts??
Known as Red 13,
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team
User avatar
rdchawk

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby convair on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 11:55 am

Looking through the list RIAT is only one with that many attendees. Cosford gets the normal 3 plus the Dak
User avatar
convair

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 12:42 pm

Assuming they can actually scrape together 6 airworthy fighters, that is.
Oh, and typically they're ignoring the poor old Chipmunk as usual :tongue2:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby CJS on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 12:51 pm

Be great if confirmed for all three days.
"Forewarned is forearmed"
User avatar
CJS

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby Go4Long on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 1:54 pm

Has anyone seen any hints as to what this new Belgian demo jet looks like?
User avatar
Go4Long

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby rdchawk on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 2:10 pm

Go4Long wrote:Has anyone seen any hints as to what this new Belgian demo jet looks like?


Pointy nose with wings and an engine.
Known as Red 13,
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team
User avatar
rdchawk

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 2:46 pm

Looks something like an F-16, apparently.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable


Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby rdchawk on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 3:41 pm

Go4Long wrote:Everyone's a comedian. lol


Have you seen the post in aviation waffle?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80093
Known as Red 13,
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team
User avatar
rdchawk

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby Go4Long on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 3:59 pm

rdchawk wrote:
Go4Long wrote:Everyone's a comedian. lol


Have you seen the post in aviation waffle?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80093


Had not seen that. Thanks.
User avatar
Go4Long


Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 11:19 pm

Don't the ROKs get enough A-10 role demos as it is ! :lol:

And to save anyone else posting it......I see there's a gap in that schedule which matches when RIAT's on, and the list does say "subject to change"..... :ninja: :whistle:
:biggrin:
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby edhunter on Sat 10 Feb 2018, 8:48 am

I wouldn't be surprised if they inform dbh first before changing the schedule like they did last year with the
f-22 raptor demo.
edhunter

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby aviodromefriend on Sat 10 Feb 2018, 10:18 am

Brevet Cable wrote:Assuming they can actually scrape together 6 airworthy fighters, that is.
Oh, and typically they're ignoring the poor old Chipmunk as usual :tongue2:
Isn't it the BBMF's policy to have at least one aircraft undergoing major maintenence at any time? It would rule out a Lancaster, 6 fighters and the Dakota at the same show (unless their aircraft in maintenance is a DHC-1).
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program
User avatar
aviodromefriend

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby The Baron on Sat 10 Feb 2018, 11:13 pm

aviodromefriend wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:Assuming they can actually scrape together 6 airworthy fighters, that is.
Oh, and typically they're ignoring the poor old Chipmunk as usual :tongue2:
Isn't it the BBMF's policy to have at least one aircraft undergoing major maintenence at any time? It would rule out a Lancaster, 6 fighters and the Dakota at the same show (unless their aircraft in maintenance is a DHC-1).


No it wouldn't. They have six Spitfires to start with.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.
User avatar
The Baron

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 11 Feb 2018, 12:47 am

6 Spitfires & 2 Hurricanes, isn't it?
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby harkins on Tue 13 Feb 2018, 10:10 am

Having seen the teaser image of the Belgian F-16 display aircraft, I was just thinking that it is more than likely to appear at the Tattoo this year, but equally unlikely it seems is that we’ll see a Dutch equivalent. I think I’m right in saying that there has been no Dutch jet display since 2014 and it was the year before that they last had a display schemed aircraft.

This in turn led me to ponder what fast jet displays are known or assumed to be on the circuit this year – mainly thinking European circuit as to me things like the Canadian Hornet are exotic surprises. The ones I could think of are;

Pretty much confirmed:
F-16 Belgian AF
F-18 Swiss AF
Typhoon RAF
Rafale M pair French Navy
Mirage 2000 ‘Couteau Delta’ French AF*
SwAFHF*

Assumed:
F-16 Turkish AF (SoloTurk)
F-16 Greek AF (Team Zeus)
Rafale C French AF
Gripen Swedish AF
Gripen Czech AF
F-16 Polish AF

In the context of RIAT 2018, I recall that Couteau Delta have self-confirmed not to be there and the SwAFHF are highly unlikely to be displaying their Viggen or Draken for a number of reasons. The French Navy’s Rafale pair also seem very unlikely to be at RIAT based on the Bastille day clash and that they’ve already confirmed for Yeovilton.

