RIAT Tat

Re: RIAT Tat

Postby BDL on Tue 18 Jul 2017, 8:17 am

Ian2211 wrote:
BDL wrote:Has to be said I have amassed mor tat than usual. How the hell the Mrs isn't going to notice the new T-shirt collection! I think I've overdone it a bit.


Have to laugh, I have done exactly the same. Got a bag full of t-shirts. Don't think the Mrs was too impressed


She noticed, oh well.
Forget the EFL, it's all about the National League.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigdl2009/
User avatar
BDL

Re: RIAT Tat

Postby AARDVARK on Tue 18 Jul 2017, 10:24 am

Well I bought a lovely signed lithograph(squadron print)from Italian tornado team and patch ,£20 for both.
Free (signed)RAF Tonka lithograph from the crews at pinky.
Best value for me..went to the Squadron print stand and enquired if they were going to get some U2 prints signed"too much hassle"was the reply..so I simply bought a U2 (unsigned print for £10)took it to the guys that were by the static dragon lady and got all the pilots to sign it ...job done :).
Oooo and did buy 1,that's 1 limited Greek Phantom patch not 20/30 patches as some horders were!!
AARDVARK

Re: RIAT Tat

Postby Vodka on Tue 18 Jul 2017, 4:23 pm

"Raptor stool" :hide:


Christ on a bike. . . please guys get it right, its stall not 'stool'! Whch is a completely different item and youll be more than complaining at the price . Get that in your palm, at whatver price and you'll asking for a Bobby Sands dirty protest! (look him up if you don't know)

But from the LN stall! - Two rubber patches 492/494 sq's £15 each and a £30 Reapers' Tee. :cool:
Vodka

Re: RIAT Tat

Postby dhassell on Tue 18 Jul 2017, 7:06 pm

Vodka wrote:"Raptor stool" :hide:


Christ on a bike. . . please guys get it right, its stall not 'stool'! Whch is a completely different item and youll be more than complaining at the price . Get that in your palm, at whatver price and you'll asking for a Bobby Sands dirty protest! (look him up if you don't know)

But from the LN stall! - Two rubber patches 492/494 sq's £15 each and a £30 Reapers' Tee. :cool:


What's the point getting annoyed at someone for using their own dialect/accent?
It's no different than someone from Manchester saying a word different to someone from London! :question:
dhassell

Re: RIAT Tat

Postby G-CVIX on Tue 18 Jul 2017, 7:22 pm

dhassell wrote:
Vodka wrote:"Raptor stool" :hide:


Christ on a bike. . . please guys get it right, its stall not 'stool'! Whch is a completely different item and youll be more than complaining at the price . Get that in your palm, at whatver price and you'll asking for a Bobby Sands dirty protest! (look him up if you don't know)

But from the LN stall! - Two rubber patches 492/494 sq's £15 each and a £30 Reapers' Tee. :cool:


What's the point getting annoyed at someone for using their own dialect/accent?
It's no different than someone from Manchester saying a word different to someone from London! :question:


Do I really have to do this?

stall:

noun

a stand, booth, or compartment for the sale of goods in a market or large covered area.
"fruit and vegetable stalls"
synonyms: stand, table, counter, booth, kiosk, compartment
"a market stall"

stool:

noun
1.
a seat without a back or arms, typically resting on three or four legs or on a single pedestal.
2.
a piece of faeces.
"fibre in the child's diet will soften the stools"

It's not a matter of dialect, it's two different words with two different meanings.
User avatar
G-CVIX

Re: RIAT Tat

Postby AARDVARK on Tue 25 Jul 2017, 11:58 am

Anyway ...what else did people purchase ?
AARDVARK

Re: RIAT Tat

Postby Airwolfhound on Tue 25 Jul 2017, 12:33 pm

Well, I followed 'Traveller's' rule of airshow enthusiast and spent well over £50 on die-cast models :lol: Got the Belgian F16 model from their merch stall on the Saturday, and a Hawkeye and Viking from the Hobby Master range at the Aviation Retail Direct stall in the P&V East enclosure on the Wednesday (a bit of a tradition :grin: ).

