2017 Awards

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
pbeardmore

Re: 2017 Awards

Post by pbeardmore »

One of the guys in our group is a pilot and the PC9 display was one of the big highlights for him and I could see why.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

st24

Post by st24 »

TYPHOON3 wrote:BBMF were more worthy winners than the Typhoon for me.The SU-27 and F-22 were the best jet demos.Totally agree on the Italian Tornado for best livery.My opinions are based on viewing from Totterdown rather than from the showground.

I agree 100% with your first sentence; a beautifully constructed and flown sequence whereas the "Annual RAF Typhoon trophy", sorry I mean the "Best British display trophy" yet again fell to the Eurovision-esque direction of an okay, not the best, RAF Typhoon pilot. Given the all British crew perhaps even the A400M should have won it.
I disagree 100% with your second sentence - the Su-27 was a powerful novelty display lacking the Flanker specialities we've (well those of a certain age) become used to, some of it's rolls, particularly the last of the final 3 were decidedly ropy. The F-22 was okay and it's only when you see it with the commentary you realise the lengthy re-positioning times coincide with a break in the unholy racket of this thing so as the announcer can talk! It lacked the flowing continuity of when we first saw it - I still rate the 2008 demos during rehearsals extremely highly, they were excellent displays.
The superb RSV Tornado is one of the best displays by this beast I think I've ever seen and that goes back a looong way! It did seem a little more distant than when at Cosford, but then of course it was keeping it tight so as to completely avoid Albrighton..And that scheme, wow but there was a lot of competition this year.
And being as you were watching from Totterdown you have no place to comment! :grin:

Made up for the PC-9 pilot, a well deserved trophy winner; has always been a super display item- in fact I struggle to ever recall a poor Pilatus PC7/9/21 display of any kind!
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

mafro987daboss

Post by mafro987daboss »

The Rafale was definitely the best display of the year (I'm pretty [*sure - don't want to ruin the joke] it's won that award a few times since its debut already).
Last edited by mafro987daboss on Tue 18 Jul 2017, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

mafro987daboss wrote: (I'm pretty it's won that award a few times since its debut already).

You're OK, but don't be so vain! :pinkwafer:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

mafro987daboss

Post by mafro987daboss »

capercaillie wrote:
mafro987daboss wrote: (I'm pretty it's won that award a few times since its debut already).

You're OK, but don't be so vain! :pinkwafer:

In RIAT week all my comments are missing a word as I frantically type with excitement!

MikeCooper1990

Post by MikeCooper1990 »

I noticed in the RIAT programme that there was a section on 'Gala Dinner Awards' and mentioned 2016's winners. Does anyone know who the winners and runners up were this year?
2023: Shuttleworth, Abingdon, RIAT, Duxford

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

MikeCooper1990 wrote:I noticed in the RIAT programme that there was a section on 'Gala Dinner Awards' and mentioned 2016's winners. Does anyone know who the winners and runners up were this year?

Try reading the thread...

There in black and white on the previous page.

Canon

Post by Canon »

AARDVARK wrote:I know we can all mock the t birds but it was an achievement to actually get a continental display team over to the UK ,just for the 1 show,it only happenes rarely (last time the Angels were in the U.K. was 1992!)and it was 10yrs since the T Birds so it's great to see these rare and exotic teams from far and awide !

6 years actually, not 10.... Waddington 2011 was the last time for the Thunderbirds
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 70-300mm L
Sigma 18-300mm C

RIAT Air Ops

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

G-CVIX wrote:All are worthy winners if you disregard the three political wins....

Which in your opinion are?

RIAT Air Ops

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

The Baron wrote:BBMF would have been much more worthy winners than the Typhoon. They displayed incredibly well in less than ideal conditions. If not then then RAFAT.
Loving the fact they created an award just for the Thunderbirds! Priceless!

The CEO Award was extant in 2016 as well with it being awarded to 'Team F-35' for the efforts made to ensure participation that year.

RIAT Air Ops

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

aviodromefriend wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:http://www.airtattoo.com/news/2017/jul/17/top-displays-honoured-at-air-tattoo
Another winner for the second year running was Maj Dan 'Rock' Dickinson of the US Air Force's 1st Fighter Wing at Langley Air Force Base, Virginia, for his Lockheed Martin F-22A Raptor demonstration. He will this time take home the Paul Bowen Trophy, presented in memory of Royal International Air Tattoo co-founder Paul Bowen, for the best jet demonstration, presented on the night by Jon Windover, from Ocean Software. The judges said the Raptor's performance was a "consistently accurate, powerful and superbly executed solo jet demonstration". "This is just absolutely awesome", said 'Rock', "especially on the eve of the 70th anniversary of the Air Force. Again, to be representing the United States Air Force and the F-22 Raptor, our team is just humbled and honoured to win such an outstanding award, and especially to see some of the past names that are on that trophy."
So the unnecessary scrubbing all flyers won the Paul Bowen award? Sorry guys, but that is a major insult to Paul.

Sorry, don't understand your statement.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

RIAT Air Ops wrote:
G-CVIX wrote:All are worthy winners if you disregard the three political wins....

I actually mostly retract that statement tbh, but initially I meant Thunderbirds, F-22, and RAF Typhoon. Probably a little ignorance on my part.

Is it a panel or it is it individuals specific to each award that decide who wins what, out of curiosity?

CJS

Post by CJS »

It does seem like the Thunderbirds had an award made up for them to be fair.
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

CJS wrote:It does seem like the Thunderbirds had an award made up for them to be fair.

If so ,maybe just a way of showing appreciation for the time/money and effort in coming over ?
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

RIAT Air Ops

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

G-CVIX wrote:
RIAT Air Ops wrote:

I actually mostly retract that statement tbh, but initially I meant Thunderbirds, F-22, and RAF Typhoon. Probably a little ignorance on my part.

Is it a panel or it is it individuals specific to each award that decide who wins what, out of curiosity?

All of the flying display awards are recommended by our Flying Control Committee who look at a range of criteria for the displays including adherence to UK display flying regulations and compliance with the daily RIAT flying display briefings.

The Crow Flies and Best Paint Scheme are FRIAT awards and the CEO Award, instigated last year, was brought about as a means to reward participants that have gone above and beyond to participate at RIAT.

Cheers, Tom