RIAT 2018 wishlist

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
aviodromefriend

Re: RIAT 2018 wishlist

Post by aviodromefriend »

Water bowsers. Didn't find any this year.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Dan213

Post by Dan213 »

aviodromefriend wrote:Water bowsers. Didn't find any this year.

Saw loads in the showground this year. At least 4 or 5 in each zone

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

Tell ya what would be a pleasant change Royal Jordanian heavy metal, appreciate their presence every year with "Guts Airline/Jordanian Falcons" bless 'em. But it would be brilliant if one year they could include a couple of fighters. Maybe a pair of F-5's or F-16's, like the Mirage F1's that used to display in the 1980's... :smile:

The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

My wishlist:

A-10
C-5
F-35
Some RAF Tonkas
More Russian heavy metal, whichever country it comes from
F/A-18
F-15

Obviously flying would be ideal but I'd take static if needed.

Adamwilliams132

Post by Adamwilliams132 »

Been thinking what we could get for the RAF 100 theme. Literally a list I'm writing now of what could be available that has served the RAF
BBMF
Meteors there's a few flying in the uk I believe
Norwegian vampires or another example again I believe there's a couple flying
Indian jags ? Long shot but maybe
Greek phantoms
The whirlwind served the RAF search and rescue well for years
A sea king
WW1 display team
Anson
Dakota
Blenheim
Gnat
Hunter
Harrier Spanish or USMC
There's plenty of prop trainer variants flying in the U.K. So I won't list those.
Any more obvious RAF related attendees I've missed ?

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Adamwilliams132 wrote:Been thinking what we could get for the RAF 100 theme. Literally a list I'm writing now of what could be available that has served the RAF
BBMF
Meteors there's a few flying in the uk I believe
Norwegian vampires or another example again I believe there's a couple flying
Indian jags ? Long shot but maybe
Greek phantoms
The whirlwind served the RAF search and rescue well for years
A sea king
WW1 display team
Anson
Dakota
Blenheim
Gnat
Hunter
Harrier Spanish or USMC
There's plenty of prop trainer variants flying in the U.K. So I won't list those.
Any more obvious RAF related attendees I've missed ?

Wessex, Bristol Sycamore, Jet Provost: how about a special Coastal Command scheme for Sally B?

BBMF must have had a big hand in persuading the Canadians to tour with the Lanc, wouldn't this be a good time to persuade one of the US Mosquito owners to tour? (Especially since its 75 years since Op Chastise as well.... time for another trip to Derwent, first time for F35B as 617 stands up January 2018?)

John

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Depends what's still about ( I know some types are ) they should also include the much overlooked - almost forgotten - post-WW2 transport aircraft the RAF used....Dove/Devon, Heron, Pembroke/Prince, Jetstream, HS-125/Dominie, etc.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

I wonder if museum airframes will be trucked in as they were for centenary of flight show ?

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Sorry if mentioned before but whats the situation with the HHA Hunters? Any chance of paint schemes or a formation display?
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

I wouldn't mind seeing the Saudi hawks making a return.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

edhunter wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing the Saudi hawks making a return.

Me too. Gives me a proper chance to get my lunch :grin:

skidd40

Post by skidd40 »

I know they do not fit in with the theme but i would love to see the aspa patrol , i was still on the bus last time at Waddington so didn't get the full view but looked good or at least would be something different

aviodromefriend

skidd40 wrote:I know they do not fit in with the theme but i would love to see the aspa patrol ,
Only if the crowdline was shortened massively. It is a great show as long as the crowd is close to the action, else it is hardly a Eurocopter role demo (judging from seeing them from long (Gilze-Rijen, although not as long as Fairford) and short (Radom) crowdlines).

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

aviodromefriend wrote:
skidd40 wrote:I know they do not fit in with the theme but i would love to see the aspa patrol ,
Only if the crowdline was shortened massively. It is a great show as long as the crowd is close to the action, else it is hardly a Eurocopter role demo (judging from seeing them from long (Gilze-Rijen, although not as long as Fairford) and short (Radom) crowdlines).

I have to agree, they do perform a great display, but after seeing them at Sanicole this year, they did a great display I front of a short display area, but with somewhere like RIAT, they would be very underwhelming, unless you where in the FRIAT seats you'd only see dots.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Sadly don’t expect the Smokey Bandits.

Last week the RMAF permanently grounded the entire Mig-29 fleet rather than upgrade them. The fleets future is now uncertain.

Rossbeef

Post by Rossbeef »

The Ukrainian Su-27 was my highlight this year so would absolutely love it to be there next year. Anything else would be a bonus.

As I only went on the Saturday this year, The B-2 would also be one of my wishes.

As a Farnborough year, I assume we could expect the F/A-18 Super Hornet. Perhaps something from China? Chengdu J-20.

Like I said though, Su-27 would be my main wish, anything else a bonus!

I look forward to the first update and hoping for Mr Mole next year!

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Rossbeef wrote:As a Farnborough year, I assume we could expect the F/A-18 Super Hornet. Perhaps something from China? Chengdu J-20.

Is that even a little bit possible? Honest question, I'd rank it along the same lines as the PAK-FA, so incredibly unlikely...just curious if it's actually a possibility?

aviodromefriend

Go4Long wrote:
Rossbeef wrote:As a Farnborough year, I assume we could expect the F/A-18 Super Hornet. Perhaps something from China? Chengdu J-20.

Is that even a little bit possible? Honest question, I'd rank it along the same lines as the PAK-FA, so incredibly unlikely...just curious if it's actually a possibility?
How are the diplomatic relations between China and the UK? Not good enough for such a thing, I suppose. I don't think China has been on the list of invited countries for years.

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Kind of what I figured. Thanks.

Russia appears to be in the same boat, since I'm not seeing any mention of them on the archived aircraft lists going back to 2006.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Did not the reds visit China recently?

Should we not think it might happen through a reciprocal visit? And if China isn’t on the list, why not if we can trade and visit them?

Ah politics is a wonderful,thing huh?
Got to love Russianhardware

sunwing

Post by sunwing »

How about a ukranian airforce su-24 and the ever elusive a4 skyhawk

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Can't remember if it's been said, or even if I said it, but it's been ages since I've seen those great German CH-53s. Seem to be a lot more airshow-shy since they were transferred to the Luftwaffe.

One of those would be tippy top.

Berf

Post by Berf »

aviodromefriend wrote:
Go4Long wrote:

How are the diplomatic relations between China and the UK? Not good enough for such a thing, I suppose. I don't think China has been on the list of invited countries for years.

The Peoples Liberation Army has sent representatives to the Edinburgh Tattoo so I don't see why the Air Force cannot send anything. I still think it is the right year for August 1st debut. Being guest of honour at the RAF's 100th will be a big status thing for the Chinese and good for trade relations.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

aviodromefriend wrote:
Go4Long wrote:

Relations aren’t bad with China. If we are going to see the Chinese, this year is the most likely in my honest opinion. It won’t be the J-20 though.

The most likely candidates will be the JF-17/FC-1 most likely in Pakistan AF guide due to Farnborough or.. August 1st with their J-10s reciprocating the Reds visit for RAF100.

As for the Russians I don’t foresee anything from them in Europe whilst Putin is in power.

Of course all of it is complete guess work for now!

Andy

Berf

Post by Berf »

boff180 wrote:

As for the Russians I don’t foresee anything from them in Europe whilst Putin is in power.

Andy

Swifts were at Batajnica Serbia in October