Also bought the U2 pint glass which came with the obligatory certificate.

For the first time I bought a few patches, from the SOF Maintainers by the Osprey, and again the U2 lot. Got a free Midnight Hawks patch when they came to the FRIAT grandstand.

Amy got a load of tshirts, she seemed to get on well with the aircrew at various stalls, always handy having her around :grin:

Plus, have got a very high keep rate of pics from the 3,000 that I took (not machine-gunned).

All in all, a very successful trip and have already booked our Mach 3 for next year :smile:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)
Airwolfhound

Re: RIAT Tat

Postby Wrexham Mackem on Tue 25 Jul 2017, 1:00 pm

I was tempted by a Ukranian cap until I realised it had been very well worn - I think the crew were selling everything they could, even their own kit. I wonder if anybody went for the dagger? :grin:

I ended up with a Soloturk cap, Couteau Delta tee and F-22 demo team tee. Not much, but still fifty quid's worth.

All in all though, all I can conclude is that there is a worldwide shortage of cheap cotton that I wasn't aware of, or there was some rampant profiteering going on around the show ground. Eye watering!
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums
User avatar
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT Tat

Postby vulcanshammer on Tue 25 Jul 2017, 1:22 pm

boff180 wrote:I bought one too hehe

As an example of just how late the cancellation of the A-4 was, yesterday afternoon (and possibly today) you will find the ground crew that had been sent over prior set up a stall adjacent to the German Typhoons selling patches!

They were just as gutted as us saying they had even prepared a spare airframe in case the chosen one went tech! :-(


Such a shame! What was the reason for the cancellation? Both airframes required for ops? Sorry if this has already been said, I missed it if so.
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better
User avatar
vulcanshammer

Re: RIAT Tat

Postby 138EAW on Tue 25 Jul 2017, 1:35 pm

AARDVARK wrote:Anyway ...what else did people purchase ?


54 patches :oops: also ended up with two free patches, one from Midnight Hawk in FRIAT and the other from the Alpha Jet pilots
Last edited by 138EAW on Tue 25 Jul 2017, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

RAF Tornados left in service =22
GR4 =19, GR4(T) =3
User avatar
138EAW

Re: RIAT Tat

Postby JJC on Tue 25 Jul 2017, 1:38 pm

Anyone have a Midnight Hawks patch they'd be willing to sell? I collect display team patches and wasn't able to acquire one. PM me if necessary.


Thanks,
JJC :smile:
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''
User avatar
JJC

Re: RIAT Tat

Postby mikek on Tue 25 Jul 2017, 4:31 pm

the tat is a must for me. usually 1/2 is fantastic & 1/2 is rubbish but this year was all good :smile:

Grim Reapers T .... 'Trust us, you're dead' :smile: :smile:
Raptor demo team T (to replace the one i gave my son after last year. very glad to have got a replacement :biggrin: . missed the stand on the friday so that was the first place i went on the Sat)
Signed Italian Tornado team litho, bargain price from their stand. :smile:
Couple of Airfix type kits, Osprey @ store price & a real nice DC-3 at sale price :smile: . always buy some kits, but my buy rate is 10 x my build rate :sad:

fink that's it. forgot to get another 'remove before flight' keyring which i like to use & switch every year but no probs.
a good year.
Handsomest UKAR member.
User avatar
mikek

Re: RIAT Tat

Postby Herkdriver on Wed 26 Jul 2017, 11:40 am

Well it was a big year for patches and other tat at RIAT. 61 patches total with 4 freebie/trades. And about 10 stickers and 2 T-shirts. But I do have a few questions and a few observations.

1. Where was the Thunderbird merchandise? Not a single stall or table. Not that I collect much of the Thunderbird stuff but what a missed opportunity for the team and spectators. And yes I know about the P&V fence line where apparently some of the thunderbird guys were selling out of a plastic carrier bag the unofficial pvc patch for RIAT. Unfortunately I found this out later after the show as did most collectors. But I did find one in the end through a trade with a friend.

