Departures explained

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
kianelle

Departures explained

Post by kianelle »

Thinking of going to watch this year never been before .can you stand anywhere along the runway if not were can you stand and which area is best for takeoffs ..thanks

cg_341

Re: Departures explained

Post by cg_341 »

kianelle

Post by kianelle »

I did read the post in link .but I don't understand the p&v west ? and still don't know if you can stand anywhere along the runway to watch departures .thanks

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

To answer your question - no you can't.

There are two public enclosures - east and west. These are fenced off compounds, located at the end of each runway.

This is the only area you can stand unless you are FRIAT who gain access to their enclosure at crowd centr.

Andy

coanda

Post by coanda »

Ok, essentially, no you can't stand anywhere along the runway.

For all intents and purposes it is an active airfield on the wednesday, thursday and monday. Those in the FRIAT enclosure are gated in except at lunchtime.

Similarly, the park and view 'viewing' areas are sectioned off areas located roughly at each end of the runway - obviously set back.

Does that help?

kianelle

Post by kianelle »

Thank you ...I'm taking it then west for takeoffs in air and east ready for takeoffs or is it other way around ..thanks again

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

That is when 27 is in use, if it is 09 then it is the other way around
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

coanda

Post by coanda »

Nah, east is generally the pre takeoff taxi and takeoff area, as the prevailing wind is often from the west, so the aircraft will line up at the east end on rway 27

West is generally for post landing taxiing and for seeing the aircraft climb out after they've left the ground. They have had helicopters depart from near P&V West in the past, which can offset not seeing other aircraft taxi/takeoff. Some aircraft also have deliberately held low and not climbed out until very near the end of the runway which no doubt is a bonus for the climbout end guys.

This is swapped if the wind is from the east, as we've seen from boff's posts in the live thread. This can change throughout the day, but it is unlikely that you will be able to!

Edit: corrections and some more info based on past riats.

kianelle

Post by kianelle »

Thanks all

globemaster50

Post by globemaster50 »

Just as a head's up - Monday's park and view is nearly sold out according to the lady at park and view today. They have sold out online and the only tickets left are the few on sale now at the park and view ticket booth before it reaches capacity.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

globemaster50 wrote:Just as a head's up - Monday's park and view is nearly sold out according to the lady at park and view today. They have sold out online and the only tickets left are the few on sale now at the park and view ticket booth before it reaches capacity.

If that is the case then surely there is a case for expanding the area in future? Seeing as RIAT exists to generate money for the charity that would seem to be 'easy money' as the only costs must be for security and things like Portaloos. £19.50 of the Monday price of £20 must be pure profit so enlarging the area to meet demand would be a worthwhile boost to the 'bottom line'.

kph100

Post by kph100 »

Assuming 27 is in use, which with wind is likely...

Trying to decide to go West or East. I appreciate not all aircraft will stay low.

Thinking from a photography view point as would it fair if in East only the first row guys will get unobstructed taxi to runway pics.

Never been before considering options.

Thank you

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

Its a bit confusing. Web site says Monday P&V sold out but also says tickets only available on the gate. I've always paid on the day before but if I travel am I guaranteed to get in?
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

tankbuster wrote:I've always paid on the day before but if I travel am I guaranteed to get in?

For the past few years there's been a finite number of "on the gate" tickets available, which I presume they then added the unsold online tickets to to give a larger on the gate allocation.

This year, the number of on the gate tickets may well be fewer than previous so if you're not arriving early then I doubt you'd be guaranteed a ticket.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

I know at the western P&V that you park up, then walk through the gates/tent into the enclosure. Is that the same this year?

I am just wondering if you aren't able to get a ticket on the day, that at least you could watch from the car park, as other people have in the past?

Not sure whether to try P&V East or West, and whether to chuck the Bike in the boot, and cycle from Lechlade as a last resort if both those options fail.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

I only go on Monday and normally pay on the day but decided to buy tickets a few weeks ago. In theory you can watch from the car park which has a raised view. However last year we went back to the car while awaiting the last Monday arrival and were asked to produce out tickets. We were told some people had been viewing from the car park without paying. It is normally 3/4 deep on the fence but im not too bothered as Im only there for the serials.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

I haven't got a ticket as I wanted to make sure I was at the right end of the runway!
Suppose I won't know until the day.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

I don't think tickets are 'end specific' - they can used in either end.

I suspect the headcount will be somewhat reduced now it is common knowledge that most the USAF stuff isn't leaving til Tues at the earliest.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Thanks, I will know for next year now. :)

I read that 2x U-2s are leaving tomorrow.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Sorry for all the questions, can you swap ends, ie if you go into East, then decide to go to West, do you have to buy another ticket or is it interchangeable between ends?

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

FGR2 wrote:Sorry for all the questions, can you swap ends, ie if you go into East, then decide to go to West, do you have to buy another ticket or is it interchangeable between ends?

You can move between ends
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Looks like a North Easterly wind tomorrow, so possibly thinking they will be on 09.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

How early would you have to be there to buy at the gate?

Any known times for Ukranians?

East or west?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Car Park opens at 6am.

Enclosure opens at 7.30am

I imagine that tickets would be available when the enclosure opens??

I am aiming to leave about 4am, to miss the M25 rush.