What else is there that I’ve missed or perhaps included that likely won’t be on the circuit?
User avatar
harkins

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby rdchawk on Tue 13 Feb 2018, 10:14 am

harkins wrote:Having seen the teaser image of the Belgian F-16 display aircraft, I was just thinking that it is more than likely to appear at the Tattoo this year, but equally unlikely it seems is that we’ll see a Dutch equivalent. I think I’m right in saying that there has been no Dutch jet display since 2014 and it was the year before that they last had a display schemed aircraft.

This in turn led me to ponder what fast jet displays are known or assumed to be on the circuit this year – mainly thinking European circuit as to me things like the Canadian Hornet are exotic surprises. The ones I could think of are;

Pretty much confirmed:
F-16 Belgian AF
F-18 Swiss AF
Typhoon RAF
Rafale M pair French Navy
Mirage 2000 ‘Couteau Delta’ French AF*
SwAFHF*

Assumed:
F-16 Turkish AF (SoloTurk)
F-16 Greek AF (Team Zeus)
Rafale C French AF
Gripen Swedish AF
Gripen Czech AF
F-16 Polish AF

In the context of RIAT 2018, I recall that Couteau Delta have self-confirmed not to be there and the SwAFHF are highly unlikely to be displaying their Viggen or Draken for a number of reasons. The French Navy’s Rafale pair also seem very unlikely to be at RIAT based on the Bastille day clash and that they’ve already confirmed for Yeovilton.

What else is there that I’ve missed or perhaps included that likely won’t be on the circuit?


To name a few other possibilities

Hungarian Gripen
Danish F-16
Finnish F-18
Polish SU22's
Ukrainian SU27's
Spanish Typhoon or Hornet
Italian Typhoon, Tornado or AMX
Known as Red 13,
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team
User avatar
rdchawk

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby harkins on Tue 13 Feb 2018, 10:40 am

rdchawk wrote:To name a few other possibilities

Hungarian Gripen
Danish F-16
Finnish F-18
Polish SU22's
Ukrainian SU27's
Spanish Typhoon or Hornet
Italian Typhoon, Tornado or AMX


The Finnish F-18 is a regular isn't it. I'd have thought there is more likelihood of the Poles having an F-16 or possibly still the Mig-29 before we see Su-22's again. Must admit that I see the Ukrainian Flankers as an exotic long shot rather than a circuit regular. Do the Spanish alternate yearly between Typhoon and Hornet displays? I'd love to see the Tornado again. I didn't know the Danes had a solo display. When was that last seen at RIAT? Do the Norwegians not work up an F16 demo anymore?
User avatar
harkins

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Postby Tommy on Tue 13 Feb 2018, 10:51 am

harkins wrote: I didn't know the Danes had a solo display. When was that last seen at RIAT?


Very seldom seen. It displayed at Yeovilton last year, and given that the Danish Airshow takes place again this year, I would imagine that the Danish F-16 display is on the cards in 2018. Whether it crosses the sea remains to be seen, as I said, it's comparatively shy on the European airshow circuit. It last displayed at RIAT in 2011.

Norwegians don't, AFAIK, host a regular F-16 display these days. I believe they did in 2012 (with a gorgeous painted jet), but I think that was an exception to the rule.
User avatar
Tommy
UKAR Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Royal International Air Tattoo

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: boff180, Frogfoot, james908, MazzaStar, Seamus, sithrity, Smog Monster, vulcanshammer and 18 guests

cron