2. The F-22 Raptor Demo team table. Where was it? I didn't see it on Friday or Saturday. I haven't seen anyone post any pics on FB or other forums with a Raptor Demo patch but it looks like it was the same one as last year anyway.

3. The B-52 crew on Friday and Saturday were selling PVC patches at 25£ and cloth at 20£! That is outrageous. I didn't think many would buy them but by the end of Saturday it looked like they had sold out of several designs. These patches can be bought on the designers website for a lot less and that's with shipping to the UK. I didn't buy any at the show. But I fear this will continue and more sqns will start doing this especially in the UK.

4. Overall there were quite a few sqns selling merchandise and some great ones were the Italian 311 group, Couteau Delta, Greek Phantoms, French Alpha Jets, the Ukrainians, and the Japanese. Most of the other nations patches were reasonably priced. But wow the mass of people at the Ukrainian stand was unreal.

5. The midnight hawks were great and especially for trying on the Saturday in the murk to do a display. But I and many other collectors were disappointed to find that they were handing out free patches in the FRIAT stand. Great for those guys but a shame for the rest of us. Hopefully I have one sorted now though.

It was a great show and there was lots of tat out there. That was the biggest haul yet and I hope RIAT continues to do well. And I hope the sqns continue to bring more stuff to sell however I hope that the prices don't go the way of the B-52 stall!

Todd
Herkdriver

Re: RIAT Tat

Postby Wrexham Mackem on Wed 26 Jul 2017, 11:55 am

Herkdriver wrote:
1. Where was the Thunderbird merchandise? Not a single stall or table. Not that I collect much of the Thunderbird stuff but what a missed opportunity for the team and spectators. And yes I know about the P&V fence line where apparently some of the thunderbird guys were selling out of a plastic carrier bag the unofficial pvc patch for RIAT. Unfortunately I found this out later after the show as did most collectors. But I did find one in the end through a trade with a friend.

2. The F-22 Raptor Demo team table. Where was it? I didn't see it on Friday or Saturday. I haven't seen anyone post any pics on FB or other forums with a Raptor Demo patch but it looks like it was the same one as last year anyway.



Having seen the Thunderbirds merch in the US last year, we didn't miss much. I didn't buy anything then. Nowhere near as nice as the Blue Angels stuff :grin:

The F-22 Demo Team stall was on the raised ground between B-52 and blue gate. Obvious once you knew it was there. I can't recall whether they had patches or not, but they had plenty of other tat at reasonable - unlike the B-52! - prices.
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums
User avatar
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT Tat

Postby 138EAW on Wed 26 Jul 2017, 2:07 pm

The Raptor demo team had 94th FS patches. From memory Kadena deployment patch, Keep calm patch and one or two squadron crests, they wanted £20 each. At that point I started walking away :grin:

They were asking the same for the maintenance coin shape like the F-22 and other challenge coins . My mate James or JamesV9820 on here, said that was too much, i'll give you £10 for the maintenance coin and they accepted :lol: Should have tried that with the patches :grin:
Gary

RAF Tornados left in service =22
GR4 =19, GR4(T) =3
User avatar
138EAW

Re: RIAT Tat

Postby Wissam24 on Wed 26 Jul 2017, 3:26 pm

138EAW wrote:The Raptor demo team had 94th FS patches. From memory Kadena deployment patch, Keep calm patch and one or two squadron crests, they wanted £20 each. At that point I started walking away :grin:

They were asking the same for the maintenance coin shape like the F-22 and other challenge coins . My mate James or JamesV9820 on here, said that was too much, i'll give you £10 for the maintenance coin and they accepted :lol: Should have tried that with the patches :grin:


I tried haggling the B-2 guy down by a fiver on a fairly large purchase - he was having none of it!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
User avatar
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT Tat

Postby Herkdriver on Wed 26 Jul 2017, 3:32 pm

Gary,
Good to know. Sounds like I didn't miss much then from the Raptor table. It seems like a daft location for their table. I wonder why they were not up with the other demo team stands or at least over by the other US fighter tables. But at those crazy prices it sounds like it would not have mattered!

Todd
Herkdriver

Previous

Return to Royal International Air Tattoo

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests